Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Are you serious? Os 5 won't be announce till next feb/march time.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Possibly today. The keynote is less than a week away now.

Or we could have seen all the betas for 4.0 or today being the last one. I wonder how many other apps will come as standard with 4.0

- FM radio
- GameCentre (is this an App)
- iChat

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Don't see how I'm the stupid one here. The op should have clarified things in his title. 'iPhone os4.0 beta 5' would be the correct way.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Any chance that it will be GM today ? with less than a week until the announcement of the new iphone i would think the betas should be slowing down.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
Don't see how I'm the stupid one here. The op should have clarified things in his title. 'iPhone os4.0 beta 5' would be the correct way.

Well obviously 5.0 isn't going to be released when 4.0 is still in the works.

And seeing as the last beta release for 4.0 was release 4, it's going to be release 5. And seeing as the software 5.0 isn't released yet, it won't even be release 1.

Anyone know the previous histories of the 3.0 software? Did they have a Beta released a week before the keynote?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

You're the stupid one because he clearly wrote beta 5 not OS 5. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't referring to OS 5 but you saw an opportunity to be a witty Smart-a** only it backfired on you, and now you have to get defensive.:cool:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
You're the stupid one because he clearly wrote beta 5 not OS 5. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't referring to OS 5 but you saw an opportunity to be a witty Smart-a** only it backfired on you, and now you have to get defensive.:cool:

He's not stupid. He just obviously read too fast and replied. However, he should have just replied "my bad" or something to that effect.

I don't see any more betas this close to the WWDC.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
He's not stupid. He just obviously read too fast and replied. However, he should have just replied "my bad" or something to that effect.

Well, its pretty obvious the OP was referring to OS4. I mean, what else could have a beta released today? OSX11?

RobertD63

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
A place
Nope I bet we see GM seed soon though. No way in hell they will release a beta this close to a final release. Plus 4.0 is near polished.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

We might see one depending how late into June they plan on releasing the GM

last year there were 5 Betas for OS 3.0 and the last one was released about a month before GM

3.0:
* Beta 1 (7A238J) was released on 13 March
* Beta 2 (7A259G) was released on 31 March
* Beta 3 (7A280F) was released on 14 April
* Beta 4 (7A300G) was released on 28 April
* Beta 5 (7A312G) was released on 06 May
* 3.0 GM (7A341) was released on 08 June

Cue

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Definitely today. Any time between now and 5 hours time is my guess.

For a GM release, we'll have to go back at iPhone OS 3 GM and when that was released. Even iPhone 2 GM maybe.

I do get problems with Spotify, LastFM and Starbucks app with beta 4. Seems to have something to do with the network activity so I don't think a GM is nearly there. Though 2 weeks it's a substantial development time.

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
Definitely today. Any time between now and 5 hours time is my guess.

For a GM release, we'll have to go back at iPhone OS 3 GM and when that was released. Even iPhone 2 GM maybe.

I do get problems with Spotify, LastFM and Starbucks app with beta 4. Seems to have something to do with the network activity so I don't think a GM is nearly there. Though 2 weeks it's a substantial development time.

I have issues with some apps on my 4.0 beta device as well (of course they work fine on the one still on 3.1.3); but I am more inclined to say that's a problem with the app's compatibility with 4.0, and not 4.0 itself. Not that it's some shortcoming on the developer's part. Remember, you can't even submit an app using the 4.0 SDK yet. Apps aren't required or expected to be fully 4.0 compatible yet, it just happens that *most* still work okay while some don't. I'd say give it some time and you'll find that once 4.0 nears public release and Apple says it's time for developers to make sure their apps are 4.0 compatible, all will be well.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
If we anymore betas, it will be next week after the WWDC show. IIRC, 3.0 has less betas than 2.0, so I expect 4.0 may have less than 3.0. I think we'll see the 4.0 GM out following the keynote, possibly for immediate release if Apple puts the 4G iPhone onsale the following Friday as some have rumored. We won't see another build this late in the same with the launch this close.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
If we anymore betas, it will be next week after the WWDC show. IIRC, 3.0 has less betas than 2.0, so I expect 4.0 may have less than 3.0. I think we'll see the 4.0 GM out following the keynote, possibly for immediate release if Apple puts the 4G iPhone onsale the following Friday as some have rumored. We won't see another build this late in the same with the launch this close.

OS3 had 5 betas.
I believe OS2 had 4 betas, that's all I could find on Google.

With 3.0, it was 8 days between Beta 4 and Beta 5. Then it was 33 days between Beta 5 and GM to devs. I don't think we'll see another beta, just GM on June 7th.

GFSarah

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
North Carolina
Does anyone remember with which beta last year we got the pre-release iTunes that kinda made everything work as it should? Was it with the GM or the beta before that? I'm anxious to get it and see how folders and such will be handled, and I'd think we would get that well before the public release. I would also think that we would see iBooks appear before the GM (unless it's only going to be available on the new iPhone since it is rumored to have a higher resolution screen).

I think we're getting pretty close to the end of betas for 4.0, but the things mentioned above make me think we may see one more before the GM. Of course when, or IF Apple has that planned at all is anyone's guess ...

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

i dunno...there are threads about the iphone 5 and os 10.8 already so yea doesnt surprise me if one did ask about os 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.