Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
The graphics are smooth in 2.2.1 like the iPhone 3GS. That's why I like it. It feels like I'm using an iPhone 3GS with how silky the animations are.

I don't seen any issues with animations using my 3G on 3.0.1... But if you like it then so be it. :D

jbs1077

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
I've got a brand new iPhone 3GS factory unlocked I purchased from Australia and it's running OS 3.01. I've been wanting to upgrade since OS 3.1 but due to several issues/bugs that many experienced I've decided to wait. I don't intend to jailbreak mine. I don't have any issues with my phone in its current state but since some users have reported better battery performance upon upgrading theirs I'm tempted to upgrade. But, reading up this thread and other forums I noticed a small number of users are experiencing problems with 3.12. Should I upgrade mine?

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
My 3gs no longer lists the carrier at the top. It does not list a carrier in the settngs either but works and has no signal issues.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
That's odd. Are you jailbroken? Can you give us a screen shot?

yes jailbroken and unlocked, using Iowa wireless (used to say "i wireless"). My wife's 3G is still on 3.0, I was going to upgrade it next. I wouldnt mind not having the carrier at the top for 95% of the time, but when we venture out of Iowa our phones jump between T-mobile and AT&T networks depending on whatever deal the carriers have for the area we travel through. In large cities we can switch which network to connect to which is very nice. Usually at home here I can see i wireless and AT&T towers in the settings.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.PNG
    IMG_0241.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 61

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've got a brand new iPhone 3GS factory unlocked I purchased from Australia and it's running OS 3.01. I've been wanting to upgrade since OS 3.1 but due to several issues/bugs that many experienced I've decided to wait. I don't intend to jailbreak mine. I don't have any issues with my phone in its current state but since some users have reported better battery performance upon upgrading theirs I'm tempted to upgrade. But, reading up this thread and other forums I noticed a small number of users are experiencing problems with 3.12. Should I upgrade mine?

My factory unlocked iPhone here in Aus has been ROCK. SOLID. with 3.1.2, 3.1 was terrible but the new software is tops.

jbs1077

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
What kind of bugs are you experiencing? I would recommend updating, but that's solely based off of the information i've compiled within this thread.

I think you may have misread my post. I'm still on 3.01 since I bought them and I've decided not to upgrade to 3.1 coz there were a lot of reported issues. Now, I'm thinking of upgrading to 3.12 but, again, some have reported problems too so I'm in limbo here.

The reason I've been extra cautious about upgrading is because I bought my phone in Australia while on a trip there but I dont live there. I live in Indonesia and I dont think :apple: international warranty covers my phone here, and I dont think it'd make sense to fly down under just to fix my phone in case I brick this phone. :D

In case you're wondering why I didnt buy mine in Indonesia, that's because 3GS is not officially sold here yet and black market importers mark up the price like crazy (US$900 for 16GB).

My factory unlocked iPhone here in Aus has been ROCK. SOLID. with 3.1.2, 3.1 was terrible but the new software is tops.

Yeah, heard a lot of horror stories about 3.1. Seems like 3.12 isnt so bad despite the problems some faced.

pixelbrat

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
Ellijay, GA
Hi all. I'm new here but wanted to report a bug I have found with 3.1.2 and wanted to see if anyone else has noticed it. I have no AT&T signal at home so my hubby and I keep our phones in airplane mode and rely on WiFi to get our email and IM alerts. Since upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1.2 on our 3gs's we noticed that we lose WiFi signal when the phone goes into sleep. This prevents any alerts from coming through. When we push the home button to wake it all we see in the signal area is the airplane but no WiFi. After a brief second or 2 WiFi comes back on and alerts will then come through. This is very annoying and makes the phone useless to me at home. Has anyone else noticed this?

