iPhone Powermat... What a joke.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by renewed, Jun 9, 2010.

1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I don't even get this thing. It is essentially the price of a new iPhone (upgrade eligible) and it claims to "set your iPhone free." How is it free? The Powermat has to be plugged in and the iPhone has to sit on top of it to charge.

Ok.. take this in for a second...

The iPhone HAS TO BE ON TOP OF THE MAT TO CHARGE... what is the difference between plugging it in to a wall or a dock and setting it on a mat? Takes two seconds to unplug it or undock it and you don't have that bulky and ugly charge case on your iPhone.

I'm sorry to say (actually I'm not sorry) but this product is a major fail and an example of a company taking advantage of unreasonable consumers.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Everyone has their point of view. I view it as nice innovation. Wireless charging, who knew?

3. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I'm sorry that you were required to purchase it and your credit card charged without your authorization. That's not fair.

Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

In your opinion maybe.

Personally throwing my iPhone on my bedside at night with the lights off and hearing it charge is great IMHO

5. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Nikolai Tesla :cool:

6. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

Interesting idea, but definately has flaws. Would I buy it? definately not.

Just plug your iPhone into a computer using the given USB cable. Simple.

7. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

It is technically "wireless" but not really. The mat has a wire which is attached to a plug and the iPhone has to be on the mat. It'd be cool if you could walk into your home and it started to charge. That would be wireless.

Hey, I have an opinion on a product and wanted to lay it out. You don't have to comment magpie (name made me laugh, in a good way).

To each their own, which is the beauty of free enterprise.

This is what I'm thinking. And my wallet will thank me and the $150 I left in it for not buying this thing.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

THANK YOU!!! Been thinking this ever since I first saw this. Yeah, some people might like it if they have a bunch of things to charge at once, just throw em down on the mat. But it isn't wireless at all. The connector is just different. Instead of plugging it in to your phone, you lay the phone on it. No big deal in my humble opinion.

9. bwlucas macrumors member

Did you know that this product is actually made by HoMedics? Clever branding and marketing has kept their name off of the device.

But I'd have to agree, pretty useless and over priced. Plus you've got to stick that ugly ass case on your beautiful iPhone. :eek:

10. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

does the iPhone have a cable attached to it? no. it is wireless. i'm not saying i would buy it, but it is still wireless

11. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

I said "technically" it is but if you don't get what I'm implying thus far, there is little hope of further enlightenment.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Life is about choice. Anybody can spend there money however they want.

13. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

+1

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That is true. And this thread is about our boredom and killing time at work talking about ridiculous things like this. At least it is for me....

15. otis123 macrumors 6502a

The only cool inductive charging solution I would use is the pre's touchstone, that power mat solution is crap.

16. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

+1

I like that wireless chaging matt. charge everything all in one spot. This is the way things are going and you will just have to get used to it.

17. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

Everything new and inventive is stupid expensive when it comes out. Is it worth it now? No. Will these lead to amazing things, like the suggestion you said of someone walking into their house and start charging their phone anywhere? Yes. It has to start somewhere....

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You mean really wireless charging? Like leave it in our pockets and have it charging charging? What it gods name will that do to our nuts?

19. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Probably nothing more than an iPhone fetching emails, text messages, calls, push notifications etc... all while putting condom companies slowly out of business.

20. Tobsterius macrumors newbie

My only problem with this product is that the case for the iPhone is an eyesore.

Other than that, I love the idea. Too many devices, too many AC adapters... so little plugs :(

21. jchung macrumors newbie

I wouldn't mind it if not for the case. Would be nice if it was built into all devices... that way I can avoid the ugly case and just toss all devices onto a single mat to charge. Cell phone, ipad, ipod, walkie talkies, cordless drill, cordless string trimmer, cordless leaf blower, Prius...

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

it's not just a different connector, it charges via induction instead of conduction (I could explain the difference, but it'd be long, boring, and no one would read it). Unfortunately, that means it charges slower than through a cable.

It's an awesome idea IMO, but i'm fairly certain that soon enough, chargers such as this will be available for the same price as standard chargers are now.

True wireless charging is coming sooner than you think...I believe there is already a TV set for release soon that draws its power completely wirelessly. It's entirely possible, and as soon as it gets minimized and becomes affordable, we will have it in our handheld electronics. The future is gonna be great

23. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

that comment about the prius made me think of how cool an electric car that would start charging instantly when you pulled it into the garage...

24. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Like all new ideas, they have to start somewhere. This will evolve into better and better products.

25. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

I would agree that this technology has great potential but in it's
    present form is too bulky and ugly to be a practical alternative.

The powermat case for the iPhone is way too big.
    Once they make it about the same size as a regular
    case and decrease the cost I think it will be a solid product.