Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
My 5S hasn't done this in the week I've owned it, hasn't happened to my room mates 5S either and he's had it since Sept 20.

Wonder if it's an iOS7 issue or an issue with certain phones?

SsSsSsSsSnake

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
since updating to ios7,it happens occasionally,definitely to do with the new iOS.friends have had the same problem since the update.also i might be working in an app or something and it puts me back on the home screen.

Robhandley

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
Mine started doing it every time I used an iWork app. Since they have been updated it has stopped and works fine. Not had it happen since.

jason330i

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Do you guys have reduce motion turned on or off?

I find that setting it to off reduced my crash/ reboots.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you guys have reduce motion turned on or off?

I find that setting it to off reduced my crash/ reboots.
So having parallax and more animations actually made things more stable somehow?

Odawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
I have a non jailbroken iphone 4s 16G

Just out of warranty.
Restarts like crazy, but occasionally is stable

I'm a newbie here but is anyone keeping an organized record of issues?
I'm an electrical engineer, not software or ITS but there seems to be some recurring themes I'm noticing

I can give lists of Plist codes, things I've tried etc...

I currently have a nude device setup from scratch, no apps etc etc

The thing that keeps jumping to the front of my mind is that there are some aspects which to me look like a hardware fault, but I suspect it could be as a result of the ios7 update.

Consider this information and fill in the gaps oh tech guru's.

The new ios requires a ton more resource.... correct?
therefore the current drain on the battery will be very high... correct?
P=Ie2.R = Heat...Thats I squared R losses (I cant find the symbols in this editor)
There have been numerous reports of devices getting very hot, heat and electronics do not mix ....correct?
Also the funny thing about electronic components is that despite what many people think they are all a little different, fundamentally they are a grown crystal with some impurities introduced... Correct?
Also damage to a component whether due to ESD or heat can produce a sliding scale of effects, damage can be catastrophic, latent or intermittent....Correct?

So the number of variables on just how much heat/current a particular component was hammered with would be huge, based on usage, ambient temperature etc etc

But the damage would be cumulative IMO.

It might even be something as simple as a connection, dry joint or similar.

I have a suspicion that its something to do with the charging and voltage regulation section of the power supply.... I say this as during the few periods of stable operation my battery charge was completely unchanging, 86% for a full day.
I did a hard restart on the device and it showed 2%.

If the processor thinks that there is no juice in the battery it will shut its self down right? It stops servicing the processes, battery demand drops, voltage rises... oh I can start again now!

it continues to flip flop in a crazy way, heating cooling etc etc, further stressing the device.

Any way thats my random thoughts on the subject..

Pick it to bits, shoot me down... I just want to know what the hell has shagged up my phone

Odawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
Ok some info that may be of help...

Panic.plist= is typically considered Hardware fault, its actually a "kernel panic" which I think means its a non recoverable error (bad mojo) this is where most people say pull the plug and take it back to the shop.

However, I'm a little more persistent..
I want to know which part is stuffed!

I downloaded the console utility and looked at what was happening...

Jan 5 20:14:14 s-phone CLTM[14] <Error>: CLTM: Could not get event from temperature service
Jan 5 20:14:14 s-phone CLTM[14] <Error>: CLTM: Could not get value for gas gauge battery
Jan 5 20:14:19 s-phone com.apple.AppleHDQGasGauge[14] <Error>: select: Operation timed out
Jan 5 20:14:20 s-phone CLTM[14] <Error>: CLTM: Could not get event from temperature service
Jan 5 20:14:20 s-phone CLTM[14] <Error>: CLTM: Could not get value for gas gauge battery
Jan 5 20:14:24 s-phone CLTM[14] <Error>: CLTM: Could not get event from temperature service
Jan 5 20:14:24 s-phone CLTM[14] <Error>: CLTM: Could not get value for gas gauge battery
Jan 5 20:14:29 s-phone CLTM[14] <Error>: CLTM: Could not get event from temperature service
Jan 5 20:14:29 s-phone CLTM[14] <Error>: CLTM: Could not get value for gas gauge battery

Once you start to research about this specific region of the phone you will find a whole pile of info, this appears to be a major point of weakness for these puppies. people have had the connection pads pretty much fall apart or fail in any number of ways.

