iPhone Nano...what's the point?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonedude121, Jan 19, 2009.

1. iphonedude121 macrumors newbie

Does anyone else think the iPhone Nano will be a waste of a product? Who wants a smaller version of the iPhone, is it really necessary?

I'd take the larger screen over size any day. Anyone else?

2. elistan macrumors 6502a

I'd like Apple to make a basic candy-bar phone. iPod nano shaped and sized. Whichever sort of display/input system Apple deems best. (I'd like the top half to be a touch screen, the bottom consisting of raised dialing buttons.) Phone calls, contacts, music, bluetooth, but that's it. No App Store, no web browsing, no email client, no EDGE, no 3G data. Free with two-year contract.

3. marine610610 macrumors regular

Why does everyone get upset about Nano threads? Just don't read them?

Anyway.. I think apple will make one to get those who cannot afford the full blown iphone into the market. They may not even need to make this one ATT exclusive... A lot of people would dig a phone that held their songs and worked with iTunes, not everyone needs or wants web browsing.

4. jason72780 macrumors regular

Didn't a basic phone that worked with iTunes exist? Anyone remember the moto rokr? Somebody here has to be one of the 12 people who bought one.

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

No but I was one of the 6 people who bought the Moto RAZR v3i with a primitive version of iTunes on it. I always got excited when people asked me about it because there was no one who had ever heard of it. LOL!! That phone was a POS btw...but it cool for it's time (pre iPhone). :D:D

6. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I had it too! loved showing Itunes to people :D

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

Since when did Apple start giving a **** about people who can't afford their products?

You're not going to see a cheap iPhone, it's just not the Apple way.

8. koko256 macrumors newbie

Quoting post above (...)

You mean, apple will never release a mac mini, an iBook and MacBook not pro, a nano, a shuffle? Apple has products for little budgets.

By the way, with my cheap phone, I can not only send, but receive MMS, and call my friends with video... because they don't own an iPhone! No need for them to pay for an internet connection to receive my lousy email and stupid msn calls. That is the main point for a new iPhone: use your phone with your friends who have no mobile internet for more advanced things than voice call.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

And obviously you're representative of every consumer in the world. :rolleyes: Like the idea or not, your argument boils down to "I wouldn't buy one", which is not really an argument at all.

10. firewood macrumors 604

Do you buy only the best selling products? Only the top selling model of car? Top selling brand of beer? Only chart topping music?

If not, that's pretty much proof that there's a huge market for stuff that you wouldn't "take".

There probably is a decent sized market segment that would prefer a smaller music player and phone, rather than have a touchscreen at all. Whether Apple has any interest in that market segment is another question. They certainly catered to it with the iPod Nano. It doesn't run apps, but still sells fairly well.

11. mrtune macrumors 6502a

The same thing was said about the iPod. Yet Apple catered to those who wanted simpler, cheaper, less featured models with the mini (now exinct), nano and shuffle.

The same will happen with the iPhone in due time. Expect a non-touch screen simple candy bar phone with built in iPod. Simple, no frills device. Looks fantastic, syncs with iTunes, $50 or less with contract.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

12. whlphil macrumors member

Why an iPhone Nano

It's rather obvious really people would like a smaller phone!

Of all the people i know that dont have an iPhone already the standard response once ive showed them what it can do and then ask them dont you want one ?

Is ' It's too big ' ergo people want a smaller one from experience it will do particularly good business with the Ladeez..

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't think you understand what an iPhone is. Please read up on what the iPhone is and then come back.

14. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I do know what an iPhone is. I stood inline day 1 for the first gen and stood inline again for the 3G.

It's a fantastic phone, doesn't mean Apple won't one day simplify it. No reason to go flaunting only 1 phone in your portfolio. They can build another for a different market. Makes a lot of sense if you ask me.

Would make a perfect backup phone for someone like myself. Or a primary phone for someone else who may not need internet/email or the $30 monthly fee associated with it.

15. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Yes....GET RID OF THE SPECIAL EXPENSIVE PLANS DESIGNED JUST FOR THE IPHONE!!! I wish they can treat it like a normal smartphone.

Btw, I'm not just talking about ATT and Rogers, I'm talking about "every" carrier that sell the iPhone. I think that the North American cell phone market model should adopt the Asian model where people can choose to go for plans and phone together or just choose their phone and carrier separately.

16. Cakester macrumors regular

No, I don't think it will be a waste of product for attracting more people to the platform....as long as it's cheaper. But I would venture to say that it is not typically going to attract more people....like us. People that are early adopters, aren't going to appriciate it, but as a business Apple must continue to get people to think, iPod=portable music=iTunes. It's all about getting people to sign up on iTunes and when they think media/apps....they think iTunes. A smaller, more compact version fits the bill. Make it cheaper with colors and chicks will dig it.

It's not necessary to produce a better product, but it may be necessary to attract more customers to iTunes. And my friends........iTunes is what it is ALL about.

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Not in a million years, sorry. That's just not where they're going. In fact, the product you describe already exists (several thousand of them, actually on the market right now!) - and it's the complete opposite of what apple wants to do.

18. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You mean in like 12 months, when the current iPhone is $99?

19. koko256 macrumors newbie

This is the iPhone I'm waiting for - can't bear touch screen, just ok for touchpad and click wheel.

Considering apple's patent which started the rumor in 2007, it could be though everybody (including XSKN) seems to think that it will be a touch screen phone (maybe I should start a poll). However, if apple wants to produce a really new product, they should avoid this since many well-built cheap touch screen phones exist.

The only thing I can do is produce an app for iPhone which emulates a click wheel :) (don't know if this would break any patent).

20. koko256 macrumors newbie

It does: sonic the hedgehog, a final fantasy like game (same authors), a pinball :)

21. koko256 macrumors newbie

No phone with a click wheel exists! No laptop either until the macwhell :)

22. elistan macrumors 6502a

Agreed, Apple said as much in their quarterly results conference call this monring. Stand-in CEO Tim Cook said "You know us, we're not going to play in the low-end voicephone business; that's not who we are." Fair enough. An Apple candy-bar voicephone is just what *I* would like to see. :)

For what its worth - there were already digital music players on the market when the iPod was released, there were already smartphones on the market when the iPhone was released. The fact that there are already voicephones on the market right now shouldn't have any relevance regarding whether Apple will produce their own, otherwise we never would have gotten the iPod or the iPhone. (Remember this? "No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.")

Having recently spent some time in an AT&T store with my girlfriend when she was replacing her aging Nokia with a new simple phone - in my opinion most of the voicephones out there simply suck. The Samsung she got is decent, and works well enough, but is completely lacking in that gestalt of qualities that make Apple products what they are.

I think if Apple introduced a voicephone that was free with a two-year contract, they'd sell as many as they could produce. The question is - would they be able to produce them cheaply enough while still maintaining their quality standards (or get enough money out of the service providers) to make it worth their while? I don't think having an inexpensive voicephone would hurt their image in any way - heck, the offer a $49 iPod shuffle, after all. In fact, with so many more people being exposed to Apple's product quality, they'd probably win over a number of iMac converts.

23. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

There was nothing like the iPod when it was released. The closest would have been a Creative Nomad, which barely existed in the same world as the iPod.

That lame quote came from the dorky taco lovin' dude who started Slashdot - doesn't (and never did) hold much water with the world at large.

24. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

there are tons of apple products we'd all like to see but as was recently said, there are tons of projects they just don't do because that's just not where they're going.

25. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Leave the logic of creating iPhone Nanos up to the board members of Apple and let's just shut up about the Nanos.