IPhone plans - taxes and fees in CA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluesteel310, Feb 9, 2010.

1. bluesteel310 macrumors newbie

I am considering switching to an IPhone.

In visiting the local AT&T store, they told me that taxes and fees would amount to 17% which I consider ridiculous. That amounts to $16 on a basic plan with data and text.

Is this accurate? My current TMobile taxes and fees are about $4, which is about 50% tax and 50% junk fees.

Does this sound right to other AT&T California customers?

I live in Los Angeles, but actually reside in the city of West Hollywood, not within LA city limits itself if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

No that is not accurate. Sales tax at 7/11 aren't going to be different then Best Buy; same thing here.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I got my AT&T number when I was in Calif, and I don't pay 17% in taxes... nor sir... much like 6% tops...

BTW, I got mine in the San Bernardino Valley area.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I think you're confusing Taxes with Fees.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/additionalcharges/index.jsp?_requestid=4719

This does not include taxes.

5. bluesteel310 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not confusing them. I'm just trying to get an idea of what the totals for both are with AT&T. On tmobile the total taxes and fees are about $4.

The AT&T website is no help as it has multiple disclaimers. From theo
    other posts it sounds like $6 is pretty standard. Taxes are not optional but fees are just the cell companys way of jacking up rates without posting them. I can figure out the taxes from my tmobile bill but fees are purely disguised rate hikes.

6. noobinator macrumors 601

My bill is exactly 80 dollars. I have the 450 min plan plus 200 txts and Internet. With unlimited txts u r looking at about exactly 100 im guessing.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The Federal Universal Service Fund Fee is something all carriers have to pay to subsidize cheap phone plans and broadband for the needy and elderly. All carriers pass this fee on to their users, but only some of them choose to break it out as a separate line item. By law they cannot charge you more than they actually pay into the USF. Your T-Mo bill may not have listed a separate 14.1% charge, but believe me you were paying it.

8. djjclark macrumors regular

my bill (AT&T Family 550, 3 lines, 1 Iphone)
    $86.75 that includes $1.94 tax and fees

The killer that might be what he is talking about is you will pay sales tax based on the non subsidized price from AT&T not what you actually pay for the phone - so if you buy the $299 version your tax is not ~$30 but more like ~80.

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Sometimes the computer tries to do that but all the sales rep will change it so you only pay the sales tax on what you actually paid.

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

If they do that, then they are (probably unknowingly) breaching California state law.

(Or else the store is taking a hit out of their own bottom line to make up the difference between the amount of tax they will be required to submit to the government, and the amount of tax they passed on to you.)

(ref: http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub120.pdf )

11. smartwaters macrumors newbie

I am too planning on a IPhone plan: $39.99 450 minutes, $29.99 data no texts. Trying to estimate the monthly plan's taxes and fees in California.
    Noobinator, what are your monthly total taxes and misc. fees $s dollars that are added to your plan? Thanks!

12. noobinator macrumors 601

plan = 39.99
    data = 30.00
    texts =5.00
    fees, taxes etc. = 4.36
    total bill = 79.35

This is in the San Gabriel valley.

13. smartwaters macrumors newbie

Thank you!