The Batteries have 4 pinouts, +,- one for temp and one for "gas gauge"
I'm guessing that the gas Gauge will detect a rupture.

This would explain why its having issues.
so I'm guessing its either the battery or the connection points, either way its not beyond repair for those who have access to the right gear, or willing to point a repair dude in the right place.

anyway I'm going to try and get a replacement from my supplier, I'm a business customer so I am hoping for a tiny bit of leverage.
But if that fails I'll get the battery replaced and see how it goes.
I wont promise to let you know how I got on, but assume no news is good news.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Peace Out

Odawg

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Ok so I'm 4-5 days in to my new 64gb iPhone 5S and have noticed it keeps restarting itself. On several occasions I have been using it and the screen suddenly turns blue then black then on to apple logo. I have searched the web and have seen a thread on Apple forums about it. Some people say it's a hardware problem and phones need to be replaced. However some people are saying they are experiencing same problem on iPhone 4S and 5 after upgrading to ios7. Closest Apple store is out of town and unlikely to have any iphone 5S's in. Don't want to replace phone if it's just a software bug. So thought I would start a topic on here to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem?

That's called a crash when it restarts it happens a lot with iPhone 5s just get the newest software when ever you can and hope apple fixed it. The blue screen is the same thing except its got a cooler name... Blue screen of death. No need for new phone just new software.

Odawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
Ok I got off my butt and can confirm, replacing battery appears to have sorted my issue.
No battery warnings on Console, No restarts, Charge indication working.

Yay!

So Panic.plist
Crash Reporter Key (I hope this is error code)
0bc058bd48170e3578ac84db4f4391f024674cd

That is one funky large hex address

Hope this helps someone.

Conclusion
if Iphone 4s Restarts, no accurate battery % info, Panic.plist, Console report as per earlier post.
Its a battery issue most likely

Then if you are out of warranty, or just want it going now...replace the battery.

Oh and credit to the dude on youtube who posted this fix for iphoner5 restarting problems (panic.plist solution)

no link sorry but google it

JR5802MC

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
This happened ALOT on my iPhone 5 and still happens a bunch on my 5S. Restoring as new doesnt really help. I believe this to be an iOS 7 issue as my logs usually show low memory which means theres a bug somewhere in iOS7's multitasking code.
On my 5c non of this has been happening and I'm on ios 7. Must be a weird glitch or something

Kmlaw4

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
On my 5c non of this has been happening and I'm on ios 7. Must be a weird glitch or something

This happened on my 5C back in August of this year. I reset it as a new phone and was having no problems until just a few minutes ago, when it rebooted itself again. I have IOS 7 on both my iPhone and iPad 4 and have not had the rebooting issue on my iPad, just on my iPhone.

Mountaineer75

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
iPhone 4S restarts randomly and power switch fix

Yeah Mercenary and Applefan360 had it right at least that's what I did and it was the simplest and cheapest way to go. Unfortunately for me I forgot my setting password but I took a good guess at it and got in to reset my setting. This fixed my problem immediately and my performance picked up as well. I would have a iPhone 5S or 6 by now but I didn't jump on the deal when Apple had the offer going when the 6 and 6 plus came out... waiting for the next deal.:D Oh yeah.. . I'm running iOS 8.2

Also if any of you are having problems with the power switch at the top off the iPhone use the Accessibility - Assistive Touch tool in Settings instead of having the switch repaired which probably no longer works. This will save you another $300 at the :apple: store :p because there are some 30 plus steps to fix it which takes the iPhone completely apart. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.