iPhone or BB Bold for a med student?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chetanvedvyas, Jul 23, 2008.

1. chetanvedvyas macrumors newbie

This is kind of a repeat of what I posted over at theiphoneblog. I hope you all don't mind this. I just noticed that macrumors seems to have a more active forum for this post:

Hello,

I'm a med student and I'm trying to figure out which device to get for the next 2 years: a Bold or an iPhone. I've looked into both, but am unsure about which way to go. I have Verizon and would have to switch to AT&T if I wanted the iPhone.

I think the absolute software development fervor surrounding the iPhone puts it at a clear advantage for medical applications. But, I think the Bold is far quicker and easier to manage in a few arenas, especially for rapidly dialing phone numbers, dialing from contacts, and adding contacts. Also, I feel as though it will be easier to quickly type lengthier messages on the Bold.

Can somebody enlighten me as to why I should go either way?
    Also, I only know of ePocrates Rx for the iPhone. Does anyone know of other medical apps currently available or in production for the iPhone?

Thank you!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Hello, first of all welcome. Macrumors is much more thriving than theiphoneblog. :)

If you're main priority is speed of dialing and contacts, then i would go with the iPhone. Of course you are going to get some bias opinions because after all this is an iPhone forum, but if you wanted to stay in touch via eail on the go, then i would get the blackberry. Of course, the iPhone still handles exchange support, just not that of the blackberry yet.

As for making a phone call, it's the process of pulling out your phone, home button, slide to unlock, then hit phone. Takes about 3 seconds, then you have the option to go through contacts or dial a phone number. Whatever you were in last will save it there for next time. So you dial a number, then hang up. And hour later when you use the phone, you just hit phone and its ready to dial already.

With the iPhone like you said, you also have these amazing medical applications.
    There are other medical apps available as well, just go into iTunes if possible, then to the iTunes store, and hit App Store on the left.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

things to consider
    1) do u have an ipod? if not could you get a memory card and put mp3s on it and use it in bold?
    2) do you need email syncing? if you get a Bold, it will be on BIS which means email doesnt sync up properly like it would do on imap on an iPhone
    3)if you need faster browsing it will be faster on the BB, because it will be 3G data and it will be compressed.

this is all i can think of to start with.

4. kiteskiutah macrumors newbie

iphone!!!!

Wrong forum to ask this question. Or is it?

As non-biased as I can be....iPhone!!!!

I had a BB pearl/curve for quite a while and made the switch last year to the iphone. Hands down it is a more user friendly phone. As for your concerns...
    you can quick dial just as fast (set up favorites list, one touch) however, there is no voice dial. There is an app for it but it seems just as easy to hit "favorites as to open the app.

Medical apps. Can you even get these on a BB. I can't imagine they are half as good as the new 2.0 apps. (ichart EMR, MIM, birth buddy, etc with more coming every day) You can't beat this.

Verizon vs. Att. Verizon has much better coverage especially in rural areas. But if you are in the city it doesn't matter.

Although I have not played around with the bold, the iphone interface is amazing in comparison. Only disadvantage I see is immediate push email...but supposedly Apple is fixing that.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Currently the only other med applications available for the iPhone are the Modality Netter's Anatomy/Neuroscience/Musculoskeletal flash cards. There's nothing more in depth yet.

Unbound have made a bit of noise but I'm not really sure how they are going re:apps. A lot of their product seems to be through web apps rather than on the device. But you can access Harrison's etc this way.

I haven't heard much else yet but to be honest I haven't looked beyond what's available in the iTunes App store.

6. dj420118 macrumors regular

I can't believe no one has mentioned epocrates yet. It was only one of the first applications showcased on the iPhone. I am a medical student as well and epocrates has really helped with the pharmacology class. I also spoke to a lexi-comp representative and he informed me that they have an iPhone App in the works as well for the end of the summer. No one can beat the iPhone's touch screen interface for applications as of yet so i think the choice is a no brainer :)

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yes they have :D.

8. alhkim macrumors newbie

Go with iPhone

For a med student, I would go with the iPhone if BB is your only other alternative. I had Treo in med school and then a Tilt afterward; both platforms have ample amount of medical software to add on which made both devices perfect to work with.

But my patience with WM6 wore thin (it is just a clunky OS) and I didn't feel like the Palm platform was moving forward (although it did want I needed it to do), so I was faced with the same question as you: iPhone vs BB.

Once I saw Epocrates during the SDK presentation, my mind was made up. It runs very smoothly on my iPhone and plans are for the Essentials packages to be added on for their yearly subscription fee (that package contains most importantly MedMath, which has virtually every medical equation you will ever need).

Also consider the growth of the App store; programs such as Eponyms which I really liked on my previous devices, haven't been offered yet, but myself and my colleagues have requested such a program from the developers. I believe it's just a matter of time before it'll be added on. Also, Skyscape (which has many medical textbooks and references in electronic format) either has already or are very close to getting an app ready for release.

BB will never have the diversity of medical software that the iPhone will have in 3-6 mths. And as for calling people and email, the iPhone works as quickly as my old Treo and much quicker than my Tilt.

If you have any more questions, just PM me.

9. dj420118 macrumors regular

Gah! I missed it on his post. Either way the app is good enough reason to choose the iPhone :)

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

This is an iPhone forum. The replies you will get will Be obviously biased.

11. dauerhippo macrumors regular

I would definitely go with iPhone. I only wish I had had Netter's on my phone during the first two years of med school. Every 1st year medical student uses Netter's anatomy atlas, and the program for the iPhone is a great way to study anywhere and to test yourself, since it has a built-in quiz mode.

Also, I would check with your school's IT to make sure that you will be able to get your email on the iPhone or BB, but even if they say no, there are always work-arounds for that.

