iPhone Nano Rumor (Yeah Right)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ImAwesome, Mar 19, 2011.

1. ImAwesome macrumors newbie

ImAwesome

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

But that's okay because they got traffic to their site!!! who cares if it's wrong!

4. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

This rumor has been around quite a while and has been discussed often here
    I think it is unlikely, but you never know

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think it is very unlikely that Apple will produce an iPhone Nano.

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I share your vision

7. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

It probably won't be happening, but i think it would be a really nice move by Apple. Think about it a cheap iPhone? It'll be a perfect way to counter Android at their own game.

8. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Everyone keeps saying it's going to be 'cheap' but that's not true. The parts will still be expensive as they will have to be made even smaller than they are now. And I personally see it as a stupid rumor in my opinion. Why would you want a smaller iPhone? It would cripple all the features of what makes the iPhone so amazing right now.

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Not really, because the cheaper iPhone will be a very simplified version of it, hence it will take less to make the smaller parts.
    Also, some people just want an iPhone to make phone calls and check email only?
    I believe Tim Cook said that they don't want the iPhone to be only for richer people.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm holding out for the iPhone Shuffle.

@Reach9, the cheaper iPhone already exists - it's last year's model. When Apple releases iPhone 5, they will continue to sell iPhone 4 at a reduced price, just as they currently sell the iPhone 3GS alongside the iPhone 4.

11. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

My family certainly is not rich at all. And we own 3 iPhones. We pay around $40 a month each for ours. So that statement is complete bogus. Also, gizmodo already posted an article that the iPhone nano will never happen. The cost of a smaller device will still be expensive. No matter what way you look at it. Apple would never make a small device with horrible hardware that runs slowly and terribly. That's not Apple like at all. If you want an phone to make calls and check email.. you should look at a second level phone that's able to check emails, surf the web and make calls.. but technically it's not classified as a full on smartphone. They are much cheaper, and usually free on a contract.

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

To add to your point, those are called feature phones. They're actually not being made anymore. Instead, some manufacturers are making low-end Android devices to fulfill that role.

So why wouldn't Apple do that, as well?

Because, contrary to what some had said in this thread, a smaller device does not cost less to manufacturer - in fact, it costs more to manufacturer. A smaller phone means smaller processors, it means smaller batteries, and so on. All of those things cost more to manufacturer.

Furthermore, Apple is not going to sacrifice its manufacturing strategy at Foxxconn by making a second device. That would completely break their single-device manufacturing efficiency.

13. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

There is a cheap iPhone, it's called the 3GS and after June the iPhone 4 will be the cheap iPhone ;)

14. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I've become very accustomed to the size of the iPhone screen, I would never want to go with something smaller.

I don't see the point of having a "no contract" version of the iPhone. Me personally, almost everything I use my iPhone for requires a data connection, which the "no contract" crowd is trying to avoid paying for. Seriously who buys an iPhone for the sole purpose of making phone calls and sending text messages? If I wanted an iPhone without a contract I would buy an iPod touch and just get a cheap go phone.

15. kevink2 macrumors 65816

If Apple continued to make a phone of approximately the same size, but had some other limitations (such as display resolution, reduced RAM, reduced flash, and maybe skip a few other features), the price can probably be dropped even further. Maybe even enough so it can be affordable without subsidy.

The 3GS is getting into that range now :)

Just redesign the case of the 3GS to look like the current generation of phone, so it doesn't look OLD, and continue to upgrade the OS past the 4 generation.

16. elan123 macrumors 6502

Solid point.