iPhone reboots in Walmart?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cubsfan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Cubsfan macrumors member

Does anyone else's iPhone reboot in WalMart? Mine almost never reboots, but when I'm in WalMart, it will reboot pretty much any time I try to do anything with it. I was thinking that it was maybe the anti-theft scanners they use, but my friend's iPhone doesn't have the same problem.

Maybe it's just trying to make me go to a high class supermarket :)

2. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Yeah, don't shop at walmart, that store's EVIL!!!! :eek:

3. joseluis.17 macrumors regular

Lol

I think it may be due to a network that your iphone is traying to connect to
    But I don't know

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Yea of course, wallmart have a security system like no other. If you try and steal a box of ceral ninjas are gonna fly out of the sky wielding iphones and then give you the wrath of a freezing and crashing safari until you go crazy enough to give it back. Joking aside, they make cell phone jammers, not cell phone "restarters" doubt its wall mart.. just a one of those things.

5. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Ok, that's weird. My iPhone never randomly reboots itself, and I rarely go to walmart, since I F-in' hate that place, but the other day I had to drive my handicapped uncle there, and as we were in the check out, my phone randomly shut down and got stuck at the apple logo while rebooting. I had to do a hard reset to get it to come back up.

6. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

3G signals don't work inside. The same thing will happen in an Apple store. So the story goes.

7. daisuke07 macrumors regular

lol whered you get that from

walmart just wants you to buy a google fone

8. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I was just joking around I got it from Apple store employees. Half of the stores that sell the iPhone don't get full signals. 3G doesn't penetrate walls, or so the story goes.

9. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

3G doesn't penetrate walls? I'm inside and on 3G right now.

10. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

walmart is consprying a hack plan!! WATCH OUT! they are hacking everybodies iphones!

11. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

If you're inside a metal framed or walled building, depending on the thickness of the metal and the size of any gaps within the metal relative to the wavelength of the signal you're interested in, the building may act as a weak Faraday cage that weakens or entirely disrupts service.

Some buildings use indoor repeaters to improve reception, offsetting the dampening effects of the walls. Alternatively, some buildings may be made out of materials that aren't as disruptive to the signal such as wood, drywall and brick.

12. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I go to Walmart all the time, at several different locations and I've never had this happen. Are you doing anything with your Iphone when it reboots or does it just do it randomly?

13. Cubsfan thread starter macrumors member

It seems to happen when I try to do something. Maybe use a data connection? Guess I'm not sure about phone calls. It makes the phone nearly unusable there.

14. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I'm posting this from Walmart and I've had no troubles. I did a couple of searches, went into settings and came on this forum without any problems.

15. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

That is crazy, I have had this same thing happen to me about 4 or 5 times at the Walmart in Northampton Ma. I figured it has something to do with all the electronics or something in the buidling. I actually think I posted about this before. Pretty strange. I have a gen1 phone

16. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I think the most plausible theory mentioned thus-far is the network bit. Try turning your wifi off, and see if it crashes then.

17. jeffmc macrumors 6502

what a silly statement, AT&T sends techs to all apple stores to make sure they get full signal

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Not silly at all. I got a (@*$ signal in the Apple store in Rockingham Mall. (every time I've been there with my iphone, actually)

19. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Wow! Going the extra mile to answer the OP's question. Nice work! :)

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just to add...

This is especially true of reinforced concrete with a lot of Rebarb in it.

Buildings with this are terrible for any type of cell phone or WiFi reception.

21. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

This actually happened to me the other day. I was in WalMart (unfortunately) and got a call, halfway through my phone just restarted itself.

22. haddman macrumors regular

This is like asking, "hey, has anyone else ever gotten a flat tire on I-95?"

23. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Eeeeerrriiiiieee!!! Just yesterday, I got a flat tire AT WALMART!!!!!111!1ONe

*** Disclaimer ***

Not really. ;)

24. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I was in Wal-Mart today and thougth of this thread.

I took out my phone and saw good signal strength and 3G coverage. I checked my email and followed a link to the web, all worked fine for me. *shrug*

25. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It probably rebooted from being around so many pre-payed cell phones and got sick. ;)