iPhone not showing up in Computer after 3.1.2

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tjkismyname, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Tjkismyname macrumors newbie

I recently updated my iPhone 3GS software to the latest version (3.1.2).

Before the upgrade, whenever I plugged my phone into the computer, it would give me an autoplay option so i could get my pictures and videos off of the camera. it also showed up explorable with the other drives under "computer".

Now it does neither. It does still show up in iTunes and syncs everything else just fine, and my MobileMe syncing is working as usual, but I can't find a way to get my pictures and videos transferred.

iTunes version is 9.0.1.8. I have Vista Home Premium 64-bit on an HP Laptop with AMD Turion x2 dual-core processor 2.00Ghz and 4GB of RAM.

I have ALREADY TRIED uninstalling the device driver and then plugging the phone back in to have it reinstall.

When I do this, under device manager, I see it recognize the iphone briefly, and then shows up as the Apple Mobile Device under the USB section.

It reinstalls the driver just fine, but still nothing.

What can I do?? Is there any other way to make it recognize it as a drive or camera??

Thanks!

2. jingles8302 macrumors member

I got the same problem. no answers for me yet either. I'm on the same OS as you are too.

3. Tjkismyname thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it. So maybe it's a compatibility issue between the newest version of the iPhone software and the 64-bit version of windows home premium?? in which case, we just have to wait until Apple or Microsoft do something about it??

i sure hope not.

thanks for responding!

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

there is a thread somewhere here that tells you how to fix it.

one of the plists has to be cleared out on the phone.
    I will see if I can locate it

couldn't find the original thread but the info is posted on this thread.
    http://www.mahalo.com/answers/from-...ates-and-reinstalls-done-still-wont-work-help
    For Windows:

1. Quit iTunes
    2. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes
    3. Now find:
    - iTunesPrefs.xml
    4. Move this file to a temp folder somewhere (like the desk).
    5. Restart the computer
    6. Open iTunes
    7. Try to connect the iPod Touch (using the hard rest method outlined above), and see if it will sync.

If this works, then you can throw away the temp folder that's holding the old preference files\.
    If it doesn't work (and you've tried everything above), then I think you've come to the end of the road, and Apple may be your only recourse.

On a Mac:

1. Quit iTunes
    2. Go to your user "Home Directory" > Library > Preferences
    3. Now find:
    - com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist
    - com.apple.iTunes.plist
    - com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist
    - com.apple.iPod.plist
    4. Move those four files to a temp folder somewhere (like the desktop).
    5. Restart the computer.
    6. Open iTunes
    7. Try to connect the iPod Touch (using the hard rest method outlined above), and see if it will sync.

If this works then, you can throw away the temp folder that's holding the old preference files.
    If it doesn't work (and you've tried everything above), then I think you've come to the end of the road, and Apple may be your only recourse.

NOTE: In either of the above you can also restore your old preferences for iTunes by simply moving the files back (from the temp folder) to their original locations.

5. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

Try this first:

Connect your iPhone to you PC.

On your computer, open the "control panel" (Start menu - on the right side of the application menu)

Once the control panel is open, there should be an "Auto-Play" icon, open that. Scroll down to the bottom where it will list "devices." Your iPhone should be listed there; change the setting to "ask me every time."

Click on "save" at the bottom of the window.

disconnect your iPhone and then reconnect it, the auto-play dialog box should pop up now.

If it is just an auto-play setting problem, this should resolve it.

6. jingles8302 macrumors member

Rolltide. Thanks. but i tried that MANY times. didn't work.
    Jingles.

7. Tjkismyname thread starter macrumors newbie

bruinsrme, thanks for the reply-- however, I'm actually having the opposite issue. the phone WILL sync just fine with iTunes, it just WON'T show up as a drive or camera on the computer so i can get the photos/videos i took. Just for kicks, I went ahead and tried the method you described, but to no avail.

Rolltide--thanks for the reply-- however, same as Jingles, I'm afraid... I tried that and got nothing...

8. Tjkismyname thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay-- I figured out something that did work, and it's really quite simple:rolleyes:.

Just perform a 'soft' reset on the phone by holding down both the top and home buttons at the same time until an apple appears on the screen... once it boots back up, plug it back into the computer... popped right up....

i was afraid to try this because i thought it might erase the pics/videos i've taken, but they're still there and are importing to my computer now!

hope this works for you too jingles.

9. jingles8302 macrumors member

I tried that a few times last night. It didnt work. do you have a 3g or a 3GS?
    Thanks for trying everyone here, i appreciate it.
    Sincerely, Jingles.

10. turbo01z28 macrumors newbie

Subscribed. I'm having the exact same problem. I've tried just about everything but nothing seems to work.

11. jingles8302 macrumors member

did you try restoring as a new device? or restoring at all? i am gonna try that sometime soon aswell. Let me know.
    Sincerely,

12. GlassBullet macrumors regular

GlassBullet

I'm having the same problem. and i've tried restoring, still nothing

13. jingles8302 macrumors member

14. GlassBullet macrumors regular

GlassBullet

3GS

15. turbo01z28 macrumors newbie

16. jthomp macrumors regular

Wow... I thought I was the only one, but from the looks of it, i'm not! I originally thought it was due to upgrading to Win7, but it doesn't show up a s a camera on my home or work (XPSP2) PC. Subscribing to this thread in hopes of a fix!

EDIT: Just a thought.... Could this have anything to do with the new version of itunes that came out to compliment the Apple TV update? That's the only thing I can think of that has changed at least in my case...

17. GlassBullet macrumors regular

GlassBullet

good idea, but i think way more people would be posting on here if it was everybody. i think it has something to do with a past jailbreak that left a bug in the phone. or something like that

18. JavaKing macrumors newbie

Here's a solution to the same problem

I was able to fix this problem by using WinSCP to manually transfer the photos off of the iPhone.. once they were all gone from my iPhone, the Autoplay feature started working again as normal on my PC. The folder the photos are stored in is /var/mobile/media/DCIM/100APPLE Hope this helps!

19. jingles8302 macrumors member

how do you use winSCP? Or should i just delete all the photo's and then it should work?

20. JavaKing macrumors newbie

Yes, if you are able to remove all photos then that should reset it too (some people have thousands of Camera Roll photos though).

The instructions for setting up WinSCP with OpenSSH can be found by Googling "WinSCP iPhone". Just a big word of caution though.. there is recently now an iPhone worm when running OpenSSH with the default root password "alpine".. you should change the root password from "alpine" to something else if you are going to run OpenSSH on the iPhone (Google for "iPhone change root password") Hope that helps!

21. jingles8302 macrumors member

Well my iphone is not jailbroken and it never has been. and i have 200 pics in the camera roll. So i think winSCP won't work for me. might just email them to myself 4-5 pics at a time.

22. JavaKing macrumors newbie

Yes, that is a lot of pics to email.. a quicker method might be to use an App like PixelPipe to transfer them all at once to a free Picasa account online from Google, which can then be downloaded back to your PC. Just a suggestion.

23. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Won't they be lower resolution versions than what you would get downloading them normally ?

24. GlassBullet macrumors regular

GlassBullet

25. jingles8302 macrumors member

Suddenly today i was looking at my device manager and noticed a MTP or MTD (I forget) device and said it could not start. so i determined it was from my iphone. so i uninstalled it and unplugged my iphone from my dock and then plugged my iphone back in and the drivers installed and i can now access my camera roll. :)
    Hope this helps somebody.
    p.s. this was on a dell studio slim 540 with win 7 home premium 64 bit installed and the latest windows and itunes updates installed.