Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I played with a Nexus One for the first time yesterday and I was absolutely blown away by the screen. It makes the iPhone screen look incredibly washed out. Anyone else who has seen one in person, what did you think of the screen? Were you as amazed as I was?

The functionality of Nexus One was a little awkward but it was probably because I'm used to my iPhone.

So what's the latest rumor on if the next generation iPhone will have an OLED screen? If it doesn't I may have to make the switch.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I played with a Nexus One for the first time yesterday and I was absolutely blown away by the screen. It makes the iPhone screen look incredibly washed out. Anyone else who has seen one in person, what did you think of the screen? Were you as amazed as I was?

The functionality of Nexus One was a little awkward but it was probably because I'm used to my iPhone.

So what's the latest rumor on if the next generation iPhone will have an OLED screen? If it doesn't I may have to make the switch.

I have the Nexus One and the iPhone 3GS. Waiting to decide which one I want to keep and which one to sell. The Nexus One screen is outstanding. You are right the iPhone's screen is cheap looking compared to the Nexus One.

The Android OS is different than the iPhone OS. There are more menus. But you get more screen real estate because the pixels count is higher and because you have the touch sensitive buttons that don't take up the screen since they are below. I love the notification system on Android. In fact, I really LOVE the phone. I just don't know if it's worth paying my $80 ETF to AT&T and switching to Tmobile, when there is going to be a new iPhone right around the corner that might be better than the Nexus One.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
this.

the iphone is bad enough i dont want any poorer....

lcd's are quite good under direct sunlight actually, you just need the right angle to fight reflections, and you don't need the backlight, kind of like having e-ink:)
If the next iPhone has AM OLED and is less visible outside, it's probably the only reason why I could not upgrade from my current 3gs

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
how's the nexus 1 under direct sunlight?

it's about as good as the iphone is. If you have the screen brightness all the way down they both are bad. If they are all the way up, I'd say the iPhone might be slightly better.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
well that is not surprising at all. The iPhone screen is pretty much crap compared to other phones in its compatible and even blow its range.

The iPhone screen is now a low resolution screen. It has a low DPI. Take for example the BB 8900, 9700 and tour. All of those phones screens are the exact same resolution as the iPhone but the screen size is smaller so it has a higher DPI.

iPhone screen really lags compared to everyone else.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
I've sold my 3GS in place of my Nexus and do not regret it one bit. If you have the chance to get a Nexus, don't hesitate, do it!

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
I'm a Nexus one owner and I have to agree the iPhones screen plales in comparison to the N1. The multitasking capinility is also a winning factor.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
And surprisingly I'm running on AT&T Edge and service is very good. I believe the Nexus One is better than the current iPhone. If your ETF is under $100, I'd say go for it and switch to T-Mobile if their coverage is good in your area.

1. You will capitalize on the iPhone you sell on eBay and get much more money for it than you would get if you were to upgrade to the next iPhone in the summer.

2. If you switch to Tmobile month-by-month plan, you have nothing to lose because you can leave WHENEVER you want. If the next iPhone is better for you than the current Nexus One, then you can get it and sell the Nexus One for a wash.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The one thing I didn't get a chance to mess with was the actual music player. I guess I could just use my iPod for this but can anyone comment on it and it's compatability with or incompatability with Podcasts? I'm addicted to my Podcasts and I'm assuming I won't be able to play them on the Nexus One.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
The one thing I didn't get a chance to mess with was the actual music player. I guess I could just use my iPod for this but can anyone comment on it and it's compatability with or incompatability with Podcasts? I'm addicted to my Podcasts and I'm assuming I won't be able to play them on the Nexus One.

Ok. About the music player. It's no iPod. It's just ok. It won't knock your socks off or anything, but it will play music. There isn't any integration with iTunes, so that hurts if you want that. You can use Google Listen to subscribe to podcasts (it's not great) or either DoggCatcher ($6.99 market) or BeyondPod ($6.99) I use Beyondpod and it will automatically update your podcasts (wifi, 3g, or edge) and you can also add their widget to your homepage for easy play access.

