iPhone "no-commitment" price: Experiences?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abijnk, Sep 15, 2009.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I am wanting to get a 3GS for my fiance, but we aren't upgrade eligible. Whatever, I just figure I'll suck it up and buy it full-price. I go to the AT&T store and ask the obvious question: If I buy the iPhone at the no-commitment price will it renew my contract and change my upgrade date? I expected the answer to be "no," but it wasn't. He told me I would still have to renew my contract, even at full price. WTF? Has anyone with AT&T bought at the no-commitment price (from either Apple or AT&T) and what can you tell me about contract renewal?

Why can't anything with the iPhone be straight forward... :rolleyes:

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I believe the "no-commitment" price means that, "no-commitment". I say you visit another AT&T store. Paying $699 means you get the iPhone agreement free.

That's what a friend did to take his back to Honduras.

3. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, I'm hoping it was just a guy who didn't know what the heck he was talking about. Unfortunately I don't have a way of finding out tonight, so I thought I would ask here.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd assume it would be that you can just walk it, buy and walked out.

If not, thats a freaking joke! Admittedly, we got a decent deal if you went from EDGE Phone->3G iPhone, but this fun business with the 3GS is a bit weird

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

AT&T is requiring a one-year committment if you buy an iPhone from them. It's all pretty ridiculous, how about the people that got handmedown iPhones? AT&T makes them also sign a contract just to get iPhone service.

Hello, FCC, we could use you here.

6. lpnjake macrumors member

wrong.. hand me down = pop ur sim, add a data and ur good to go.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I was under the impression that buying the no commitment iPhone couldn't leave the store unless it was going to replace a phone already under an AT&T phone plan (doesn't have to have a contract). They want to make money on the phone still.

8. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Yep, just did this with my 2G. Gave it to my sister, used the SIM from her BlackJack, added the data plan via iTunes along with SMS plan, all is well.

9. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, this is what I was trying to do. I wanted to use it on an existing line, I just didn't want to extend my contract.

I know what is supposed to happen. I was hoping there was someone on here who has actually done this...

10. Jimmie22 macrumors newbie

I bought my first "no commitment" 2G iphone straight out. But I had to add the iphone data plan. then my contract was set for renewal 6 months after. Then, I bought a 3G and sold the "old" jb and ul iPhone on ebay for a profit. SO to answer you question no it should not reset your contract.

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Understood. Someone that isn't with AT&T must commit to use a 3G hand me down.

12. ChaSSe macrumors member

AT&T confirms contract-free $599 / $699 iPhone 3Gs for next week

by Chris Ziegler posted Mar 19th 2009 at 6:58PM
    Just in time to nab your soon-to-be-jailbroken copy of iPhone OS 3.0, AT&T has now confirmed that commitment-free iPhones are going to happen -- soon, in fact. As of next Thursday, you'll be able to waltz into the AT&T store of your choice and pick up an 8GB or 16GB unit for $599 and $699, respectively; that's a little harder to swallow than the normal $199 / $299, granted, but in exchange, you're free and clear without two years of your precious life sold off to a wireless carrier like it's a cheap piece of meat. You're worth more than that, you know?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/19/atandt-confirms-contract-free-599-699-iphone-3gs-for-next-week/

Fail..

13. SWISSHAT macrumors member

SWISSHAT

www.digitec.ch

1099chf for 16Gb
    1199chf for 32Gb.
    Unlocked and simfree.