Good luck in school.

12. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

You might want to look into WindowsMobile6. There are a lot more medical-specific applications for it.
    Check out the Treo 800W. It has everything the iPhone has and a lot more capability to boot. The only thing it doesn't do as well is media/music/photos/video. Beyond that it does much more than iPhone.
    I'd rank em generally this way:
    office support
    WM
    BB
    iphone

media
    iphone
    wm
    bb

email
    bb
    wm
    iphone

3rd party apps
    wm
    iphone
    bb

med specific apps
    wm
    iphone
    bb

13. paj macrumors regular

paj

I'm not sure I agree with that. I own both an iPhone and a BB and here are the steps required to dial:

Dial an arbritary number:

BB
    1. Take out of case. (automatically switches on)
    2. Dial number
    3. Press send

iPhone
    1. Take out of case
    2. Switch on
    3. Swipe finger to unlock
    4. Click the phone icon
    5. Click the keypad icon
    6. Dial number
    7. Press send

Dial a favorite:

BB
    1. Take out of case. (automatically switches on)
    2. Start typing name of contact (list dynamically shrinks as you type)
    3. Select contact
    4. Press send
    The other option on the BB is to use a speed dial. This will reduce the number of steps to 2.

iPhone
    1. Take out of case
    2. Switch on
    3. Swipe finger to unlock
    4. Click the phone icon
    5. Click the contacts icon
    6. Scroll to top of list
    7. Click on search bar
    8. Start typing name of contact (list dynamically shrinks as you type)
    9. Select contact
    10. Click the phone number field

Having said that, is the BlackBerry Bold available yet?

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Sheesh, how can this be a deal breaker, because one is has to spend an extra slight effort to call?

15. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Actually, I'm not sure I agree with that either.

iPhone
    1. Switch on
    2. Swipe finger to unlock
    3. Click the phone icon
    4. Click the favorites icon
    5. Select contact

16. paj macrumors regular

paj

True. However, that would equate to the following on the BB:
    1. Press and hold speed dial key

If you need to actually find the contact, then the original comparison holds true.

17. paj macrumors regular

paj

Sheesh! Did you even read the first post? The OP specifically asked about speed dialing.

Nobody is saying it's a deal breaker.
    Let's leave the fanboyism out of it and look at things objectively.

18. btcutter macrumors 6502

One thing people forget the iPhone with Safari allow a FULL internet experience which allow all medical related infomation to be viewed EASILY.

You can goto medical specific site and get answers you want and watch photos or videos.

19. paj macrumors regular

paj

Yep. Nothing comes close to the iPhone for web browsing.

The other thing that isn't available on any other phone I know of is the visual voicemail. I can't imagine being without it anymore.

20. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Of course I read it, and my point still applies to his original question. I don't think that little extra effort is that big of deal.

21. chinl macrumors member

If the primary purpose of the device is a phone, it stands to reason it needs to be an effective phone. I'm not sure why some people seem to think the iPhone is better than everything else in all ways as it clearly isn't.

22. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

iPhone is obviously not targeted to be just a phone, and OP is obviously not looking for just a phone. So perhaps speed dialing really doesn't belong on top of his priority list.

23. rek981 macrumors newbie

I am currently a fourth year medical student,

I cannot speak much for the BB, but I just got a iphone 1G with 2.0 software. I had a WM6 phone before which was a nightmare!! I mean, the WM6 phone had the potential to do a lot, but it did nothing well. It was huge, it was slow, it would crash, it was buggy. I had a bunch of medical software on it, and never opened up any programs because it was so slow and unresponsive. Thinking about that phone gives me chills and cold sweats.

I for one do not understanding the bitching about the iphone I have seen on blogs and forums, it seems that the people who complain about the iphone have never picked up a WM6 phone.

Anyway, the phone is intuitive, smooth, and responsive. It is thin and fits great in my pocket without any holster or case. It does everything I could possibly want from it. I checks all my email, works on my school's exchange server, and functions great as an ipod. Having 8 gigs of music and podcasts on my phone at all times is really great! I gave the IT department my iphone's MAC address, and it automatically logs onto the school's wireless for fast internet access. Safari is the sh*t, and I am sure it beats any webbrowser on the BB. I use Google Reader webapp to check my medical blogs.

With software 2.0, it has the only medical app you need, Epocrates for drug dosing. I do not find that I need any other medical software, but I am sure more is soon to arrive. I do not see any medical software on the forefront for the BB besides epocrates. If you are not someone who will be emailing all day long, I would definitely get the iphone without hesitation. Heck, I have even gotten quite fast and accurate on the soft-keyboard after only 2 weeks of usage.

Good luck with your decision.

Ross

24. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Maybe I mislead the OP's question but i don't think that i did. As a physician, I have both a treo 750 and and iphone 1gen and 3g.

Honestly, at the present time the iphone is virtually worthless for use by medical professionals for use in the day to day practice of medicine. Epocrates for iphone is no where near as comprehensive as the suite of products that is available for the palm based platform. I'm sure that this will improve, but for now it is not sufficient for use in my opinion.

With that being said, the iphone is the best handheld device that i have ever used. I use it for everything EXCEPT medical applications, for which i use my treo. I do not use the treo for anything else except for slingbox.

I'm sure that in the future more and more medical software will become available for the iphone, and that eventually the iphone will be an attractive choice for medical professionals. But in its current infancy it is not ready yet to overtake the palm platform, which has a more well established developer community.

So i would suggest using a palm device for medical apps(perhaps a used palm) and an iphone of course for everything else!!

25. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Actually...
    1. Standby button
    2. Slide to unlock
    3. Double-tap home
    4. Select contact

I suppose Paj would also like to include breathing, blinking and remaining conscious as some of the arduous steps necessary to use an iPhone.