As far as getting media on there, you can sync with DoubleTwist (mac or pc) or just drag and drop media on the phone. Now keep in mind the Nexus One comes with just a 4GB mini-sd card. But you can get a 16gb mini sdhc card for around $40.

The Amazon MP3 store is built-in to the phone, so that is where you can download music from the phone, or you can still purchase music from iTunes as long as it's now DRM (I don't think there are any DRM left for music though anyway). Videos you buy from iTunes won't play because they are DRMed. I'll shoot some video and upload it to YouTube from the Music player and BeyondPod to give you a better idea if you want. Here's some video I took yesterday though of general features. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMM203hy-Gs&feature=youtube_gdata)

To be honest, I'm still contemplating whether or not to keep the Nexus One or iPhone, so I have no set answer as to if you should absolutely get it.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Nexus One phone is pure rubbish, plain and simple. iPhone may have a lower resolution screen, but so what - noone complained until the higher res (Droid etc) phones came out, and suddenly people turn their noses up at it. :rolleyes:

DVD was stunning until Blu-ray came along... seriously guys, stop complaining about how things don't meet the specs of the next generation, iPhone may have a lower res screen, but the user experience & customer support is yet to be beaten by any other device, seriously!. I'd rather have iPhone that does what it is supposed to do, than a Nexus One or Milestone that has amazing screen res, but a rubbish user experience, thanks. Oh and for what it's worth, the reason Apple have yet to adopt AMOLED screens, is that they are still at a very early stage of the technology, and rather awful; pixels die off, the screens sometimes have burn-in problems (I have a games console that has terrible AMOLED screen burn, after it having been left on for FIVE HOURS!) and colours often look overly saturated and reddish (not to mention the viewing problems in daylight).

My friend got sucked into the whole Nexus One hype - he recently bought one, consulting me for advice, and even though I think it is a nice enough looking product, I warned him against the perils of becoming an early adopter, but this advice fell upon deaf ears, and he went ahead and made the buy. Suffice it to say, said Nexus One has now been sold on eBay, and he has purchased iPhone from Vodafone UK. It annoys me how all these tech companies try to better/equal/rival Apple products; why can they not just go off on their own tangents, and innovate without copying everything to come out of Cupertino?. People compare every mobile handset to iPhone for a very good reason indeed - they have it nailed, guys!.

Apple are not stupid, they wait and see how the bleeding edge technologies pan out, before taking the risk of adopting them for their products. LCD works perfectly, and I don't understand this obsession with AMOLED; they're not all that good, seriously. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Nexus One phone is pure rubbish, plain and simple. iPhone may have a lower resolution screen, but so what - noone complained until the higher res (Droid etc) phones came out, and suddenly people turn their noses up at it. :rolleyes:

DVD was stunning until Blu-ray came along... seriously guys, stop complaining about how things don't meet the specs of the next generation, iPhone may have a lower res screen, but the user experience & customer support is yet to be beaten by any other device, seriously!. I'd rather have iPhone that does what it is supposed to do, than a Nexus One or Milestone that has amazing screen res, but a rubbish user experience, thanks. Oh and for what it's worth, the reason Apple have yet to adopt AMOLED screens, is that they are still at a very early stage of the technology, and rather awful; pixels die off, the screens sometimes have burn-in problems (I have a games console that has terrible AMOLED screen burn, after it having been left on for FIVE HOURS!).

Apple are not stupid, they wait and see how the bleeding edge technologies pan out, before taking the risk of adopting them for their products. LCD works perfectly, and I don't understand this obsession with AMOLED; they're not all that good, seriously. if it ain't broke, don't fix it!.

Have you even used a Nexus One? Regardless, the OP was commenting on how the screen looks compared to the iPhone, not ease of use or customer support.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Hows the battery life on the Nexus compared to the 3GS?

I'd say battery life is the same. I've been on the Nexus One constantly though for the past four days, so I don't know what it would be like under 'normal' use.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Have you even used a Nexus One? Regardless, the OP was commenting on how the screen looks compared to the iPhone, not ease of use or customer support.

