Iphone order on hold, att useless... So bummed out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lionqueen, Oct 12, 2011.

1. lionqueen macrumors 6502

If it wasn't bumming me out so much, I'd laugh at how ridiculous it all is. And before anyone starts it, no, I don't need the phone, no, it's not an organ. But I've had a pretty heavy last few months, and I was really looking forward to getting my phone this friday-just the thought of it cheered me up. The phone is not my only source of hapiness, obvs-i have a fiance, family, a job, hobbies. But i love tech. I was soo excited to get my phone, especially after the crappy half-year I've had.

Anyway, here is what happened when I ordered my phone. If anyone experienced similar, I'd like to know about it.

Oct 7: I stay up to order the phone. I try Apple's site and ATT's site with no luck, then try the Apple store app on my iphone. Several times I get to various stages only to be told there's an error, but once I get all the way through to putting my cc details in. I never get a confirmation on the app screen though.

40 mins in, I check my email and there's an order confirmation from Apple. Great!, I think. My order went through!

I continue to check my order status during the weekend, but by Sunday night/Monday am it becomes obvious that pretty much everyone elses order has gone to prepared for shipping. I keep checking and at one point mine goes to preparing for shipping, but strangely, when I look an hour later, it's back to processing.

Monday morning: I call Apple. Apple says everything's fine on their end, but att has a block on the order, that's why it's not going to the next stage.

I call att. Nightmare. An hour on the phone and no one knows anything, they check and check and get a supervisor and check some more, but everything on my account is ok and there's no reason for there to be a hold... except that there is one. Rep promises to find out more and call me back.

A few hours later on monday she calls me back and patches Apple in. An hourlong phone call ensues betwteen us three. Nothing is accomplished. Am told there is a dept in att where the case will be sent, but they dont take phone calls. Talk to an Apple rep named Tom who's pretty nice. Spent a total of probly three hours on the phone. Two or three times when I called back, I had to start over and explain everything all over again.

This morning - get a call from another Apple rep who's extremely nice and promises to get to the bottom of things. He calls att. We have another hour long conference call where we figure nothing out, except this time I get a raging bitch of an att rep and have to tell her not to speak to me that way, that I don't appreciate her tone of voice. She had the worst attitude, ugh. End up getting her supervisor, who was more helpful, said she'd escalate my problem, and send it to - you guessed it - a dept who can handle ethe problem, who dont take phone calls. I point out that I was told the same thing yesterday. She has no record of this. I say ok and thank her, cos she was actually pretty decent, she leaves the call, and the Apple rep commiserates with me about the lack of service from att.

This afternoon: another call with the supernice Apple rep. He expedites my shipping, so that if and when att pulls this mysterious hold, I might still get my phone on friday. He also throws in a free cases, and says "I PROMISE we will have this sorted out and you will get your phone by friday".

So that's the status as of now. I'm going to call att by late tomorrow afternoon if they don't call me, to see what's going on. It's just so incredibly frustrating. Oh - and some reps say it's the terms and conditions email. I never got one, so Apple gave me a link to go to to accept it... except when i put my info in, it says there's no record of my purchase. Even tho the apple rep can see my purchase on his screen, and my cards got a hold on it. Other reps tell me there's no way it's the terms and conditions.

I"m just bummed :/ I was quite looking forward to my phone, for reasons stated above. What I don't understand is, if att has checked everything multiple times and everything's fine, why can't they just take off the hold, so my order can go through? My account is fine, my card is fine, everything is as it should be. But no - why on earth would they make it that simple, eh?

I'd love some good news tomorrow, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

So now I ask... anyone else having this problem?

2. Thomas P. macrumors member

Thomas P.

You ve been through such a disastrously long process and yet you are pending and waiting for the next happening. Well to be true you should have realized this thing earlier that AT&T dont deserve an agreement with iphone like device. Its obvious that people wait for so long for the new release of the iphones and then right at the hot moment, they just deny you the request and dont give you what you ve been waiting for during all this time.

This is seriously disgusting.

I would like to know what happened next. if you can then try to find a number of some higher authority in Apply and call them directly bypassing the HR, I hope this will help you a lil in solving your problem.

3. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I googled around for a phone number of a higher-up, but didn't find much. I have no doubt that there's someone at some level who can just flip a switch and lift the hold, but the problem is getting to that person. :/

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Never mind, saw where your cc had a hold. Sucks but poop happens and seems it's all happening to you.... better you than me!

5. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Read more carefully, "droidrules". My credit card does not have a hold. My card is fine. Att has a hold on the order, for reasons yet unknown.

6. nixon08 macrumors newbie

I can totally commiserate with you.

I'm with Verizon, not AT&T, but I set the alarm for 3 AM on the 7th, and by 3:26 I had my order placed through the Verizon website. I tried using Apple's, but the store was down.

Everything seemed fine. I got my confirmation order within 10 minutes of placing it, and so I began waiting for my shipping notification. I waited, and waited, and waited some more until finally this morning I got sick of waiting and called Verizon.

