iPhone OS 2.0 performance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Snips, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Snips macrumors regular

Hi,

I've heard mention that the iPhone OS 1.2/2.0 Beta has sluggish performance (worse UI responsiveness) compared to the 1.1.x releases.

The perceived performance of the iPhone is absolutely key, and regressions would suck.

For those with access to 1.2/2.0 (particularly the latest build), do you notice degradation in performance?

I have to assume that any performance regression would be addressed prior to the June release, though it would be 'interesting' if performance degradation was a consequence of making the platform secure (i.e. jumping through security hoops hits performance).

Cheers,
    Snips

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

keep in mind that it is a beta and that they will work out all the kinks by june
    i doubt there will be a drop in responsiveness as they are not doing that much to the UI

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Remember that 1.2.0 is in Beta stage right now. Apple has released a new seed for developers to play with, which supposedly is more unstable.

4. mbpc2d.user macrumors newbie

Beta 3 is much more stable. But it still is a little buggy, parts of the UI do lag, but not bad and its only on occasion. It is definitely still a beta, but with the improvement they made between beta 2 and beta 3 in just 11 days, I have no doubt that they will have everything worked out for the release.

Edit:
    I still don't know why everyone keeps calling it 1.2.0, Apple is calling it 2.0 beta 1 was 1.2.0 then beta 2 and 3 are 2.0. Thats 3 of 4 times its been officially called 2.0. Just sayin.

5. guruji macrumors member

once released, will i be forced by itunes to update the firmware on my phone? when i try to sync it. i want to wait a month before updating to ver.2

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think you can just keep denying it.....

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple can't force you to update to 1.2.0. The end-user decides whether to take advantage of the updates Apple provides through iTunes. Of coarse in a near future you will have to update because you will be far behind software wise that not everything will support iPhone unless its the latest software, so in a sense they don't force you, they will lead you to do it yourself.