Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
internet on iphone is GREAT , the way you navigate is the real internet, but how can steve jobs call that iphone have the real internet, if you cant load flash websites ?? i use my iphone all the time on wi-fi spots , and i use the internet like i use in my computer.. to check news etc... and its really fast to load websites, if u use EDGE then dont go to flash websites.. i just want to know, WHY no flash ???

internet nowdays without a flash player is cruel.. how many good sites use flash ? millions..

what u guys think ?

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
I agree, but this has been discussed in many threads. I'm sure it will be enabled in a future software update.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think most people are going to spend more time using their phones on EDGE, not WiFi, and pages are already slow enough to load as it is.

I do hope that Apple ads it in a future update for people like you, but make it a preference that people like me can turn off.

I do wonder how much battery life it will suck out of the iPhone, though. I mean, this forum gets regular posts from people complaining that a web browser on a page with Flash makes the fans on their MB/MBP run fast (because Flash uses a lot of their CPU).

Either way, I think that even without Flash, "the real Internet" is still a good way to describe how Safari displays it. Anyone with a BlackBerry can appreciate that.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
i hate sites with flash.. have you ever visited http://www.newsok.com? horrible horrible horrible and if it looks/performs that porrly in a regular web brower, imagine how bad it would be on a cell phone.

i also dislike java . i disable it in firefox just to stay away.

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
most of the flash i see on websites is advertisements, exceptions are always there but i would always prefer not to have flash on the iphone. though i can understand that many video websites similar to youtube use their own flash media players, so its obvious why people need flash. I dont use these sites much so i still prefer not having flash.

DonWilson

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2005
McKinney, TX
Most of you guys cannot understand why Flash is not supported on such a tiny device. This phone is about touching with a finger. Flash is too complex to display on a tiny display and still be controlled easily. Just get over wishing for flash on the iPhone. It's not coming.

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
I use Camino 1.5 with flash blocker as alot of flash content slows down my 667 G4. However I agree that Flash support needs to be added for real internet on the iPhone. Let's hope the iPhone makes the same advances as the iPod

AtariAge

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2006
Most of you guys cannot understand why Flash is not supported on such a tiny device. This phone is about touching with a finger. Flash is too complex to display on a tiny display and still be controlled easily. Just get over wishing for flash on the iPhone. It's not coming.
I could have sworn that in one of the reviews I read someone mentioned that Flash support in Safari was planned but removed at the last minute. I see no reason that Flash can't be supported, as long as you can zoom in, which is something that Flash already supports. Given this is one of the negatives people harp on consistently, and it would just be a software upgrade, I can't see how Apple can ignore it. Hopefully they'll also make Safari more stable. :)

..Al

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
FLASH IS NOT THE INTERNET!

let me put it this way,
Microsoft makes a plugin for IE that lets you run exe files from your browser.

it is not a standard, it is very proprietary!

flash only works with a plugin, if you require a user to download a plugin to view your site, then it is not a website at all!
:rolleyes:

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
To be honest, i was bummed there was going to be no flash.

But then once i got my iPhone, there really is no difference.

Plus no annoying ads for me.

-nickspohn

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I am not a big fan of flash. As someone with lots of websites and webpages, flash is worthless in terms of sharing information on the internet. Search engines don't index flash etc.

Flash is not the internet.

There is a place for flash, but a lot of places flash is used now is not required or beneficial.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
I completely disagree. Flash is quite useful in *many* "Web 2.0" sites, and isn't difficult to implement. Even listening to embedded podcasts (read: audio files) on sites is quite simple code-wise, yet unimplemented as of now. Here's to hoping it will be a swift fix.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
i wouldn't hold my breath for flash. before getting my iphone i had assumed that flash support was just being postponed while the initial wave of bugs, foibles and errata were reported and addressed.

speaking as a developer however i was disappointed to find that many simple, not to mention essential javascript events were not supported or supported in weird ways (mouseover, mouseup/mousedown treated as the same event, 5 second maximum on loops). flash is considerably more complex and resource hungry in terms of supported events and computations.

flash often time requires its own gestural based interaction. flash has its own user interface controls that completely ignore the OS. how is the iphone going to interact with scroll bars? what about custom built gestural interface -- which a large portion of flash sites use? i'm not sure how the phone will be able to distinguish when a user is trying to drag/pan the web page and when they're trying to interact with the flash piece.

basically flash on the phone isn't a technological barrier, it's a user interface one.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Flash not supported on purpose?

I came across a very interesting article http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/879DD82D-5595-4746-BFCE-524BBA7C7A85.html

Basically, the writer suggest, flash is lefted out of the iphone on purpose just as the same way ipod refused to support WMA and similar formats. By doing so, WMA and Microsoft failed to dominate and straggle-hold the digital music industry.

Flash is slowly creeping onto smartphone, through verizon and other variants of Flash on nokia etc. Reason for NOT supporting flash is a) usability issue, that mouse interaction is different than that of fingers, and b) it will an act to prevent Adobe and Flash from dominating the smartphone market. Instead, open standards are being pushed.

DonWilson

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2005
McKinney, TX
Most flash widgets are doable, but there are so many different types of flash objects out there (games mostly) that will be impossible to port to the iPhone's usability.

ScottW-CO

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
One of the first things I did, when I got ahold of my phone, was to surf to my my main work project. I've got a fair bit of ajax functionality built into it - select this item, other select item repopulates, timed updates of <div> contents, etc.

All of it worked like a champ.

So yeah, no Flash. That's something that'll come later.

The "real" internet isn't just "OOH SHINY". The real internet is what you can DO with it. And I'm finding I can do a hell of a lot with the iPhone.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Personally I'm glad Flash didn't make it.

Why?

Flash is a CPU hog. Watch your battery life drop even faster while looking at sites with flash on them. Also, look at the number of advertisements. Wow. I honestly love the fact that you do not have those "Smack Paris Hilton and win a free iPod Nano" advertisements everywhere.

Flash can stay off the iPhone. Good riddance i say.

Noumenon

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Since there is no Apple OS SDK release and only 3rd party dev. through Safari, i think they need to add flash maybe even full java, ...otherwise they should release an OS SDK.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Since there is no Apple OS SDK release and only 3rd party dev. through Safari, i think they need to add flash maybe even full java, ...otherwise they should release an OS SDK.

It's a mobile device. They will at most allow people to write small applications for it. Not get deep and dirty with the applications and create plugins for safari and such.

How would you like installing something that makes your iphone really unstable or even kills battery life? Probably not right?

They will allow devs to write applications, BUT they will have a very minimal impact on the device itself.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Preventing the rest of us from creating or using applications is just silly.

The iPhone isn't stable even before adding third party apps. So much for the argument that they would be solely responsible for breaking it.

People install software all the time on other phones. If it makes it unstable, take it off. If you don't want to take the chance, don't install anything.

It's the difference between a Big Brother attitude and freedom. Something that Apple seems to have lost sight of, and that many users might be too young to realize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.