Verizon rep informs me that my order was dumped for no apparent reason. The best he tell me is that there was some glitch in the system at the time my order was placed. This, after he contacted Verizon's internet orders dept.

"The good news", he tells me, is that we can cancel that order and run it through again, and I'll still get my phone on Friday.

Yeeeeah, not the case. After I got off the phone with him I checked for the confirmation and sure enough, the shipping date was October 28th.

So I called back, got a different and slightly angrier CS rep who apologized for the misinformation I was given. She proceeded to explain (as if I needed her to) that because I canceled my order, I had lost my place in line and would have to hop to the back.

I tried explaining to her that I did not cancel my order, they did. I told her that they F'd it up and then told me cancelling it was the only way to fix the hang up. Then I realized there was no point.

The first rep ended up calling me back an hour later, apologizing for not realizing the cancellation would lose me my spot in line and negate my Oct. 14th delivery. he offered to send me a free accessory of $50 value, and I accepted...the altec lansing dock n' play mini...but trust me I'd much prefer the iPhone delvered on Friday.

Now I'm stuck waiting until the 28th, and here I was SO EXCITED to receive my very first iPhone (or smart phone for that matter) in the mail on Friday.

It also sucks that I decided not to go into work on the 7th because I'm a tard and didn't go back to sleep after my order was placed. I ended up passing out in my cheerios and decided to sleep in. So glad I went through all of that only to wait an additional 2 weeks for my delivery.

:(

7. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Next steps:

1) Figure out how much you make an hour
    2) Calculate that by how many hours you've spent on the phone
    3) Write a beautiful letter to AT&T (well, email it, you want this to go through ASAP) explaining the costs to you and your well-being (throw in the "bitter few months, looking forward to this, you blew it, etc" for good charm)
    4) Pack that thing up in an email and drop it in every AT&T person's inbox you can get to
    5) Keep calling everyone until you get some money out of this

I'm sorry, but I'm against companies like this. It's really not that hard to unclick a computer box. AT&T generally hasn't screwed me over and while I do get calls dropped once in awhile, who cared, it's technology, things fail. But THIS crap is unacceptable. They're giving you the corporate run-around and wasting your precious time. None of them care because they get paid to do nothing it sounds like. An hour or two on the phone, fine, they're providing a service but they're not god. But multiple hours? And frustration? Eff them. :cool:

Be nice, but firm, about giving them the middle finger, and you will probably be rewarded. You're paying for a phone and a brand new contract..they give out credits like candy to whiners who are still months out from end of contract, they're a crap company if they don't help you.

Lastly, write Apple an email and give them the name of every rep you've talked to. Apple has been trying to do you right, and people like that deserve a thanks. :)
    EDIT: oh and keep calling Apple. I bet the second that Hold is lifted, they'll walk that thing to you from Cupertino. Or teleport it..I bet they know how...

8. Effusion01 macrumors member

Was in exact same situation, spend hours on the phone with att and apple and multiple supervisors to tackle the issue. Was told all is fine and we will work to sorting it out, hold is on att side, only just an hour after the last conversation with an apple supervisor who guaranteed all is fine and the order has no issues received an email of cancellation from apple. Just could not believe it, anyways long story short had to reorder with a date of 1-2 weeks now, with apple only telling me they will try their best. So the whole fiasco was a waste of time. Short answer was reorder.

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

You may want to consider canceling the preorder and getting in line.

While this does not immediately sound fun, it actually may be a way to get some enjoyment back out of the process.

People in line are fun to talk to, it's almost like a party for them. When you get your phone in the morning, everyone in the store is stoked and it just makes you feel good.

May be the best option for getting the most fun out of it after such a crappy experience...

But I'm with you, AT&T blows. And once the iPhone has LTE, you can bet Verizon's getting my business instead.

10. Effusion01 macrumors member

When you cancel the preorder, make sure your eligibility moves back with att, as when you preordered it already went forward, otherwise you will still be in the same situation as att will not allow u to upgrade

11. DroidRules macrumors 65816

When I said hold I meant a hold for the funds. If you don't have a hold on it then you don't have an order. When they charge your card the put the funds on hold on your account. No hold, no phone.

12. gsvar2004 macrumors member

i tried just a second ago to cancel my preorder to go stand in line.

no go. they say that since the phone is already in "processing" no cancels can be made.

the only option was to let the phone ship and refuse shipment then they would reverse the upgrade.

on a brighter note the lady at ATT i talked to said that from what she was hearing it would not be 21-28 days to ship and they had to tell people that as a "worst case" she also claimed it would be alot sooner than that.

13. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Ugh, it really sucks, doesn't it? What's even more annoying is that they never seem to want to admit to the company or rep making mistakes. I hope you get your phone as soon as possible. I'm glad you got a freebie out of it, although like you, I don't want a freebie either, I just want my phone on the original ship date.

Thanks... yeah, the last rep I talked to at Apple (a few times now actually) was really nice. If it's not sorted later today (it's 2 am thurs morning here in Cali) then att are going to compensate me in some way. I don't care - myself and my fiance have been att customers for 15 years, and we deserve better than this, as do all their customers, come to think of it.

