iPhone notifications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FiremanMike, Jan 29, 2011.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

I've read several reports that iphones have crappy notifications for emails/texts, but I can't seem to find anywhere that describes what happens.

I'm used to my droid 1 with it's little blinking LED to let me know if I have a new email or text. Can anyone tell me what the iphone does when I have an email or text?

Thanks all!

2. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

An annoying bubble pops up asking you to decline or answer something (basically). Most of us decline instantly and never get to see what the notification was for. It's obtrusive and downright stupid.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

The worst is when the phone or ipad or touch is in sleep mode. You turn it on and auto swipe to unlock only to realize there was something on the screen... too bad you can't see it there anymore.

4. foodle macrumors 6502

You can set an audio cue or vibrate pulse when you get a new message. On the icon of that particular app, there's a little number in the corner in red indicating how many unread messages you have of that particular type (phone, txt, email, etc.). No blinking LED a la Blackberry.

5. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any external notification, LED or likewise, to let me know I have a notification that I need to pick up the phone and check?

6. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

7. monkey186 macrumors member

No. I miss this feature of my old android phone.

8. luked14 macrumors 6502

LockInfo is a great notification system available through Cydia if you're jailbroken. Much better than the default notification bubbles.

9. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I'm sure that this will be addressed in iOS 5. Until then, however, I'm not sure that I'll really mind it that much. (Will have my iPhone in 2 weeks and haven't actually experienced the notification system firsthand). I assume that if you arrange all of your apps that have regular notifications on the first page, then you'd immediately see what you've missed, even if you accidentally got rid of the bubble notification.

10. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I agree they are down right stupid. Iphones notifications are the worst on any mobile platform.

11. monkey186 macrumors member

But the blinking LED will still be missing. It was very handy with Android, often you would miss the sound of a notification, or the phone is on silent etc; with Android you'd only need to glance on the phone and you see the LED blinking specific colour. Very handy.

12. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Some users probably don't notice it, but for those of us who have a constant influx of notifications, it's chaos. :mad:

13. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Negative

From the number of comments about this, it is not good. Is it a reason that makes the iPhone not worth getting? I rely on this kind of thing because I cannot hear very well.

14. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't say it's not worth getting just because it has a stupid notification system...there are other good things about iPhone / iOS
    If you miss the notification tone, you can always wake up the phone every once in a while to check...if you don't mind doing that...
    But if an efficient notification system is very, very important to you, then you might wanna rethink about getting an iPhone.

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

No - but it is annoying. The good thing is - this isn't a hardware issue - it's a software one, which means it can be easily fixed. Many of us are hoping iOS 5 will finally bring a cure. The real problem is for power users, who tend to receive hundreds of them every day. One or two every now and then won't hurt. :cool:

16. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

If you've owned a phone with a good, reliable, fast notification system like Android, the iPhone will drive you crazy.

There are aspects of an iPhone I enjoy, therefore I must carry two phones. The Android or BlackBerry phones have excellent systems.

The iPhone does not, nor will it. Apple has yet to understand the importance of timely mobile communications.

17. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Then why would Apple hire the guy behind WebOS'? :confused: They understand it - they just haven't implemented a very good system. The iOS 5 preview event is in April, so we shouldn't have to wait long until we know what we're getting.

18. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I used to own a Blackberry, which obviously has a great notification system with an LED as well, and when I switched to a new phone that lacked these features, it really didn't bother me that much. YMMV.

19. Fugue macrumors 6502

As an Android user who will soon use the iPhone I will probably have a hard time transitioning to the iOS notification system. Hopefully a jailbreak for 4.3 will be imminent and will solve the issues.

20. Rodvette macrumors regular

+1

I have heard time and time after again how inferior the IOS notification system is compared to Android. Hopefully I will not be bothered by it too much but I will definitely be rooting (whoops I mean jailbreaking lol) my iphone when I get the chance

21. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Expect the notifications to be improved in iOS 5, regardless.

22. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

there are plenty of jailbreaks that make this a non issue. I've been using Lockinfo for quite some time now and it is everything I need :)

23. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

I've never had an Android phone. I will be alright if I don't get too many messages on top of each other.

24. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

If you're a heavy user: chaos! :eek:

If you're a light user: no biggie. :)

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would say Android blackberry and all them have great system.

iPhone system is crap even compared to what is used on a dumb phone. Those Feature phones have a notification system heads over heals better than iOS's. I turn them off on my iPod because how crappy they are and it is not like i get many messages on that.