Yep, I've even used one - as I said, my friend bought one and was terribly let down, because the hype far outweighs the functionality. The ringtones are so quiet that they serve no purpose, the flash is SO bright that it blows out any reflective or light areas, and the photos all seemed to have a strange greeny tint. Also, what exactly is the point of having XGb of storage, when you are limited to the capacity of the handset's onboard flash (256-512Mb) for storing apps?.

So all in all, a much hyped but disappointing device. Also, what is the real purpose of the motion wallpapers, except to show off the 1Ghz cpu; who sits staring at their wallpaper, at the expense of CPU & battery life?!.

I feel Google hope this will rival iPhone, but they have much to learn.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Yep, I've even used one - as I said, my friend bought one and was terribly let down, because the hype far outweighs the functionality. The ringtones are so quiet that they serve no purpose, the flash is SO bright that it blows out any reflective or light areas, and the photos all seemed to have a strange greeny tint. Also, what exactly is the point of having XGb of storage, when you are limited to the capacity of the handset's onboard flash (256-512Mb) for storing apps?.

So all in all, a much hyped but disappointing device. Also, what is the real purpose of the motion wallpapers, except to show off the 1Ghz cpu; who sits staring at their wallpaper, at the expense of CPU & battery life?!.

I feel Google hope this will rival iPhone, but they have much to learn.

I don't really agree. The screen is better and that's a fact. I Haber probably 50 apparently and they have just taken up around 1-3 MB each. Not as storage heavy as the iPhone. You don't need motion wallpaper on, you have a choice. That's the point. YOU can do whatever you want, not just what apple wants. I like the nexus one

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
I don't really agree. The screen is better and that's a fact. I Haber probably 50 apparently and they have just taken up around 1-3 MB each. Not as storage heavy as the iPhone. You don't need motion wallpaper on, you have a choice. That's the point. YOU can do whatever you want, not just what apple wants. I like the nexus one

Good point. This is the main reason ( apart from the ridiculous $600+ price ) that I didn't buy the iPhone. Multitasking is very important for some people. I like android and looking forward to buying one this year...most probably nexus one or the droid.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
To each, his own. I prefer my phone to do what it is supposed to, minimum fuss and fiddle. iPhone wins on this front every time, I don't care what anyone says.

Take it from me, Nexus is a massively hyped flop, but that is just IMHO okay!.

Why would the average user need/want access to the whole *nix filesystem?. I think Apple are very wise to sandbox the user data... it is very easy for the less knowledgeable user to get entirely lost within a folder hierarchy, unless they are tech savvy, in which case they would failbreak it to do so.

People always seem to forget that the ethos of Apple, is that of simplicity and efficiency. They watch and wait while the rest of the computer/mobile industry makes their mistakes and learns hard lessons by incorporating bleeding-edge tech (AMOLED etc) in their products, and only when they are completely sure (over years, sometimes), will you see Apple adopt such technologies in their products.

Take it or leave it, I don't really mind either way, and I am sure Apple don't either.

If you want to fiddle and learn *nix, use Android & GNU/Linux.

PS: The whole multitasking point is completely moot; this isn't a Desktop OS, and you can only ever do one thing at a time anyhow. If you want to switch between apps, iPhone OS saves the state of the current app in focus, and then launches the new app. Then when you go back to the other app, it is "defrosted" from it's frozen "freeze-dried" state (all this is well documented in ADC documents btw!) and resumed, as if you had never closed it. This is why Android OS & other have so many problems with lagging and freezing, memory leaks etc - they want to keep as much running as possible, even when the user has no possible way of using that background task that is sucking up cpu cycles and hogging valuable ram.

Apple have nailed it guys, to be honest, and it speaks for itself with the sheer fluidity & stability of iPhone OS.

awakeFronNib:
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/UIKit/Reference/NSObject_UIKitAdditions/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/occ/instm/NSObject/awakeFromNib

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
PS: The whole multitasking point is completely moot; this isn't a Desktop OS, and you can only ever do one thing at a time anyhow. If you want to switch between apps, iPhone OS saves the state of the current app in focus, and then launches the new app. Then when you go back to the other app, it is "defrosted" from it's frozen "freeze-dried" state (all this is well documented in ADC documents btw!) and resumed, as if you had never closed it. This is why Android OS & other have so many problems with lagging and freezing, memory leaks etc - they want to keep as much running as possible, even when the user has no possible way of using that background task that is sucking up cpu cycles and hogging valuable ram.

