Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I have the iPhone 11 Pro Max and I have had almost every iPhone since the beginning, so I know how to enter a passcode. But with this phone, I am constantly missing a number somehow. I almost always have my phone muted so I never noticed this clue until today - the phone makes a click sound as you type in the numbers. It now has me thinking something (my touch screen?) is broken since the number of clicks I hear does not match what appears at the top.

How is it that when I enter my four digit code and I'm confident I entered it correctly and I even hear four clicks as I type that I only see three numbers entered at the top? Could I have a bad touch screen?

My routine is, I enter my code, I hear four clicks but it doesn't unlock because it thinks I've only entered three numbers so I either re-enter the last number of my code and it fails or I delete what was entered and I try again. Annoying if it were only occasional, but it happens often.

I never had a problem typing in my passcode with my previous phones. I checked - the phone only makes a clicking sound if you touch one of the numbers. So if I hear four clicks, it should mean I touched four numbers, but it shows me I only touched three.

What should I do? This has happened since I got the phone when it was first released.

It feels more like a bug than a physical problem with my phone but I haven't seen any posts about this issue.

Lostboyz(II)

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
I have a Pro Max also and have experienced this unlocking bug maybe 2 out of 10. Most of the time I just uses Face ID.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have the iPhone 11 Pro Max and I have had almost every iPhone since the beginning, so I know how to enter a passcode. But with this phone, I am constantly missing a number somehow. I almost always have my phone muted so I never noticed this clue until today - the phone makes a click sound as you type in the numbers. It now has me thinking something (my touch screen?) is broken since the number of clicks I hear does not match what appears at the top.

How is it that when I enter my four digit code and I'm confident I entered it correctly and I even hear four clicks as I type that I only see three numbers entered at the top? Could I have a bad touch screen?

My routine is, I enter my code, I hear four clicks but it doesn't unlock because it thinks I've only entered three numbers so I either re-enter the last number of my code and it fails or I delete what was entered and I try again. Annoying if it were only occasional, but it happens often.

I never had a problem typing in my passcode with my previous phones. I checked - the phone only makes a clicking sound if you touch one of the numbers. So if I hear four clicks, it should mean I touched four numbers, but it shows me I only touched three.

What should I do? This has happened since I got the phone when it was first released.

It feels more like a bug than a physical problem with my phone but I haven't seen any posts about this issue.
When Apple stores open to customers again you should take it in and get them to check out the display.. I know it might take awhile but they're the only ones the can determine if the display is faulty or if the phone needs to be replaced

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yep I see this issue from time to time as well but doesn’t bother me enough to spend time to investigate.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Just to add to the mystery, I noticed the same thing happens with the calculator. I type four numbers hear four clicks but the calculator shows three like it didn’t fully register. Enough to make the sound but not to register the number selected? This might also explain the horrible typing I’ve been experiencing. I just thought maybe it was my vision. But now I’m thinking it might be the screen.

Yes I do use the facial recognition to open my phone but it doesn’t always work thanks to weird angles or obstructions. So I find I type in the code often. And when it fails, it’s annoying cause that means both methods failed.

Reactions: blkjedi954

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
More details. I’m sitting on my couch with my phone on the couch so Face ID doesn’t work from this angle. I use the passcode to open the phone. I just did it. Not only do I hear four clicks, I see the four correct numbers flash as I touch them. But it doesn’t open cause it’s waiting for a fourth digit. This happens all the time, enough to make me post this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.