Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noumenon

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
It's a mobile device. They will at most allow people to write small applications for it. Not get deep and dirty with the applications and create plugins for safari and such.

How would you like installing something that makes your iphone really unstable or even kills battery life? Probably not right?

They will allow devs to write applications, BUT they will have a very minimal impact on the device itself.

I meant by OS SDK, the link-libraries to allow application developement. (didn't mean open source OS). Apple has already stated they will not release it,.. only allow Safari dev (w/ no flash or java, (only javascript)).

PalmOS did its users a great service by allowing 3rd party developement of apps.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I meant by OS SDK, the link-libraries to allow application dev. Apple has already stated they will not release it,.. only allow Safari dev (w/ no flash or java, (only javascript)).

PalmOS did its users a great service by allowing 3rd party developement of apps.

Being at WWDC this year, they did not say that they wouldn't be allowing people to develop applications for the iPhone. They didn't say they would either. But I suspect there's a lot more involved than we think. We'll see it soon enough. It won't be out tomorrow. But it will happen. Why? Because I think the entire audience during the keynote, and the subsequent sessions on developing "webapps" for the iPhone were extremely underwhelming and everyone's response was "what... the.... hell?"

I think Apple wants to create something for developers that will last a long time. It needs to be able to move forward. It takes planning. And I believe they've been spending a lot of time trying to get the iPhone ready for release. They just didn't have time to put together a developer package at this point in time. Let the device mature a little bit. Give it a few months worth of software updates and I suspect we'll see Apple release an SDK. Probably requiring Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.