iPhone Pro (as opposed to "Nano")

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Terrador, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Terrador macrumors regular

The iPhone is already a little less featured than some of the newer smartphones out there (especially in areas like camera quality and the ability to send picture message). Use the HTC phones as an example.

The switch from an aluminum casing to plastic made me think of the relationship between the MacBook's and MacBook Pro's (early 2008 at least), where one line was plastic and the other aluminum.

So put 2 and 2 together...iPhone Pro, perhaps? Maybe in July? I forsee this:

iPhone Pro
    - 7.2 Megapixel Camera
    - Video recording capabilities
    - Picture messaging
    - Standalone video editor (very simple/stripped down)
    - Faster processor allowing for more than one application to run simultaneously
    - Includes some sort of upgraded headset
    - Upgraded, and possibly even removable battery
    - Direct connect to Apple LED display via 32-pin (iPod) <-> DisplayPort adapter (for those home video/slideshow freaks)
    - Ethernet connection via 32-pin <-> Ethernet adapter in the event you need a faster connection than 3G but don't have Wi-Fi
    - Better graphics

Discuss

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Won't happen. They won't put in all those updates in 1 phone at one time.

I do like your Video Out, and Ethernet ideas though!

3. ferrarienzolove macrumors newbie

i do see your point with the plastic and all the upgrades are possible

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

If Apple did include all of these things in the next iPhone then I would be amazed.

5. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

Do you seriously sit around thinking of this stuff?? You do realize that whatever is going to be released (if it is, in fact, going to be released this summer), is probably already set, right? So this is pretty much an exercise in futility, wouldn't you say?

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

7MP Camera - no
    Video recording - maybe
    Faster CPU - not needed for multitasking, more RAM would help
    Removable battery - no
    Direct connect - no. Btw, it's an LCD display with LED backlight, not an LED display
    Ethernet - no. Other phones use the cradle USB to the host for this
    Better Graphics - would be nice, but doubtful

7. Doju macrumors 68000

Full Bluetooth, better camera and processor/RAM upgrades would be more than enough for me.

8. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

All the things you just listed are just minor updates. What is the concept and motive behind a release of the so-called 'iPhone Pro'? And at this time when the economy is going in a downward spiral? iPhone Pro makes NO SENSE in the market especially for the ideas that the thread starter posted.

7.2 Megapixel camera? MP doesn't really matter on phone cameras, what matters is the quality, and the MP has nothing to do with that.

Also, there are already other threads about an iPhone Pro idea. Just for you guys to know, I bet the iPhone Nano still has a chance to get out, and Tim Cooks was just trying to put down rumors. It's like how Steve Jobs tried to put down rumors that an iPod Video was coming out back in 2006.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yep, they'll have the iPhone, iPhone Pro, and iPhone Air this summer.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Omg It Will Have Mms

Omg It Will Have Video Recording !!

the switch to plastic was needed because metal sucks in terms of cell phone reception

err I mean where was I

OMG IT WILL HAVE A UNIBODY CASE !!!!

OMG It will have a removable battery !!

You know all your claims are soooooo believable, do go on where you got your sources from ????????:apple::apple::apple::apple:???

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

12. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

seriously that's a joke, I'm going to sue Apple if it doesn't at least have a 12 megapixel camera with a manual aperture adjust

13. hsk macrumors regular

OMG the battery will last about 33 minutes on 3G....

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

There are about 15 people that post here who think $300 isn't enough to spend on a smart phone, so they want a crapload of features on their phone for about another $200. They have no clue that there is almost zero demand for such a product, which is why Apple won't produce it.

It's become fairly apparent that Apple is going to produce one iPhone with just varying storage capacities. The people who want all of these extras need to buy a MacBook and get really big pockets.

15. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

My early pick for post of the year.

16. Terrador thread starter macrumors regular

This is truth. But at the same time, apple could leave the iPhone line unaltered and create a 10" macbook with a sim-card slot and 3G capabilities. Call it the PhoneBook.

Then make one thats aluminum with 4G; PhoneBook Pro.

17. davyreins macrumors 6502

No way for a removable battery. Probably ever.

18. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Oh yeah to the thread starter,

No wi-fi? That is the craziest idea I ever heard and wi-fi is the thing I depend on for internet since I have no data plan. Lack of wi-fi is clearly a big Achilles heal for a phone.

19. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Oh you, such a kill joy.

20. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I believe Apple chose plastic for the 3G model in order to achieve better signal reception, not for cosmetic reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong.

21. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

He meant Ethernet connection for when you have that, and not Wifi.

He said nothing about getting rid of Wifi capabilities :)

22. gibbz macrumors 68030

Glad to see someone with common sense in this regard. It is rather tiresome to see huge MP cameras listed on people's wish lists. If Apple had a 7.2 MP camera on the phone, it would be 7.2MP taken on crap optics. I would say that manufacturers have definitely succeeded in fooling customers with their megapixel marketing. Maybe more people should read about the megapixel myth before blindly posting large MP hopes.

23. Haephestos macrumors regular

True! Megapixels only mean how big you can blow up the image without blurring. More megapixels do NOT mean better quality. Quality is determined by the image sensor and the lenses.

24. blewyn macrumors member

Video calls please ! Do it and you get my money.....leave it out...you don't

25. gianpan macrumors member

+1

7.2MP camera,ethernet and direct connect is preety much useless..

unless the iphone gets a lot of power where connecting with an Apple LCD will start to have a point but I don't see that happening in the next 3-4 years...
    A faster CPU will probably come but the problem with multi-tasking is RAM, although I am pretty sure other phones which allow multi-tasking have lower RAM, I may be wrong though.