iPhone (no 3G) vs. Storm (3G)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xcruser88x, Dec 7, 2008.

1. xcruser88x macrumors newbie

I'm not looking for a comparison between the two phones on a 3g network - I would definitely pick the iPhone. My dilemma is choosing between an iPhone and a Storm living in an area where AT&T has no 3G network but Verizon does. So - my choice is a subpar phone on a superior network or a superior phone on a subpar network. One of the major reasons I'm getting a smart phone is for browsing, and while I think the iPhone browser is much better, I'm wondering if it being significantly slower than the verizon 3g network will outweigh the advantages. Thoughts?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well this is tricky......the iPhone does have Wi-Fi, so you have that going for you(if you have Wi-Fi in the areas you spend most of you time)

Its also possible AT&T will add 3G in your area some time

Personally I'd go for the iPhone, the speed would hurt me, but the other things I use my iPhone wouldn't be replaced by the Storm

Of course if your not gonna be syncing you iTunes music, syncing with mobile me, etc, then the storm might be for you!

I don't think people will be able to give you a firm answer, its more of a personal call(of course we can give input)

3. xcruser88x thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. AT&T has said they have no current plans to add 3G to my area (Roanoke, VA).

http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/170754

I'm not going to use mobileme, but I have a MacBook and would like replace my iPod Touch with an iPhone (save some pocket space.) I just wish there was AT&T 3G in my area. I've played with an iPhone a bit in the area, and EDGE seems so slow. Possibly slow enough that it would make browsing unpleasant, even though I like the browser.

I'm really torn about this, any input, particularly from anyone who lives in an area with no AT&T 3G, would be helpful. Thanks.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I am getting along fine with my 2G iPhone, and it is plenty fast for what I use it for. Turn off Javascript and its even faster. I see no difference between 2G and 3G here in Phoenix.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Just curious as to why you are deciding between an iPhone and Storm, and leaving out the Omnia, Touch Pro, etc... with 3G and Opera browsers.

6. xcruser88x thread starter macrumors newbie

@dontwalkhand - thanks for your input, I might be overthinking here.

@Kdarling - I have not ruled those out as much as I have just not considered them yet - thanks, I'm glad to have a few more options. Do you think any of your suggestions would serve my purposes? The major reasons I currently think the iPhone is my best option, except for the lack of 3G coverage where I live are:

1) I use a MacBook as a primary computer, and organize all my music with iTunes. I'd like to use a smartphone as a music player as well, and think syncing will be much easier. Is that true?
    2) I have used the browser on an iPod touch quite a bit (wifi,) and really like it. I've only used the BB browser on the Storm at a Verizon store for a few minutes. It seemed pretty good, but I don't like it as much as Apple's.
    3) I like a number of the apps offered in Apple's app store

Please let me know if you think I'm being too reductive by not considering anything but Storm and iPhone.

Thanks for all the input, y'all are much more helpful than some of the people I've encountered on the crackberry forums!

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

edge is actually not bad at all for browsing unless you're going to pretty complicated sites.

Also, definitely try out the storm before you even consider buying it. I used on the other day and the screen is hard as hell to get used to. Maybe it's good eventually, didn't try it long enough to find out, but it's not fun at all at to start.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

In all honestly, this should end the debate. If you want your phone to double as a music player AND you use iTunes and a Mac, the iPhone is for you. EDGE is slow but it's not painful, and I actually find that call quality is generally better when I'm using EDGE, anyway, so that's an added bonus.

9. Almy macrumors 6502

Sounds to me like the iPhone is what you need. I wouldn't worry about edge. I live in an area that may not get 3g for years. I only have access to wifi when I'm willing to drive to it for larger downloads, and my iPhone is my main source of net traffic.

With all that said I use edge always, I rarely use anything else. And I have no problem browsing around.

10. curmudgen macrumors member

I live in an area where I expect to get 3G at about the same time I start collecting social security in 30 years!

I think the potentials of improvement with iPhone coupled with the use you describe make it a clear winner as without 3G its not bad browsing.

1. There is always the chance of being on wifi with super fast speeds. Either home network or a new place/buisness gets it, etc.