I do believe Apple will try their best once att sorts it out. Will update this thread later today - would appreciate some fingers crossed for me. Thanks to everyone who replied :)

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

I would not want to wait in line only to find that I cannot buy in the store because of an ATT block.

You need to get to the bottom of the issue. Sorry to say this but I will bet that you will find the issues has to do with something you did when ordering. Address mismatch, billing address issue. Something.

Do you even see a preauth on your charge card? Did it get that far?

15. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, there was a hold on the funds for the exact amount of the phone (362 something), but it's fallen off now :/ Shipping and billing addys are the same. I'm an authorized user on my fiance's account. My bill wasn't past due, my card had enough money on it... trust me, I've been going over and over it trying to figure out what happened.

Some reps have said it's the terms and conditions thing, although one Apple rep told me that I accepted them. When I call Apple they tell me that all is well on their side of things and it's an att block. Apple can see my order and everything is fine. However - when I go to Apple's website to accept the terms and conditions, and put in my email addy and web order number, it comes back as "order cannot be found". Apple still doesn't know why. That may be the issue, but I can't accept the damn terms because it can't find my order, ect ect ad infinitum....

I meant to say in my last post btw, that cancelling and going to the Apple store is a possibility - I waited in line for the ipad 2 last year, I'm not averse to it. The only thing is, I don't know how long it takes for eligibility to reset - I don't want to get down there and my upgrade isn't available.

Few more hours and I'm going to call att and Apple and see what's up.

16. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen at my store. Even if the customer has a crazy past due balance or just started and brand new contact . They just give them credits or make it so they can get a new phone in store. For no reason at all and then when a customer actually needs help they don't do jack ish. I actually had 1 lady get a brand new phone every 3 weeks just because she would call and work the system.

17. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

oh wow, what a bummer for both of you guys! How annoying!..

I have to say, that I ordered my phone through Apple, because I trust them more than at&t, and I prefer not to have to deal with at&t any more than absolutely necessary. The only reason I'm still with them is because I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan.

18. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

take the money and buy some sex you will be just as happy and the novelty of new sex would last just as long as it would be with the phone

19. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Sorry you're going through this :( Trust me, I understand what you mean about having a rough year and sometimes just having something to look forward to can make a big difference.

I don't think I would cancel the order and go wait in line. I think it takes a while for your eligibility to reset. Plus, even if your eligibility does reset in time, I'd be afraid that you'd run into the same problem trying to do it in the store. And then you'd be even more frustrated because you'd have waited in line for a long time and still gotten nothing out of it.

Seriously, though, I would give AT&T a LOT of grief about this. Write letters, do what you need to do. The least they should do is give you a credit on your bill once this finally gets sorted out. I think they owe you for all the grief they've put you through, and I wouldn't just let them forget about it. Good luck...I hope you get everything sorted out!

20. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

so the outcome of the story is.... my order was cancelled by Apple today. They tried to resubmit it to att, att denied it again, and it was cancelled again. I called att and they mumbled somethng about terms and conditions, hadn't heard back from the dept supposedly working on my problem, and were basically utterly useless. THere's more, but what's the point, really? att royally effed me over, and Apple (by not letting me find my order on their damn terms and conditions page even tho they could see it in their system) didn't treat me too great either, although I got a couple nice reps. Also, when I spoke to apple managers, I did get the impression they cared a bit more than att, who just plainly didn't give an eff.

Anyway, the upside is I have my upgrade back, so it looks like I'll be lining up tomorrow - well, later tonight, actually. Yay.

21. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

sucks dude sorry.

22. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, and thanks to sweetbrat too. I think I"m over it though -while it was going on I was pretty pissed, but at least now I have my upgrade back and have a chance at getting it by waiting in line. I lined up for the iPad 2 this spring, it wasn't too bad - I'll just bring my iPad and iPhone and a blanket and chill out.

23. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

One more update, just in case it helps anyone in the future-i was called back by Apple a bit ago- they finally figure out the problem-thebilling info must match exactly. My fiance is the prime account holder on att. I'm the 2nd line, and eve though i'm fully authorized to make changes to the account, it didntmatter. I ordered the phone from apple using my name- e ven thomy fiance's addy is the same as mine, it was the name difference that tripped it up.

So just remember-if you're a 2nd line buying fromApple, don't use your name, use the name on the att billing statement, even if you're added as an athorized user and you live together and have the same address.

Now if you'll excuse me, l'm gonna head down to my local Apple store and see if there's a line :)

24. melman101 macrumors 68030

Well, I'm married and I don't have the same name as my wife's name on the account, and they let me order it under my name. Maybe it's different cause we have the same last name now. Not sure.

25. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Dude I wish I had come on this thread earlier, I would have asked if the billing address had matched. For Att this throws up red flags when billing addresses don't match. They cancel the order and send you in the stores. There was a lot of fraud going on some years back. If you get up early and get in line you probably will get one. Lets just say hundreds are arriving at retail stores and Apple stores will get thousands. Trust me seen them with my own eyes...

Attached Files: