Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Hey,

What is the difference between iPhone side ringer volume and control center volume? I know the iPhone ringer buttons on side controls incoming calls volume, but does it also control notifications volume such as texts or post notifications, etc. i know the side volume buttons also control the volume of music coming out of the speakers when in iTunes or YouTube.

No clue why i cant figure it out (perhaps getting older). Notifications coming in, is their volume controlled by ringer volume (buttons on actual iphone) or the control center volume or both? And if both, which takes precedence?

What is the point of the control center volume? What does that volume attribute/pertain to?

Thanks guys/gals.

Reactions: macfacts

RicoRich196

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
The volume buttons on the phone are contextual in that if you are listening to music/podcasts/watching a video you can raise and lower the volume. Same goes for when you are on a call whether it's BT/Speakerphone or with the phone to your ear.

However, when you are NOT on a call or listening to music/playing media the volume buttons will adjust the "Ringer" volume. The Ringer volume (when you press the volume buttons the bell icon will say Ringer above it) controls notification sounds. So it's how loud your alarm will be, your phone ringtone as well as any messaging or push notifications.

The volume controls in the control center allow you to independently raise the volume of any media that is being played or will be played and does NOT have any affect on the volume of your ringer/notifications.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Its funny to see this topic come up now considering the "two volume settings" thing has been a nuisance from the beginning. I pretty much gave up years ago after "Turning down the volume" during a meeting and still having a custom ringtone go off.

I'm sure the dual volume thing makes sense and I can figure it out. But I have just become accustomed to keep it permanently on silent mode.

Reactions: Pravda

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
The volume buttons on the phone are contextual in that if you are listening to music/podcasts/watching a video you can raise and lower the volume. Same goes for when you are on a call whether it's BT/Speakerphone or with the phone to your ear.

However, when you are NOT on a call or listening to music/playing media the volume buttons will adjust the "Ringer" volume. The Ringer volume (when you press the volume buttons the bell icon will say Ringer above it) controls notification sounds. So it's how loud your alarm will be, your phone ringtone as well as any messaging or push notifications.

The volume controls in the control center allow you to independently raise the volume of any media that is being played or will be played and does NOT have any affect on the volume of your ringer/notifications.

Thank you for this clear and quick response. Much appreciate it.
[doublepost=1512581623][/doublepost]
Its funny to see this topic come up now considering the "two volume settings" thing has been a nuisance from the beginning. I pretty much gave up years ago after "Turning down the volume" during a meeting and still having a custom ringtone go off.

I'm sure the dual volume thing makes sense and I can figure it out. But I have just become accustomed to keep it permanently on silent mode.

Lol. That’s exactly my issue. No clue which to turn down when I’m in a meeting.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thank you for this clear and quick response. Much appreciate it.
[doublepost=1512581623][/doublepost]

Lol. That’s exactly my issue. No clue which to turn down when I’m in a meeting.
Best to probably use the silent switch on the side of the phone as far as that relates to ringer/notifications, and perhaps turn down the volume in control center if you think you might be still using the phone at the time and could start playing some audio from a web page or a game or something like that.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It's not just two settings either! It remembers different levels for the device speaker, wired headphones and Bluetooth headphones. That's six. There was a great jailbreak app that let you adjust them all.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I‘ve disabled this over Settings -> Sound & Haptics -> Change with Buttons „off“

Sorry, but can’t believe after 9 years with iphone i still don’t understand this.

To those that have disabled the “Change with Buttons” on Sounds & Haptics, is there a way to increase ringer volume any other way then going into Ringer Volume is settings? Is there a short cut to increase or decrease ringer volume when you have change with buttons off?

Thank you!

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Sorry, but can’t believe after 9 years with iphone i still don’t understand this.

To those that have disabled the “Change with Buttons” on Sounds & Haptics, is there a way to increase ringer volume any other way then going into Ringer Volume is settings? Is there a short cut to increase or decrease ringer volume when you have change with buttons off?

Thank you!
Nope i don’t know any other way, well maybe while it’s ringing, but I’ve never tried.
I’ve set the ringer volume once and that’s it.
When you have the ringer volume to change with buttons, it’s affects all at once, the app/music/game/alarms and ringer at same time.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I‘ve disabled this over Settings -> Sound & Haptics -> Change with Buttons „off“

This is the proper thing to do, I don’t understand why people don’t understand this.

In Settings -> Sounds & Haptics, set your ringtone volume to whatever you are comfortable with.

Set “Change With Buttons” to off.

Set Vibration on if you wish.

From this point forward, your ringtone volume will remain locked in and constant and will never be disturbed by an accidental press of the buttons on the edge of the phone or in control center.

To silence the ringtone, flick the side switch.

Done.

I haven’t changed the volume of my ringtones in 8 years. Set it once to a volume level I am comfortable with, set the ‘change with buttons’ option to the off position, the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.