Iphone On Three (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danarc, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Danarc macrumors member

How is the signal on three network, I am aware that their customer service is not the best but how about their signal coverage? I am currently on o2 and thinking about moving to 3 because of its unlimited data.

2. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

I'm also thinking the same,various things with O2 are getting on my nerves such as dropped calls and bad 3G in various areas i frequent.

I did a browser on 3G test the other day with my IP4 (on O2 with 3 signal bars) and a colleagues IP4 (on 3 with 1 signal bar) and the IP4 on 3 was much faster at getting to the BBC site and loading it,the images were also crystal clear where as on my IP4 they were blocky/blurry.

3. Danarc thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, i think i will try 3 network out for a few days on a pay as you go before i switch. More experiences are most welcome, thanks.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Worth ordering a free PAYG sim anyway, because it may give you an "Existing Customer" discount on the new phone (there isn't one with iPhone 4, but iPad 2 is £30 off). I'm also looking to go for Three. Being a 3G network, the main difference is that you'll need 3G always enabled on your phone, although there is an Orange 2G fallback signal, I believe.

5. jellybean macrumors regular

I've had nothing but good experiences with Three. I can't vouch for how good or bad their customer service is, because the whole time I've been with them I haven't once had to speak to a human being. But as for their 3G data, I'm shocked at how good it is!! Truly unlimited downloads (no fair usage policy), completely free tethering which also works with iPad, and the speed ... !!! I ran the Speedtest.net app where I live, and the speed is always in the region of 4 mbp/s, which is by far the best download speed I've experienced on any of the networks, and very reliable connection too.

6. Danarc thread starter macrumors member

I have been hearing their customer service is very bad. The unlimited data is very very tempting to be honest. How is the voicemail service?

7. skiman macrumors member

If you ever have a problem with Three - Go into a Three store and speak to someone, don't phone their call centre in India...

The Three network is actually the best around - Ive been on everyone but Vodafone and by far Three is the fastest, most reliable and the best tariffs around.

8. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Three reception: easily the best.

Three customer service: easily the worst (go straight to executive escalations, really helpful).

9. jellybean macrumors regular

Pretty bogstandard really. Not visual voicemail unfortunately, just regular voicemail, but it's perfectly adequate.

10. Danarc thread starter macrumors member

No visual voicemail:( I guess the unlimited data will compensate for that.

11. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I did just this - switched from O2 to 3 PAYG about 6 months ago - and haven't looked back, 3G has greatly improved for me, best decision I made. It's also worth checking out all the carriers coverage maps on their websites.

Here's a useful independent map created by the BBC when they crowd sourced information recently for this very purpose. Data was collected on Android phones but is still relevant.

12. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Best price plan compared to any network.

More minutes and unlimited data then any other network.

Faster speeds and much better reliability and coverage then any other network.

----------

Even were the last company to get the iPhone 4-they have more customers on iPhone then any other

13. Dylan35 macrumors newbie

no 2g

three no longer have a 2g roaming agreement with orange. I used it to get out of my contract with them . It's 3g or nothing.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you got any evidence to support that claim?

15. Terrified macrumors regular

That's not strictly true. They *must* have 2G with someone, as get Edge on mine quite frequently (normally) in our local church.

To second what everyone else has said, network = great, customer service = shoddy.

I moved back to them recently, after the poor customer service became too much - I moved to Orange and found their network to be awful. Really bad congestion, so could rarely get an actual data connection, despite regularly having 5 bars. Moved back to 3, iPhone became like a new phone to me. Actually getting push notifications, emails etc through on time made such a difference.

The unlimited data and free tethering really helps, and I've only had network congestion issues in one, very crowded area of Tower Bridge, London.

16. -iKris- macrumors regular

I'm on O2 at the moment, but really liked the look of 3 for the new iPhone. I need a couple of iPhones on a business tariff, and 3's tariffs look way better than any other out there.

I was worried about reception because I'd heard bad things, but after seeing this thread it seems reception is not too bad at all.

17. Dylan35 macrumors newbie

18. Danarc thread starter macrumors member

It seems people are generally happy with 3 apart from its customer service.

19. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

20. machasm macrumors member

Been running 3G from 3 on my iPad in Poole in Dorset and have found the coverage and speed very good.
    Just ran a speediest now and am getting 3.61mps down and 1.61 mbps up.
    Not bad at all.
    Just for the record running my iPhone on t-mobile and find it to be nowhere near as reliable or as fast. Will be switching that to 3 as soon as the contract runs out.
    Mac

21. Danarc thread starter macrumors member

:confused: Does this mean if you can't get a 3g signal, you will have no signal?

22. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Mine's on t-mobile also, and the 3G speeds are absolutely shocking (0.3 up, 0.05 down).

Sounds like it, although the poster above, Terrified, said that he receives EDGE signal so it's perhaps in certain areas only. None the less, Three coverage is hardly bad in general, and you can check what it's like for your post code here: http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/Coverage?maptypeForm=mobile&placename=&postcode=

23. Danarc thread starter macrumors member

24. iTootyFrooty macrumors member

Thinking of going from o2 business to three business, which apparently has a glasgow call centre.. Experiences with this anyone?

25. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

3 has great reception, and good cust service in my experience.