iPhone or BlackBerry bold 9700 - which is your favourite?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glossywhite, Aug 22, 2010.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Having been a fervent supporter of all things Apple for four years, I thought it was time I broke away from the iGadget scene, and tried a few new phones. I tried Android over Christmas (UGHdroid!), and, more recently, I have been given a BlackBerry 8707g to play with, and then a Bold 9700.

I have to say, it was the whole fuss and popularity of the BB which caused me to want to investigate further... and I am so glad that I did - I love the things!.

So, folks out there in t'internet world, who has BlackBerry(s), who has iPhone(s) or who has *both*?.

Why do you like them, and which do you find more useful?.

Personally, I find the whole BB OS (5) extremely intuitive, and I love the fact that everything is merely a slip 'n' slide of the thumb away, and I can rattle off texts/emails in an instant, without a second wasted.

I love the iPhone - and I mean *love* - I am just getting a little bored of the whole iObsession nowadays, and wanted to see what the "competition"(??) are doing.

Glad that I did!. The camera is AMAZING on the 9700 btw!.

Signing off, please comment.

iThanks :)

2. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

you are asking this question in an iPhone forum?

To answer your question, things i like about blackberries:
    - Business look
    - Ease of business roll out
    - BBM

Things i don't like:
    - Built quality
    - Blackberry OS
    - Navigation (I can't stand the touch thing, far preferred the scroll wheel on the side)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Blackberries are nice, but for me, I prefer the iPhone. However, everyone has different needs and wants. So if you are liking the Bold 9700, then I'm glad.

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Mobile Safari is enough to tell you which one you should get.

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Terrific, different things work for different people. Blackberrys are quite nice but never been for me. My last two phones before my iPhone 4 were Androids so I fancied a change too!

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Had a 3G for a year, then switched to a BB 8900. I much prefer a BB to iPhone.

7. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Okay, but a *PHONE* is for more than surfing the internet, right?.

8. Smtevo macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that the camera on the 9700 was pretty bad, but to each his own.

9. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

10. youssefm macrumors 6502

I got tired of my iPhone (I change phones at least 2 times a year), but I've kept it since November! I got a bold 9700, and it's amazing in everything, minus the web browser. Until blackberry o/s 6 comes out, Safari is the best, but once bb6 hits the new bb's, it'll be up to par. So in general, I love both phones, and will probably switch back and forth while new models come out

11. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Battery life is key to a successful phone, and I must say that my old 3GS battery life was rubbish!. Also, what I don't understand is why one must press a soft button when taking photos & video - talk about counter-intuitive!.

Love both, but before I discovered BB's, I was under the impression that iPhone was king (ah, how blinkered one may become in the orchard! :D) but now I'm not so sure, because these BlackBerries sure are super duper, and I'm about communication and notifications, not people inventing *another* reason to spend my hard earned £££ on the App store, for something I don't even need.

Love both, as I said, but I find the BB more useful as a communicator, and the OS is superrrrrrbbb!.

12. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Looks good, ive played with the 9700 camera and it wasnt AMAZING to me. Now the iPhone4 camera is AMAZING (to me).

Also after reading your last post you are sounding more and more like a troll (not that you are) when you say bb os5 is supeeeerrbbb, even die hard blackberry fans hate that os.

13. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I'm not a collective my friend, I am an individual, and I likes it, kapiche? :D

I am sure that I shall be outnumbered by iPhone fans on an Apple forum - it's not a poll or a competition, I was just bored and wanted to see what people think, so don't take the internet TOO seriously - it's just a bit of fun, light hearted discussion, and the outcome won't affect your life or the spinning of the earth on it's axis, and there's still a world outside your computer, with issues that really matter. :D

I'm signing out of this - I'll let you all leave your opinions - that's what's great about the net, but the analogy regarding armpits & opinions will be useful when reading some of what will inevitably ensue...

14. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Than what is the point of this thread, to tell us you like your blackberry and your iphone? Your on a iPhone forum, not blackberry.

15. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

I really like my BB (curve) for its communication abilities (BBM, Email and Phone) but dislike its entertainment abilities.

I think the perfect combo is a BB and an iPod Touch. Then you get all the entertainment with the functionality of the BB.

I'm really looking forward to the new Torch coming out (in Sept for Canadians) because I'm looking to upgrade and it may be the perfect phone if the browser is better and the touch screen is okay.

If not I'm switching to the new Bold.

16. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I work in IT and seem to spend a large part of my time sorting out BB issues. Workers also use other phones like the iPhone, Nokia and Sony smart phones and Android ones too, and once they are setup they just work (or at least people don't call me about them). So I will admit I really don't like BBs.

But from my experience, if you want a phone that you are only ever going to text, email and make calls on, then get a blackberry. If you want to do more with your phone, get an iPhone (or an Android phone).

17. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

My wife has a BB Bold 9700, I have an iPhone 4 (previously iPhone 3G since Canadian launch).

I don't think I could seriously say I would EVER switch.

The only benefit I see to the BB is RIM's e-mail network and integration with outlook. Sure the iPhone does support Microsoft exchange but I have yet to see it configured as well as a blackberry can be.

I would NEVER begin to compare or make statements about the 9700's camera in terms of the pictures being "awesome". The picture quality is equal to a 3G...

18. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

I've had two blackberries and they were both nice, but I much prefer the iphone.

19. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

iPhone over my 8820. While the 8820 was ok for checking my work email, the iPhone gives me more than just an email checker/BB Chat machine. Never was a big fan of the physical keyboard and (after being thoroughly spoiled by Retina Display) the screens on the BB's are just way to small to do anything except look at text. That and I hated the scrolling button/nub that the BB's had. Prefer the scrolling feature in iPhone.

20. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

21. wwjbd24 macrumors member

I freaking loved my 9650, what an efficient machine. However I'm not in the corporate world and find I want more from a phone including the entertainment features. Having 2 devices would be a complete pain which is why I switched, and I'm happy with it.

That blackberry keyboard though... I loved it

22. JaSuS macrumors regular

JaSuS

.......st8 Iphone

.....I've never owner a BB....I'm in love with my :apple:iphone!

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I have a Blackberry 9700 that sits in my drawer. It does nothing better than my iPhone, and is quite bad at many things (browsing the internet, taking pictures, playing music). I will never go back.

24. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I had the BB 9700, and ended up trading it in for the iPhone 3GS. Not only did the 9700 feel cheap, but the web browsing on it was the worst experience. The iPhone Browser is the best that I've used.

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have to carry a bb for work, and I have a personal iphone. The bb is horrible. Now, I grant you, it's a 2007 curve, but my goodness is it bad. Slow UI, lags horribly with more than one or two things open, tiny keys are hard to press, low res screen that dust keeps getting under, useless browser, useless for multimedia. Even the email/contacts/calendar are not very good. They're so dated and clunky and html email doesn't render correctly. Oh, and bbm as a selling point? Are you kidding me? Why would I want a chat client that only works with one kind of phone?

BUT, my firm's IT department would rather support bb than iphone, so there you go.

/rant
    :)