Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Yes, it should be 39 cents not 0.39.
But 39 cents (Euro cents) is just ridiculous. I have a contract with O2 Germany without monthly fees and I pay 19cents per minute and 19 per SMS.
T-Mobile definitly wants push all of their customers towards the higher priced tariffs.
Well, France isn't far away... Wonder how T-Mobile thinks they can keep this up with a supply of unlocked phones just across the border...

Sälli

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2007
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Just for comparison, this is what I am paying here in Finland. This is a regular plan, and not an iPhone one (as they are not selling it here), but I am still using it with my hacked iPhone:

19,90 € / month
500 minutes (outgoing only, incoming always free)
100 SMS (again outgoing only)

9,80 € / month
unlimited data

ASTRX

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Wow, that's really expensive. I'm swedish but i cant imagine that the rates are all that different in germany?
Up here we pay about €0.08 per minute to all other carriers, and about €1/sms. And we don't have to pay for incoming calls.
Data traffic is pretty expensive though, unless you've got flat rate.
I can't really see 1M europeans buying iPhones at these rates, especially when you have to pay for the actual phone too!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Wow. Suddenly, I feel good about the US's crappy cellular network. I mean, with T-Mobile I can get 1000 minutes for $50/month, with unlimited mobile-mobile calling and nights/weekends free. My AT&T bill isn't that much more. Incoming minutes be damned, I say.

This is Apple screwing up. Orange are probably the most expensive UK network.

For example I can get a Nokia N95 for £89.99 on an 18 month contract at £35/month, which has Unlimited Texts and 600 minutes a month. Now granted I don't get the unlimited data I get with the iPhone, but seeing as I have to use GPRS for the most part (which blows), its not that useful. The Cloud Wireless is only £6.99 a month if I want that as well.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Sorry to be pedantic, but the plural of euro is simply euro, not euros.

40 sms for almost 50 euro is crazy, not to mention the subsequent cost of 19 cent per text.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Now granted I don't get the unlimited data I get with the iPhone, but seeing as I have to use GPRS for the most part (which blows), its not that useful.

I'm sure wheer you are will have EDGE coverage. I was surprised by how many areas will have it. There's a thread on here about it somewhere.

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
But you know that those tariffs probably come from what Apple is collecting on top right. It's Apple that's being greedy here, not necessarily T-Mobile. Still, it completely sucks and pretty much rules out me getting an iPhone anytime soon.

hogprint

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2006
Wisconsin
They also have 6 second billing detail in Germany. That has an effect on the minutes used. I had a mobile in Germany in about 2000 and as I recall a couple hundred minutes was plenty since I didn't pay for incoming and didn't have calls rounded up to the next minute.........i also never had a dropped call or a building/valley I couldn't use my phone in.....

Abraxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
I thought the intend of T-Mobile was to get a better image via the iPhone, but with these rip off tarifs, the German Telekom (incl sisters) proves again that they are the worst and most expensive Telco in GY. I don't think their image will grow but the opposite...
Plus typically the mobile flat from T-Mobile is not a real flat but capped
and the contract will likely run for 24 month.
No way I'm going to buy an iPhone.
:p

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Um....wow and i thought us brits had it bad. 100mins/40sms?...what is this 2001?

Its basically a glorified blackberry only tariff then. Unlimited data but NO VOICE.

DrV

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Northern Europe
Euros

Sorry to be pedantic, but the plural of euro is simply euro, not euros.

Well... not quite. Paragraph 20.7 of the "English style guide" published by the European Commission Directorate-General for Translation:

"Guidelines on the use of the euro, issued via the Secretariat-General, state that the plurals of both ‘euro’ and ‘cent’ are to be written without ‘s’ in English. Do this when amending or referring to legal texts that themselves observe this rule. However, in all other texts, especially documents intended for the general public, use the natural plurals ‘euros’ and ‘cents’."

I know the s-less version is used in Ireland, but that does not make it the only correct choice.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Just to chime in on the American deal. Wow, paying for incoming calls and txts? So if you have no money on your phone then you're basically screwed?

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
It's getting worse, every time I read about it...

I feel very bad. First of all, these prices don't seem too far fetched, if you take a look at T-Mobile prices in general. I really believe them to be the real thing.

Actually, what most people forget, is that WiFi and EDGE-data are included. This is worth about 20-30 Euro, depending on your service provider.

Nevertheless I have to say the following: It's a bloody phone, stupid!

First of all I have to pay big style to get this sucker, and then I am forced into a stupid price structure. Just for people living outside of Germany: We have dozens of different service providers, which all have their special target audience and price.

I for one have a telephone flatrate, costing 35 Euros. I could pay extra for unlimited data (25 Euros), and that would be it. 60 that is for unlimited 3G data and unlimited talking.

Some people only want unlimited talking (just to remind you: it's a phone!), which is available for 20-35 Euros depending on provider.

So, in short, anyone buying this phone in Germany has a lot of money to burn. This is no smart shoppers choice. So I have one word for the iPhone in Germany: Playstation 3!

Nevertheless I believe it will sell - to all those people defining on status symbols. The iPhone will be the new wannabe-rich icon.

P.S.: This means my hopes are getting real high for the 2nd iteration of the phone. It will be 3G, MMS-capable and much more affordable :D:D:D

Yuppi

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2007
For a german contract that is kind of fair. For a mobile data flatrate you pay like 25 EUR and for the phone stuff like 18 EUR at eplus for example.
But what you have to consider is that you can use t-mobile hotspots for free which is a really nice addition as you find them on most places where you sit around bored. Like on Airports and Trainstations.
On Vodafone you would have to pay 49 EUR for soft limited 5GB data. Plus a ridiciolus calling plan.
Plus none of our carriers would make advertisements with "the lowest droprate". The networks here are damn good compared to what I heard about the US.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Don't tell me you Americans have to pay for incoming calls???!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Yep, it's a stupid system IMO, coming from Australia where the caller pays all. It sucks even more when some company cold-calls me trying to sell me something, I end up paying for the call! Not to mention being charged in and out SMS, that's just plain double-dipping...

sho38

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
Well I just checked the T-mobile site in Germany. I can't read everything on the site but as noted on their site. The most popular calling plan as stated is the Relax 100:

http://www.t-mobile.de/calling_plans

100 free minutes included, call all networks for the same price, voice mail access free of charge extra: 0.39 € / min. monthly fee: 28.00 €

This price does not include any SMS.

So in terms of calling plans the germans are used to paying this amount is what I can see.

ooberpongo

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2005
Cologne, Germany
Prices include alle Taxes and fees

Keep in mind, that all prices in Germany include all taxes (federal, state, VAT) and fees (universal service, number etc.)
So if you only phone 100 minutes and make 40 SMS and you are on the small plan, you will only have to pay 49 Euro.
In the US, there are several taxes and fees that end up on top of the announced monthly plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.