iPhone OS 4.0 Wishlist... [please read Apple]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darnovo, Sep 28, 2009.

1. darnovo macrumors regular

I know it is a little early... but with Apple most likely working on it and the iPhone 2010 on the drawing boards... it might be a good idea to start brainstorming and maybe Apple will recognize some of the generalized ideas of it's customer's and influence the process if even a minute amount.

1.) I would like to see themes be a number one advancement. Everybody loves to customize their stuff and this is no different. Plus think of the App Store benefits. You can have developers making themes and selling them for .99 or free... or maybe some really in depth ones for a upwards of 1-3 dollars. I know that I would make a new theme every month or so and put it on the App Store to see the kinda sales/feedback i'd get. Plus it would be 1 step closer to making jailbreaking obsolete.

2.) Springboard 2.0... a complete overhaul of the desktop on the iPhone that is more inviting to multi-tasking and information display. More info on the desktop screen would be choice.... like widgets etc... for instance, instead of a stock apps... maybe just give the option of having a stock ticker on the desktop that scrolls by for basic stocks and if a user wants a stock app they can download something more advanced from the App Store. Which is something that I think Apple should pay attention to... the developers out there are VERY creative and intelligent. And a lot of their Appls give the same experience and A LOT more than the basic apps on the iPhone (aka the weather app and the weather channel app) concentrate on the hardware and experience of the phone and leave some of the creativity to developers...which means OPEN it up to developers to replace the stock apps. I want a better SMS, one that lets you set up groups so that you can just text "Work Buddies" instead of adding each individual name

3.) background processing for EVERY SINGLE APP... if the user wants a 2 hour battery life by running 20 apps at once, that is THEIR problem, not yours... YOU BUILT A REVOLUTIONARY PHONE that is changing the world today. People know this and will support you for it, but give us the ability to use the Phone the way we chose... please?

4.) add the option on the nickname column in the address book to display that name for an incoming or outgoing call... I like to add people in my phone under their proper names... like my moms full name but would rather it say "mom" when she calls.

5.) this just continues with giving us control over the look and feel of our phone. I currently have an entire page dedicated to icons I don't want to see... I would not like to have that page at all plz

6.) copy and paste... oh wait.... nvm ;)

7.) I can't think of stuff right now and I will let the masses chime in but for number 7 I will just say... give us a "one more thing" that is something nobody will think of....

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I stopped reading right there. Yes it is too early.:rolleyes:

3. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

+1. It's a fat chance any decision-maker at Apple would read this forum, let alone take notes.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You never know...

5. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If I worked in an extremely popular company I would be the guy to read all the fan forums.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

This is a fan forum? Could have fooled me.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I bet many people here that work at an Apple Store (or even HQ) read these forums. Hell, Apple even reads the iPhone Dev-Team's blog; you know why.

So yes, I think Apple does read these forums. They just won't answer or respond.

8. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

They may, but I still believe you have a much better chance of having your voice heard if you submit it to Apple's own feedback site as xbuddycorex showed us.

9. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I just want that "wow" factor..it's starting to wear off. :(

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

An honest voice can be heard in the noisiest crowds.

11. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

OTOH, if you can choose a quieter world, why not? :)

Quite honestly, I am rather sick of seeing multiple threads pop up that discuss the "future iPhone," "iPhone 4.0," and what not. At the very least, the admins can merge them into one sticky.

12. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

You save your mum's details on your phone as her full name?

Really?:confused:

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The themes is really big for me. Let me customize my phone already. This is the only reason I jailbroke my phone. I wanted a background picture and to change some of the apps.

The SMS Group function would be sweet. I have a core group of people I text. This would be such a nice feature.

14. matttye macrumors 601

Try using another phone for 5 months and see if you still think that.

I miss my iPhone :D

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They have, but guess what? Those threads always appear because people fail to search.

16. Kelson macrumors member

#1 Wish for iPhone OS 4.0

I wish my iPhone would stop going unresponsive several times per day when the wifi is turned on. I'm tired of using 3G in my house where I have 802.11a/b/g/n.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Trust me, it gets old.

Yeah, it's fun at first but eventually you want to respond and you can't. Just reading eventually gets boring. I don't do it anymore.

18. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Guy, there's something wrong with your phone if it goes in a fakedead just because you are connected to WiFi. Seriously, you should use the warranty while you still have it.

19. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

It's actually a pretty well known issue with 3.1. I don't think it has anything to do with WiFi specifically since mine is doing this and is never on WiFi, but it's a well known problem regardless.

20. iphonetester macrumors member

Some good suggestions - in particular with themes and multitasking. I think Apple is waiting to have a better hardware to run this stuff on. Just look at Palm Pre. Using similar hardware to iPhone it has dismal speed in comparison. Palm went for multitasking way too early - just to rival iPhone. As dual core processors are in the talks, may be the true background processing is coming. In particular, when I say listen to Rhapsody in the car, I would also want to check incoming e-mail or whatever, but that quits my music (bummer) Ipod is great but cannot be compared to service like Rhapsody since it has virtually everything. But again as someone mentioned before: themes multiple screen just add to complexity of using the device. When I played with Pre in the store, and wanted to open a new internet page - it took me sometime to figure out what to click - and I am computer savvy user. Thinking about mainstream user - all this extra stuff just adds to frustration.

Bottom line, I think that what is really missing on iPhone is ability of any app to run in the background. But with hardware advancements this looks possible in the next major update.

21. RandomGuy26 macrumors regular

you know this already exists right ?...if you send an SMS to multiple people.. its saved in the SMS app an SMS to group..and everytime you send a message there.. it goes to the same people.. i understand it'll be confusing for multiple groups.. but for one or two groups.. you can definitely do this..

22. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

But people can't respond to the group (or even know who was included in it). That's one of the major advantages that BBM has over SMS.