iPhone no data plan?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cubsfan334, Jun 17, 2009.

1. cubsfan334 macrumors newbie

If I want to use my iphone without a data plan -- ie use my current AT&T sim with a WIX block, does the iphone need to be unlocked?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Assuming U.S.A.,

The iPhone 2G can be had on AT&T without data.

The iPhone 3G and 3GS cannot have an AT&T plan without data.

3. yode macrumors 6502

Even if you unlock the 3g/3gs and/or clone the imei?

4. cubsfan334 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh of course it can be done with unlocking, I'm planning to buy a 3G and do just that. But I'd prefer the 3GS so that's why I'm wondering if an unlock is necessary.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. If AT&T sees either model on their network as part of a non-iPhone plan, the data plan will be added and you will be charged.

You can do it without data on T-Mobile, Centennial (until they're fully assimilated), or any of the smaller, regional GSM carriers in the country.

Cloning the IMEI? Illegal, much? Wouldn't matter, anyway.

6. yode macrumors 6502

well according to Tallest, unlocking it won't make a difference.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, it CAN'T. If AT&T sees ANY iPhone for which they require a data plan that does not have a data plan, it is added and you pay for it. End of story.

So even if you unlock and get a cheapo plan from AT&T with no data and whatever else not included and use your iPhone with it, they will ADD the data plan.

8. loleries macrumors newbie

Wrong. Completely and utterly wrong. I have been using a 3g without a data plan since launch and AT&T has never charged me a penny for data.

On occasion they sent a text message saying they *can* add it, but never actually have.

You need to learn the difference between can and will.

9. yode macrumors 6502

was yours unlocked?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm sorry, but with one post, I don't believe you. AT&T has explicitly stated that they add data plans to iPhones that are supposed to have them but do not.

11. loleries macrumors newbie

What they say and what they do are two different things.

Frankly, I could care less.

OP - you have nothing to worry about. Take it from somebody who actually knows what their talking about.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*sigh* Isn't it the truth with the telecoms. :(

13. yode macrumors 6502

So... is your phone unLOCKED? Does it matter?

14. cubsfan334 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, is your phone unlocked? I want to switch to Tmobile, the only reason I would stay with AT&T is if I could get the 3gs with no data.

15. AC773 macrumors member

AC773

From what I've seen, this is not only possible, but perfectly acceptable by AT&T. Let me explain the difference:

If you're using an iPhone with a non-iPhone data plan:
    AT&T will come down on you like a ton of bricks. They don't like people who do this, and they're going to send you a bunch of texts until you comply, or they change you to the iPhone plan themselves. HOWEVER, it takes them a while to figure out your scheme, like a little over a month. They scan their network regularly to see who's doing what, with what phone. If they find you using an iPhone IMEI with a non-iPhone data plan, they flag your account for further inquiry.

To get around this, you could spoof your IMEI (this is technically illegal) to make AT&T think you're using some phone other than an iPhone. However, hacks for this haven't been available since one of the first versions of ZiPhone.

If you're using an iPhone with no data plan at all:
    You're golden. Sure, they'd prefer it if you would fork over the extra cash, but their subsidy runs through the voice plan, and that goes for all phones. They require you to sign up for a data plan at the time you purchase the iPhone, but after that, just give them a call and cancel it. Many people have done this, and it works just fine. Be sure to request a WIX block as well, and change your iPhone's APN (google it) so data transmission will be blocked on both ends. You don't want to get a $5,000 phone bill next month because your phone used data without your permission.

Hope this helps

16. cubsfan334 thread starter macrumors newbie

So i could buy a 3GS off of ebay, pop in my current SIM with the WIX block, and AT&T won't care? I just don't wanna get owned by them adding the $30 plan without telling me.

17. David-fr macrumors 6502

I just called AT&T and tell them I did not wanted 3G so they took it off my plan

18. AC773 macrumors member

AC773

Sure you could, but if you're going to be on AT&T anyway, why would you? You could do the same thing with a new, subsidized 3GS and save a lot of money.

19. cubsfan334 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I'm not completely sure that they would take off the data and because I would prefer a no contract plan.

20. ghcmonkey macrumors newbie

I talked to 2 sales reps in different stores. One said you could cancel data, and one said you absolutely cannot... They need to get their facts straight. What I really want to do is keep 3g for a few months to try it out, then add a WIX block and use solely wifi. I'm on a campus, so I pretty much have wifi everywhere. How possible do you think this is? It seems pretty much hit or miss depending on which sales rep you get, no?

21. rfrankl macrumors 6502

So could u just buy a new iPhone from the Apple store and tell them you don't want a data plan?

22. cheezebob macrumors member

Ya, can u? I thought you couldn't and that was why people did emei hacks. Also, if this is possible, what wouldnt work without the 3g and just wifi? Visual voicemail? texting?

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wrong.
    A friend has been using a jailbroken iphone 3G with AT&T and blocked data settings for over 7 months now.
    They never said anything thru text or any other means.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wrong.
    They said if they catch people using other data plans with the iphone and not the correct iphone data they will contact them to change it to the appropriate plan.
    Like if people using a 2G $20 iphone data plan on the iphone 3G instead of the $30 plan etc....
    Its weird how I see your user handle associated alot with alot of wrong or misinformed posts.

25. the.ill.postino macrumors newbie

**edit: sorry, I didn't see there was another page of responses. Sounds like unlocking is not necessary.**

Thanks to applejuiced and others for trying to clarify the situation here -- I'm trying to figure out the same question asked by the OP and appreciate the help.

Could someone confirm whether it is necessary to jailbreak AND unlock an iphone purchased from ebay/craigslist/whatever (i.e. I'm not talking about AT&T's official policy for phones purchased from them) to use it with AT&T without a data plan.

My girlfriend has an at&t plan that does not include any data (i.e. pay per use at high rates). I got a good deal on a used 3g iphone, and want to set her up so that it never uses data, but she can access the internet through wi-fi.

I was planning to install a program like the following to disable data:

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2008/10/11/using-an-iphone-without-the-data-plan/

I suspect At&T will be able to detect that she's using an iphone, but since no data will be used, i didn't buy the phone from them, and i'll use quickpwn to activate/jailbreak it, I assume there should be no problem, right?

Applejuiced, it sounds like that is basically what your friend has done? Do you know if he has a turbo sim to unlock the device, or was it fine on At&t without it?

Thanks again, all.