2. Never say never there is at least a better than zero percent chance that you could get 3G in your area.

3. Going on extended vacation somewhere with 3G or even move in the future unforseen or not to a new area that has 3G. You never know.

4. Best reason is your allready hooked into itunes/mac thing, the iphone is seamless and easy intro to that. You dont have to change anything.

11. The General macrumors 601

12. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

I had a Storm for 1 whole day. It's great EXCEPT its a total pain in the backside to type on.

13. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

imo depends on your music library. if all your songs are from the itunes store and have drm then you are pretty much stuck. if you dont have drm protected files you can use blackberry media sync to sync with itunes.

as far as 3G vs edge, i used to have an edge only phone and i used to think it was fine for browsing. as soon as i got a phone with 3G though i realized how much more enjoyable mobile browsing could be. i would never buy a phone now without 3G.

14. archipellago macrumors 65816

well the Storm is a better phone and has better build quality so thats where I'd go...no brainer.

However given your propensity for other Mac hardware and your use of iTunes I think you should stick to the iPhone, just wait until after MW2009 in case there are any upgrades or price reductions.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sounds like the iPhone is your best bet.

You've got 14 days to try out an iPhone, and pay a 10% restocking fee. Worth it to see if the browser outweighs the slow speed. Lots of people lived with it for a year, after all.

Good luck!

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you have 30 days if i remember right. thats att's policy at least

17. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I switched from the iPhone 3G to the storm. The internet on the phone is far faster. Only thing I miss is the typing on the iPhone simply because im not used to the storm yet.

I made my iPhone, an iPodTouch. They are both solid phones (storm is better since release - new firmware). How much do you use the internet? If its a lot, get the storm.

18. haddman macrumors regular

Hate to say it, but if you have no 3G coverage from AT&T, you might want to go with the Storm. Shame on At&t for taking so damn long to get their 3G network up. Truly a shame. It will take a bit more work, and Music and Video will never be as good. But with a little work you can remove all your DRM protection from your itunes library and synch it with the Storm.

Another option would be to get both phones and use them at the same time. This is what I did last christmas, I bought both the LG Voyager from VZW and the original iPhone, after a few days the choice was easy. Sure it will cost you a little extra $$ upfront, but at least you won't be kicking yourself for making the wrong choice and being stuck with it.

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The iPhone on EDGE is way better than the storm.

My cousin upgraded from a first gen iPhone to the BB Storm the other day. He owned the Storm for 2 days and said it was the worst decision he ever made. Then, last night, he returned it and got the iPhone 3G. He LOVES it! True story.

Moral of the story. Don't get the Storm.

20. oxdtown macrumors member

Storm=bad

take it from an actual storm owner (for 4hrs 25mins) i thought damn its a way to trim the phone bill a few bucks click would be cool and it has 3g im not in a att 3g area. well i was horrible wrong the storm was soooo buggy and the 3g was slower than my edge on my iphone 3g i was shocked. so needles to say i brought it back to my local verizon and flaunted my iphone 3g in a nananana kinda way. i also have tried the htc touch pro nicer than the storm but still not on the level of the iphone. we all have complained about the firmware of the iphone at some point but it was nowhere near how bad the crackberry storms is.

21. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I love stories with morals. CNET likes the Storm but pretty much hates the touch screen. From everything I've read, that seems to be the most common complaint.

22. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I have the storm, I like it. I went from the iPhone 3G to it and havent looked back. Its a different phone really... if you are looking for a communication device with fast internet anywhere, its the phone to get. iPhone cant touch it as a communication device. If you want a media center and games, go with the iPhone.

23. archipellago macrumors 65816

so if you want it to be phone like buy the storm but if you want it to be ipod like..erm....buy the ipod!! lol :D

24. x986 macrumors regular

Do you have T Mobile 3G avail? That would make the G Phone an option. I tried one for about two weeks before I bought the iPhone.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

A lot of articles didn't like the iPhone keyboard at first, either. Sometimes it took a long time to get used to it.

The moral (since you like them :) ) is: each person should of course decide for themselves.