Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Now now kids, we can refrain from the name calling cant we?:)

Anyway, when exactly is the keynote at Macworld this year so we can find out? Anyone got time/date details?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Some people just can't take it when they're shown to be wrong.

Case in point, review the meltdown that happened on AVS forums when Blu-Ray beat HD-DVD last year.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Some people just can't take it when they're shown to be wrong.

Case in point, review the meltdown that happened on AVS forums when Blu-Ray beat HD-DVD last year.

Its more like I'm not going to ignore petty attacks. And I'll only be "shown wrong" when there is a nano iPhone in your hand...

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Its more like I'm not going to ignore petty attacks. And I'll only be "shown wrong" when there is a nano iPhone in your hand...

Well the information leaks have begun, we've now got two separate cases that have been leaked, including one that actually has its order page built, and from the same company that accidentally leaked the info on the 3G iphone.

It could be very similar to when the original iphone was announced but didn't ship for a several months afterwards.

It also makes sense that if there is another model iphone coming, that they would want to stagger its release with a completely remodeled 3G iphone, which they would in all likelihood announce in June.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

Now that there is extremely strong evidence that lower end iPhones in the 4GB range with limited hardware functionality are about to be released by Apple, I thought it would be a fantastic time to resurrect this thread!

We are going to have a GREAT time laughing at all the geniuses here who proclaimed "it will never happen".

HA!

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
So it being 4GB means it will be Nano? I thought the idea behind the "Nano" was a smaller form factor? "We told you so" doesn't get to occur until there is a physical change in the iPhone form factor to something smaller.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
So it being 4GB means it will be Nano? I thought the idea behind the "Nano" was a smaller form factor? "We told you so" doesn't get to occur until there is a physical change in the iPhone form factor to something smaller.

It doesn't have to be a Nano. As many (including myself) pointed out earlier in this thread, Apple might also release a cost reduced (less hardware, like no auto focus and no video for example) iPhone that sells at a lower price point.

You'll see throughout this thread people bashing the idea of both a $99 cost reduced iPhone with less hardware as well as the idea of an iPhone sans unlimited data plan.

Now though we are getting indicators that both are coming.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
It doesn't have to be a Nano. As many (including myself) pointed out earlier in this thread, Apple might also release a cost reduced (less hardware, like no auto focus and no video for example) iPhone that sells at a lower price point.

You'll see throughout this thread people bashing the idea of both a $99 cost reduced iPhone with less hardware as well as the idea of an iPhone sans unlimited data plan.

Okay, I was speaking only to those who believe rumors of a 4GB iPhone mean that the "iPhone Nano" is on it's way. While I don't believe a limited hardware version is about to be announce, I do think it would be a good thing and I don't really understand the point of not having an unlimited data plan I think options are good and if people don't want it they shouldn't be forced to use one.

kisbys

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009

If they are putting less hardware into the phone surely it makes sence that they are also going to be able to make it smaller so an iphone nano makes alot of sence

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
If they are putting less hardware into the phone surely it makes sence that they are also going to be able to make it smaller so an iphone nano makes alot of sence

The problem becomes screen resolution, as the OS and applications seem to be optimized for a very specific screen size.

It is possible that they could slim down the top and bottom and make it thinner, which could qualify it for the "nano" moniker.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
The problem becomes screen resolution, as the OS and applications seem to be optimized for a very specific screen size.

It is possible that they could slim down the top and bottom and make it thinner, which could qualify it for the "nano" moniker.

This isn't true. Apple has been constant in instructing developers to make their applications resolution independent.

Read here

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
This isn't true. Apple has been constant in instructing developers to make their applications resolution independent.

Read here

I understand that, but the reality is that thousands of App Store offerings, especially entertainment ones like Bejeweled, FieldRunners, etc, etc, are not going to work well with a smaller screen, regardless of resolution.

Consider it more an issue of practicality than an issue of impossibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.