Our 3gs's are only a week old and are not jailbroken.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Hi all. I'm new here but wanted to report a bug I have found with 3.1.2 and wanted to see if anyone else has noticed it. I have no AT&T signal at home so my hubby and I keep our phones in airplane mode and rely on WiFi to get our email and IM alerts. Since upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1.2 on our 3gs's we noticed that we lose WiFi signal when the phone goes into sleep. This prevents any alerts from coming through. When we push the home button to wake it all we see in the signal area is the airplane but no WiFi. After a brief second or 2 WiFi comes back on and alerts will then come through. This is very annoying and makes the phone useless to me at home. Has anyone else noticed this?

same here. Once it wakes up, it takes 30 secs to get wifi again. Very annoying. It has been like that for as long as I remember. It's to save battery life. Plus most people are connected the the data network from their Cartier, so it would be. Big issue. It is for me as I don't use att for data on pre paid.

jbs1077

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
Has Apple always been like this with software updates? It seems there's always some problems with new software updates since. I've never experienced this sort of issue using other brands before. Just wondering.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Counts as a bug then. I've had an unlocked phone since 2. Something and there was never a difference in functionality like this

It's a result of upgrading to 3.1.2 without upgrading your carrier file (since you have to unlock). I'm on AT&T and it did the same thing after upgarding using a modded ipsw. I'm guessing you upgraded the same way? It's not a bug from Apple since it's you that decided not to upgrade to their legit version of the software. I'm pretty sure a fix for this has been posted somewhere on the forums, although I don't care enough to actually look for it and make the fix.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
It's a result of upgrading to 3.1.2 without upgrading your carrier file (since you have to unlock). I'm on AT&T and it did the same thing after upgarding using a modded ipsw. I'm guessing you upgraded the same way? It's not a bug from Apple since it's you that decided not to upgrade to their legit version of the software. I'm pretty sure a fix for this has been posted somewhere on the forums, although I don't care enough to actually look for it and make the fix.

That makes sense. I did upgrade using a modded ipsw. My carrier file says 5.0 in the about menu while my wifes 3g on 3.0 says carrier 4.0

which carrier file are you using? I hope it's cosmetic only and will still allow network switching

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
That makes sense. I did upgrade using a modded ipsw. My carrier file says 5.0 in the about menu while my wifes 3g on 3.0 says carrier 4.0

which carrier file are you using? I hope it's cosmetic only and will still allow network switching

I'm on 5.5, but I don't think it matters what carrier file you have. As long as you didn't upgrade your carrier file (which was included in the official 3.1.2 release), your carrier logo will not display. Search around here, I'm almost positive somebody posted a fix to this if it's bothering you.

Edit: I'm feeling nice this morning... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/798473/

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
I'm on 5.5, but I don't think it matters what carrier file you have. As long as you didn't upgrade your carrier file (which was included in the official 3.1.2 release), your carrier logo will not display. Search around here, I'm almost positive somebody posted a fix to this if it's bothering you.

Ok...I dont care about network logo that much, so long as ability for phone to roam on other networks is not killed. Thanks I had went and found that thread already. Thats a workaround to cosmetically display the network logo.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC

same here. Once it wakes up, it takes 30 secs to get wifi again. Very annoying. It has been like that for as long as I remember. It's to save battery life. Plus most people are connected the the data network from their Cartier, so it would be. Big issue. It is for me as I don't use att for data on pre paid.

Yes, this is a built in feature on the iPhones to save battery life. I do not know of a fix without jailbreaking your phone. However, if you do decide to jailbreak your phone, there is an app on Cydia called Insomnia that will stay connected to your WiFi even when your phone goes to sleep. I think that is just about your only choice if you want to stay connected to WiFi at all times.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Yes, this is a built in feature on the iPhones to save battery life. I do not know of a fix without jailbreaking your phone. However, if you do decide to jailbreak your phone, there is an app on Cydia called Insomnia that will stay connected to your WiFi even when your phone goes to sleep. I think that is just about your only choice if you want to stay connected to WiFi at all times.

Actually... Insomnia just prevents the phone from going to sleep. So it does a little more than keep WiFi enabled. Your battery will drain much faster with Insomnia running.

pixelbrat

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
Ellijay, GA
Yes, this is a built in feature on the iPhones to save battery life. <snip>

Looks like you're right. I just got off the phone with Apple Support and they confirmed it. Bummer. Thanks for your response on this. Anyone know if this was new for 3.1.2? When my phone was at 3.0 I don't remember it doing this but it's possible I just missed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.