And you just proved you are completely clueless about multitasting and running apps in the back ground.

The big running example is pandora. You can not check your email on the iPhone with out shutting down Pandora.
Some other examples of back ground task that can be done that are great. I will pull example from Blackberry and Android.
1. Internet radio

2. Other weather Apps. Popular one for Blackberry is BBweather. Runs in the back ground updating itself and the icons provide useful information (more than I can say for apple weather app)

3. Security program. A new one just came out for BB and Android phones that provides location of your phone, remote wipe, alerts you if a foreign sim is put in the phone, ect. All for free. OTA back up cost money but you do get the ablity to track your phone remotely, lock it down remotely, wipe it clean, and nice feature if you can not find it you can have an alert sent out and the phone starts making noise regardless if it is on ringer is on or off.
Key part this is free. No paying money for Mobile me.

Those are just 3 off the top of my head. I can think of others. All background apps really do is suck up a little ram which is well cheap and not a big deal. Very few CPU cycles to burn the battery and childs play compare to what is burned power the antenna for a call or data transfers

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
And you just proved you are completely clueless about multitasting and running apps in the back ground.

The big running example is pandora. You can not check your email on the iPhone with out shutting down Pandora.
Some other examples of back ground task that can be done that are great. I will pull example from Blackberry and Android.
1. Internet radio

2. Other weather Apps. Popular one for Blackberry is BBweather. Runs in the back ground updating itself and the icons provide useful information (more than I can say for apple weather app)

3. Security program. A new one just came out for BB and Android phones that provides location of your phone, remote wipe, alerts you if a foreign sim is put in the phone, ect. All for free. OTA back up cost money but you do get the ablity to track your phone remotely, lock it down remotely, wipe it clean, and nice feature if you can not find it you can have an alert sent out and the phone starts making noise regardless if it is on ringer is on or off.
Key part this is free. No paying money for Mobile me.

Those are just 3 off the top of my head. I can think of others. All background apps really do is suck up a little ram which is well cheap and not a big deal. Very few CPU cycles to burn the battery and childs play compare to what is burned power the antenna for a call or data transfers

That's right, I'm clueless... I actually forgot what an idiot I was, until you enlightened me. Each to his own, anyhow - if you prefer Android, good for you - I haven't the time to sit here and watch this escalate into a pointless and futile battle of opinions. I will say, however, that I feel you are wrong, no offence. iPhone is the most successful & profitable mobile platform to date; hardly the result of a badly designed platform.

:) Have a nice day.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
That's right, I'm clueless... I actually forgot what an idiot I was, until you enlightened me. Each to his own, anyhow - if you prefer Android, good for you - I haven't the time to sit here and watch this escalate into a pointless and futile battle of opinions. I will say, however, that I feel you are wrong, no offence. iPhone is the most successful & profitable mobile platform to date; hardly the result of a badly designed platform.

Ha. That was a funny exchange. But android does a fantastic job of memory management. And its nice to be able to listen to Pandora and check my email. Or have Skype run in the background. Also love the Google Navigator apparently. Used it today and it rocked. Its built-in.

Hey I'm not saying the iPhone stinks. I just think a lot of iPhone users are dismissing the android platform and they really shouldn't.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Be successful and profitable does not mean it is the best platform around.
Keep drinking your apple koolaid in the defense of lack of multitasking.

I pointed out things about background apps that people would like that could be used on the iphone. Example are easiest to pull from known apps in the background from Android and BB because those are the ones that I know have some. I do not know about palms OS or Nokia's. They are examples that do not require being active to work.

Yes the iPhone is a good phone but its biggest advantage is apple marketing and convening people it is a must have. Apple is the IBM of today. Back in the of the first computers (punch card days) IBM one out not because they made the best computer. Hell IBM's computers were slower than the competitors but what IBM did have was a sales force that put everyone else to shame. They convene companies that the computer was the thing to have and IBM computers were the ones to have. IBM computers were slower and less efficient than the competors yet it one out due to IBM reputation in other markets and sales force (aka marketing)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.