iPhone Not Switching From 3G to Edge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasonmac31, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jasonmac31 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I got my iPhone 4 a couple days ago and love it! The only problem I have is that the phone won't automatically switch from 3G to Edge. I've read about EDGE to 3G but not the other way around. At my house I get 0-2 bars 3G coverage and almost full bars on EDGE. What the phone is doing is staying on 3G and at times loses the 3G signal then starts searching instead of switching to EDGE. Anyone have this problem or even heard of it? I called Apple and they didn't know what it could be.

I've tried:
    - Re-seating the SIM card
    - Restarting the phone
    - Resetting the network preferences.

Nothing seems to work. I have to manually turn off 3G for the phone to switch to EDGE, which is fine (albeit annoying) at my house, but problematic when driving and I don't know if 3G has been lost.

Thanks for the help.

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

It's still going to look for 3g signal if it loses it before switching to edge so it must be getting a weak signal and not switching. Your best bet is to just turn off 3g when you're not out and about to save yourself some heart ache...... Or move to a place with better reception.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Your phone is prioritizing 3G over Edge. You won't get Edge unless you absolutely do not have any 3G signal available.

It will take 1 bar of 3G rather than 5 of Edge. You are better off turning it off manually if it really helps. In my experiences, my chances of a drop call don't increase if I have lower bars. It just takes a second longer to connect, but hell, it's 3G!!!

Haha, this kind of made my day. :D

4. jasonmac31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, but I don't think I explained myself well enough.

What you guys said SHOULD be the case. That is, the phone SHOULD switch to EDGE if it can't find a 3G signal. The problem is that it doesn't. It searches for JUST a 3G signal and if it can't find a 3G signal, I get NO reception at all. So, what I have to do is turn 3G off while in my apartment and then I get almost full bars of EDGE, but only if, I turn 3G off.

This is fine when I'm in my apartment, but I can imagine a number of scenarios when I'm driving and I lose 3G coverage and I should get EDGE but don't. I can't constantly be checking my phone to turn off 3G and I would very much prefer to not always have 3G turned off.

In other words, I understand that my phone prioritizes 3G and that it will take 1 bar over 5. That's fine. What is not fine is that it only accepts 3G and will lose signal entirely if 3G is not available.

As for moving, I'm pretty happy where I am at the moment. Maybe in a couple years though :eek:

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced