iPhone-next; a big update or minor ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Darthdingo, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I know this topic is discussed a million times, but since we are getting closer to an official announcement in the next couple months or so, what is the most recent buzz about the iPhone-next ? At this stage the phone should be pretty close to final design and features ?

- Will it be named the iPhone5 or iPhone4S ?

- Larger screen or not until iPhone6 ?

- Radical redesign of the body, like that tear dropped shaped picture going around, that looks awesome, or just the same form factor as current iPhone4 ?

- iOS5 to have a lot more to offer than was just first previewed ? Maybe Widgets will be revealed ?

- I heard rumors of super crazy battery, best in class for any smartphone ?

- White version at release, or 10 months later ?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

3. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

there haven't been too many new rumors recently.
    rumored to have a slightly larger screen, roughly the same current design, slightly better camera, A5 processor

Will definitely be called the iPhone 5

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand, just curious to read the best guess to my questions. What are people predicting ?

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

There's a search function function for this on MacRumors.

6. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the Japan disaster is a major part of the delays, will need to put a Geiger counter next to the new iPhone, make sure it's safe to have around me.

Fukushima: It’s much worse than you think
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/fukushima-its-much-worse-than-you-think.html

“Fukushima is the biggest industrial catastrophe in the history of mankind,” Arnold Gundersen, a former nuclear industry senior vice president, told Al Jazeera. Scientific experts believe Japan’s nuclear disaster to be far worse than governments are revealing to the public.

7. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Just search the threads and you will find all the answers to your questions. No need to start a thread on it again when all your questions have been discussed.

If I was at home, I would post some links to help guide you in the right direction, but I am currently using my phone.

8. rovex macrumors 65816

Minor, speed bump with facetime HD, 8MP camera and 1080p Video and hopefully improved battery.

Maybe a redesign but that's highly questionable, they could make the current one thinner though.

9. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I've already stopped caring what the iPhone 5 will be like. Absence does not make the heart grow fonder.

How Apple can just ignore the iPhone this year is beyond me. Their only salvation (in my eyes) will be if they introduce a spectacular new phone towards the end of the year. All this wait for a warmed over iPhone 4 won't do it.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No one knows anything beside a few people at Apple. Everything you heard hasn't been confirmed or is simply a lie.

11. ESPN macrumors regular

Stop trolling.

On topic- I expect the update to be minor , better camera, more RAM, dual core and better battery life. 3.8 inch screen has a slight chance not much,

12. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I'll give you my two-cents:

1) Don't know what it will be named, but it surely won't be iPhone 4S. The 'iPhone 4S' was named by some random developer who was testing an iPhone 4 with a Dual Core processor, so that they could come up on stage when the iPhone 5 is announced and say "look what we can do thanks to the dual core". The next iPhone will be the 5th generation iPhone, so until an official name, the iPhone 5 suffices.

2) Good question, nobody knows, but i'm really hoping for a larger screen. Anywhere between 3.7" to 4" will do it for me.

3) That one is just a mockup, and a bad one at that. I don't think it will be "radically" different, but the antenna will definitely be fixed. There's also rumor about a rounded back like the 3G/S model. I'd prefer that.

4) iOS 5 probably won't have a lot of new features when released, expect bigger features in the 5.x updates. But it looks like widgets will be a possibility with the weather and stocks widgets on the notification center.

5) Quite possible, Apple is known for it's battery and the Dual Core will actually make battery life more efficient so we can expect an increase in battery for sure.

6) Definitely at release, just like the iPad 2. lol

How is that a minor upgrade?

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I think you're right on point

14. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

No, you didn't.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That’s not trolling.

This says it all. However, I’d love to see a dual core with a better battery. Whether that will be what Apple does, who knows?

16. genexrocket macrumors regular

It's gonna be a minor update. The iPhone 4 is all new, and they haven't done a minor update to it yet. Look at how many times the iPhone 3G was updated before iPhone 4.

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Once?

18. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

I expect a major upgrade to compete with the SGS2. So I expect a faster duel core processer more ram more flash storage a better camara, nfc chip, and possibly a large screen model.

19. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

you're forgetting that apple just released the CDMA version of the iPhone a few months ago, and very recently, also released the white iPhone. while not an iPhone 5, you can't say they've ignored the iPhone altogether this year.

my guess is that the iPhone 5 will come out no sooner than early next year. they wouldn't want to piss off all the people who just bought the white iPhone..

20. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I'am happy with my 2 year contract cycle as it falls on the major hardware update. i started with the iphone 3G and than the Iphone 4 next Iphone 6 which will more likely be a major bump new design, maybe steve jobs introduces 4g connection, improved display.

This year was a major software update like the 3Gs, I believe that the rumors will hold and will see a minor hardware update like the 3GS in september my guess better graphics, 64GB of ram like the ipod touch, improved camera, possible antenna redesign, no change to design. I only hope they continue this trend as it works for me.

21. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I don't get why people come to this forum and ask questions like this. Does anyone think that MacRumors users can predict the future? Or do you guys think that Steve Jobs comes on this site often and drops off info about the next gen iDevice?

If anyone FOR SURE knew what was going to be in the next iPhone, you would hear about it by now.

22. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Meh, he asked what the latest buzz was. It's fun to speculate. Obviously no one here knows but rumors happen often and when we see enough of one, they usually have a good chance of being true (with trused sources of course).

I think the next iPhone will be a minor update, iPhone 4S. I don't think we will see much of a design change. Prolly faster parts and better battery life.

23. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

I don't get why people come to this forum only to rip a guy for asking a question. Just think of it as chatting in a bar. He'd like to chat. Either join the conversation or move to another table.

24. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Warning: this post assumes the most known rumors to be true. The poster's opinion can change drastically according to what rumors end up being true or not.

I agree with everything on your post, except this line. For me, upgrading the CPU to 1.2 Dual Core and RAM to 1GB is the simply keeping up with the current high-end standards. The SGS II has it, the HTC Sensation has it, and every high-end phone coming out now will have it. Battery life will be extended simply because of a dual-core CPU, and a better camera won't revolutionize anything.

I get that it is a good upgrade in comparison to the iPhone 4, but it's just slightly improving what existed already (if that was not to happen, then the iPhone 5 would be = iPhone 4). It also won't be a major upgrade when you take into account its main competitors.

All-in-all, it is a minor update because all it does is keep up with what is already being done first by others. The Nexus 4G, rumored to be released on Thanksgiving, is a great example of an upgrade I find truly impressive. Not only it might feature up to 1.5 GHz of dual core, but it is also rumored to have a 1280*720 resolution display (inches unknown yet). That is an upgrade. That is setting up new standards for the industry, and distinguishing itself from other products. That is what Apple did with the iPhone 4 in 2010, and is unlikely to do again in 2011.

I wasn't expecting a major bump this year: I was expecting a software major upgrade instead. Needless to say, I got disappointed. IMO, 2012 will be the year where iOS users will have the most trouble justifying their purchase. Specially once you factor in quad-core CPUs coming out in early 2012. Android phones won't be just slightly better than the iPhone hardware-wise. They'll banquet on its flesh.

25. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree the next Nexus due out this holiday season is supposed to be a game changer. Not just the beastly specs, bit the new Android 4.0 OS "ice cream" is supposed to be the biggest update ever for Android, they hired the gut who developed the Palm OS, and this will be the first update to finally do GPU acceleration like the iPhone, which = butter smooth phone, no hiccups at all. And then throw on an a Super Retina display like its supposed to have, it will be amazing.