iPhone not green and bad for customers: why has Apple done this again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willie45, Oct 18, 2007.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

I can recall the hoo - hah about Apple and the iPod battery fiasco a few years ago and yet, some 4 years later, they still have not taken their customers seriously, nor have they cared a jot about the planet we live on.

As I understand it, the iPhone (like the iPod ) has a battery which is not changeable. This makes a nice profit for Apple when the naive individuals who have parted with their cash for one of these extraordinarily meaningless and overpriced pieces of plastic, have to change the whole thing because of a simple battery run down, but it does nothing for the planet.

All but the most stupid of Apple religionists, will know that Apple are the most cynically exploitative of companies but I do feel that for Mr Jobs to pontificate about the green qualities of the new iMac while producing another buck - making pollution device is going a step too far.

For pity's sake how long is this disgusting ethos going to be allowed to continue before we say, "enough"?

Willie

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Hey look Mom, it's a real life Enviro-Nazi! Can I keep him, mom? Can I, can I?! :eek:

3. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh dear another of Steve's hallelujah chorus! All right then sweetie, how about your precious pocket book. How does it sit with that?

4. PDE macrumors 68020

Regardless of what you think of the tone of the post, the concern is justified. Obviously Apple should do better and so should many companies. That everybody else is just as bad does not excuse it.

How old are you?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Go find a Greenpeace forum. We all get on our knees, face Cupertino and pray to the God of Jobs every morning.

With all due respect, there have been many threads like this. Gotta run, my iPhone is ringing.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The phone does not need replacement, only the battery (by Apple or authorized service centers), and not many of those will truly require replacement.

At least Apple is more likely to properly dispose of the battery, as opposed to the consumer, who will probably just throw it into the trash.

Quit reading Greenpeace brochures. The paper is acidic, the ink is carcinogenic, and the claims hallucinogenic.

Try again.

7. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

I do get a bit frustrated with Apple though, and as a company who influences the more naive such as the poster referred to above, I do think they have a responsibility which they have steadfastly refused to own.

Willie

Hmm who you going to believe|: Apple or Greenpeace? Tough call hah hah

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Greenpeace is wrong on the facts again. And IMO is using Apple's image to ride on.

Look at apple's response.

9. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

How does making a battery self replaceable heal mother earth exactly?

I guess it spreads out the batteries in dumps all around the world instead of putting them all in Apples dump and somehow that helps? :p

10. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh dear. I really do despair. Lets just leave it. I bought Apple. I like their products. I will continue to do this. I really do hate some of the attitudes displayed by my fellow customers though. Lets not ask Apple to show any responsibility to the planet ( or their customers ) because it is dreadful sin to question them or criticise them in any way.

I am beginning to understand how you people voted the amazing Bush into office

Willie

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If you have a point to make, how about your try it without the attitude? Might be a bit better received.

12. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

How about answering the question?

Some of actually think before jumping on the latest cool "bashing" fad. It helps you avoid looking like an idiot. You really should try it.

13. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I don't think the attitude is one way by any means. My points are these.

Apple need to take their responsibility to the environment seriously.

They consistently do badly in ratings which reflect the green credentials of companies.

They have consistently shown that they do not care unless it affects their profit margins.

It is therefore our responsibility to tell them we want them to be greener rather than buying every piece of poisonous material they tell us we need.

The company does seem to inspire an attitude of subservience amongst their customers which I believe is for a variety of reasons and this attitude of unquestioning loyalty needs to change in order for the above to happen.

Is that reasonable?

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

this actually makes me love apple even more .. sure, jobs is portrayed as a tree hugging hippie, but in real life he hates our planet as much as the next guy! hooray for apple!

15. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Here's the real point. Most people do not simply purchase a replacement battery for their phone when the old one no longer holds an acceptable charge—they buy a new phone. As noted above, they are also MORE likely to dispose of said battery irresponsibly.

The non-user-replaceable battery actually probably solves more problems than it creates. Those users who want a replacement battery get it from Apple, who dispose of the old one correctly and safely. Those who would buy a new phone anyway do that (and Apple DOES have iPod/iPhone recycling programs in place, where they will take you old one and dispose of it properly).

Mostly I think your original point is EXTREMELY flimsy. There are far worse dangers to our environment than Apple making a device with a non-user-replaceable battery. I'd start with "the oil companies" and work my way downwards. :rolleyes:

16. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Apple's non-removable battery is GREENER

While the poster you are lambasting did chose their words poorly, you are completely wrong here and so is the OP.

This entire thread is a troll and should have been deleted already.

Apple's way of making a non-replaceable battery is actually GREENER than the alternative. The batteries last on average far longer than the device they are used in and are more likely to be re-cycled than the removable batteries in other products. They are also the safest and one of the most energy efficient types of batteries known. When a better battery comes along, or a "greener" battery comes along, you can be sure that Apple wil have it in their products before any other manufacturer too.

Why the idiot that started this thread chooses to talk about the battery "issue" in the context of Apple "not being green" just shows a complete lack of understanding of any of the issues involved. A better target would be the recent discovery of flame retardants still being used even though Apple would still be "green" on that score by adhering to all current regulations and guidelines.

The iPhone is as "Green" as any other similar piece of tech today, period. This thread is a complete troll-fest and it's the mental age of the OP that should be in question here. :mad:

17. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not certain the battery is replaceable, and if it is would still require shipement back and forth to the factory for the work to be carried out. In other ways too, the iphone is a poor performer in terms of the environment. It contains toxic chemicals which other manufaturers have since phased out. Apple, lamely, have stated they will phase these out by the end of next year. Strange philoshop when the iPhone only came out this year.

I do wish you would put aside your prejudice and take on the idea that multi-nationals, even Apple, have some responsibilities.

18. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Willie,

The device needs a battery. Whether it is user replaceable or not is immaterial. Your supposition is that Apple will take the returned iPhone, dispose of it and send the customer a new iPhone. That has not been the case as most people can attest to the fact that they have been receiving *refurbished* iPhones.

As someone else pointed out, Apple is far more likely to properly dispose of a battery than an ordinary consumer.

As for your prattling on about Greenpeace and Apple, please refer to this article:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/16/greenpeace_vs_apple

Too bad that's not getting any press.

:cool:

-DotComCTO

19. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

You're on the board

20. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

21. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

All right. Can we agree that Apple could and should do more to promote environmentally friendly strategies in the electronics industry?

22. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Still waiting for the OP to answer this question- otherwise, as another poster stated, the original argument is "flimsy"..

23. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

You may disagree with me but I was not in any way being a troll

24. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Last time i saw him he was walking into a forest with a condom and a bottle of ky...he should be back in about 10 minutes

25. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Answered above