iPhone or Bold, what do you think?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbjay, Dec 15, 2008.

1. bbjay macrumors newbie

I have my opinion. I just bought a BB Bold, did I buy the right phone for a business user? Be specific in your reasons and mention features. This is not meant to antagonize iPhone loyalists; my fiance and I picked out an iPhone for her because we thought it was her best option, so I do hold the iPhone in high regard.

2. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Be aware that you will get many biased answers

3. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

you're asking this question on an iPhone message board?

iPhone obviously.

4. bbjay thread starter macrumors newbie

the point is not where the question is being posed. It's about pros and cons from what should be objective people. Or am I being naive?

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

6. TheMBC macrumors 6502

From what I hear the BB does better email than any other phone, so I'd expect that you made the right choice.

7. bbjay thread starter macrumors newbie

There's no reason to be paranoid. I simply want honest, and hopefully objective opinions. I realize, given the forum, that I will receive many biased responses. What I hope to get is feedback from those who aren't just fanboys for BlackBerries or iPhones. I hope to hear from those who are willing to consider that while the iPhone might be the better choice for many people, there is life outside of the Apple world.

8. Hoagie52 macrumors member

If I was to but a phone for work and going to be useing the keyboard a ton for email I would get the bold.

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You wanted a business phone and that is what you got. You'll be very happy with it.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

11. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I don't know about that. I prefer my iPhone email to the blackberry, easier to read and reply to.

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Just FYI, this is about the third thread I've seen recently comparing the Bold and iPhone. You might want to read those ones first.

13. aluren macrumors 65816

coming from a blackberry curve, i do miss some things, notably the physical keyboard and copy/paste. however, those two features pales in comparison to what the iphone has to offer, among them the awesome apps and ipod. and also, i did not see that the iphone had impaired my work communication, with the exception of slower email typing...

well what do u think about the bold and iphone since you can readily compare them?

14. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

In my office there is almost a exact 50/50 split between iPhone and Bold users.... I must say if there wasn't a iPhone I would be a Bold user....

It seems like the Bold users really like their Bolds but also like the functionality of the iPhone....

iPhone users seem to say that they really enjoy their iPhones and would only use a Bold as a back up phone or if the iPhone hadn't came out haha

personally i'm happy I went with the iPhone but I think I would still be happy with a Bold as long as the iPhone didn't come out :D

15. jz7410 macrumors member

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Okay, I'm going to take the time and write you a response that anyone can relate to.

The iPhone... flat out works. It's a sleek device and won't let you down. People say since it's just a touch screen and no keyboard, it's hard to type emails and long texts. Once you get used to the iPhone keyboard, which takes about 2 weeks to be pretty good at it, you'll type fast. I can say I type extremely fast on my iPhone. The ONLY thing the Bold wins in is obviously what BB is known for, emailing. It's a business phone. The iPhone is a consumer phone, but it's becoming a business phone too.

One huge thing that has changed the way I look at any phone is Safari, the iPhones internet browser. That right there, is simply a reason to get the iPhone. It's quick, it's smooth, it's easy to use, and it works. You can't go wrong with the iPhone at all. And of course, the iPhone doesn't have MMS, Copy / Paste, Flash, ETC, which we all know when we get that, there will always be something else to complain about from the complainers.

Get the iPhone, you'll regret it if you don't. I know don't know how many people I know who are "dumb" enough not to listen to me, get another phone and it sucks. Then they get the iPhone, and they're in aww.

17. bbjay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Jellis,

However, I was asking about the Bold, not the Storm. I agree with the review that the iPhone is better than the Storm in all but two things, total features, and camera. Other than that the Storm's clunky touchscreen failed to impress me.

18. bbjay thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know nickspohn, I'm finding more an more features that the Bold equals or best the iPhone on, with the notable exceptions of YouTube and coverflow (the bold uses an interface almost exactly like the iPod Classic). I've been playing with my fiance's iPhone and I can't find voice dialing, is it there and I'm missing it?

I'm not trying to argue or bash the iPhone as inferior. I'm just trying to put it all together in my mind and find assurance that I got the right device before my 30 day trial period runs out.

19. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

You have to download it from the app store, it's called, Say Who?

20. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I think its been stated before that it all depends on what you need your phone for. If you need more features and service regarding email and if you need better options for business documents, spreadsheets, etc. you would probably do better with the Bold.

Even if you are a business user but dont need too many email features, can make do with the minimal iPhone documents apps, enjoy your music/media/entertainment and better internet browsing, then the iphone would be better.

Just decide what you want your phone to do and you'll have your choice.

21. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It depends. The iPhone isn't feature-rich as the other smart phones. The key is that it works and it's speedy (at least as of 2.2). That's why you're finding more features on the Blackberry. The other smart phones no doubt have more features. It's just how those features work. Safari's speed can best Opera Mobile's (depending on the phone) and definitely any mobile browser out there (SkyFire doesn't count). The interface for the iPhone also is a lot easier to read and use because it's very consistent, simple, and uncluttered. Of course java and flash don't exist on there yet, but I'm sure they're working on it...when the ability to install applications came, everything was super slow and would crash. Apple probably doesn't want that to happen (and knowing flash...it can happen) so they're making sure it's polished when it comes out.

But don't get me wrong. The Blackberry currently is still the best business phone. You won't be disappointed if you've done your research.

Voice dialing is not native. You'll have to get an application (free) from AppStore in order to do something that's close to it.

22. bbjay thread starter macrumors newbie

The apps that are becoming available for the Bold are really cool, some very professionally oriented, others more for the personal use arena. Also, you should know that the Bold syncs with iTunes and functions just like an iPod Classic.

23. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

My friend has a bold and I have a iPhone 3g.....he's sick to the stomach after using mine and I'm extremely happy after using his :)

24. bbjay thread starter macrumors newbie

Before we get to deep into all of this, I want to thank all of you who have posted things for me to consider. I really appreciate your candor and the respect that you have treated me with. I'm looking forward to reading more and more posts.

One thing I'll reiterate, I believe that Apple will post more OS updates that will continually make the iPhone better which makes me very happy in terms of what it can do for my fiance, but also in giving me better and better options down the road.