Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I dont know about you guys but I like my ringer to be one of my favorites songs or have different songs play for different contacts. In the iphone video i didnt notice anything that would suggest this to be possible, but i find it hard to believe this feature isnt going to be available. all the songs are already on there and everyone has music for a ringtone. any one out there have any info or assumptions about this?

AirmanPika

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Vandenberg AFB, CA
I have a bad feeling that apple is going to rape us on ringtones thanks to that special tab you get when you connect an iPhone to iTunes. It sucks too because I prefer to make my own ringtones.

drinkmilk15

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
nobody really knows for sure yet. I would be really surprised if this wasn't a feature of the phone some how.

r4m3n

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
if you look at that 20 minute guided tour video on the Apple site, they show you the Settings menu and under ringtones, you only see the default ringtones the iPhone comes with. I didn't see any button or settings pane that allows you to choose mp3s or any other ringtone source. i'm a bit worried about this.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
i dont think mp3's would actually be practical. think about it. what if your ringtone was the song u were listening too?

how would u distinguish an incoming call from ur ipod.

and yes i also predict apple is gunna screw us over and make additional ringtones purchasable thru the apple store.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
Are you saying people want to use anything besides the beautiful Marimba ringtone? It will be unfortunate though, I've enjoyed being able to make my own mp3 ringtones with my various phones over the years. Even my RAZR can do it. Not gonna stop me from buying one though. This is for sure.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
i dont think mp3's would actually be practical. think about it. what if your ringtone was the song u were listening too?

how would u distinguish an incoming call from ur ipod.

Yeah, that would be really odd. The song fades out and then starts playing again.

Are you saying people want to use anything besides the beautiful Marimba ringtone?

I am probably going to leave it... it is pretty good.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Umm... songs as ringers work fine, plus it would use a different speaker (loud external) and mute your headphones if you were listening to music.

I've used mp3 ringers on my Palm phones that I've made myself since like... 2003. I like being able to make them myself and not have to pay a fee for them when really I already "lease" the copyrighted material for myself, and the ringers are just for me on MY phone. Charging for ringtones has always seemed a ridiculous and unnecessary glut of profits and I refuse to buy them.

If there is no even 3rd party hacked way to put your own music ringers on the iPhone from music you own, I will be PISSED. That could almost be a dealbreaker because it would make me so angry. But I know Apple wants profits and blabla... so I'd probably get an iPhone anyway and just wait it out or deal with the defaults, and maybe buy one special ringer for the hubby. :) But still, I'd be angry having to pay for it. :mad:

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I think the next version of GarageBand will have an Export To Ringtone option. More likely than that, you'll be able to use any song in iTunes as your Ringtone. They'll probably add a Ringtone Snippet feature in iTunes 8 that allows you to select a portion of a song in your iTunes Library and add it to a Ringtones area, much like the Podcasts or Movies areas.

Here's the logic behind why they won't completely rape you with a separate ringtone section of the iTunes store:
You own the music that's in your library, so you can play it on your iPod. This was the basic philosophy that the music industry fought against initially, but has accepted. Extending this to ringtones isn't any less wrong, legally, than with music, and I think Apple will take advantage of that.

kamiboy

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Well, AT&T might have put the squeeze on Apple to prevent using your own songs as ringtones. Or They just decided that ringtones should be synced seperatly thrugh iTunes so you just add your own mp3 there on your mac. We will know in 6 days.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Well, AT&T might have put the squeeze on Apple to prevent using your own songs as ringtones. Or They just decided that ringtones should be synced seperatly thrugh iTunes so you just add your own mp3 there on your mac. We will know in 6 days.

exactly right on both counts. Ominous, though, that the demo-thingy made no mention of user-created ringtones (although they didn't show iTunes, so who knows).

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
as far as listening to the song and that same song is your ringtone: maybe the ringtones could just be for the internal speaker when you didnt have the ipod feature playing.

after reading some of these posts I definitely agree that apple will release a new version of itunes very soon. as much as SJ loves his iphone there is no doubt it is going to get special treatment in itunes. (probably to make your own ringtones or buy them for like $.49 on itunes. much better than verizon charging like $2 for a ringtone.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Here's how I'm hoping the whole ringtone thing is going to work...

That tab that was shown in iTunes, when you select it, it lists all the songs in iTunes that you're using as a ringtone, and shows which contacts they are set to. As for how to set them, you just select a song in the list, and either with some "right-click" action, or somewhere in the menu, there will be an option that says "Set this song as a ringtone". From there, it will bring you to your contact list, and you'll select the contact or group that you want to assign the song to.

Dermot81

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Blah, not having MP3 ringtones is something most of us Verizon users are all too familiar with :)

That said, there are methods for getting mp3s on verizon phones...Similarly, I'd expect someone will find a way to use mp3 ringtones with the iphone within a few weeks of release.

r1mantuxa

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
weeeeee

how i put its easy first time its harder to download and like that but 2nd its well easy to put mp3 as ringtones in iphone folow steps and its all

1.U need to download winscp and install it. u can do it here http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/WinSCP/4-307-1.html
2.Open winscp on left bottom corner there is advanced pres it and now u got all settings go to connection put 45 sec on server response timeout then press save there gona pop up some screen press ok. when u saved on right top corner is load press it on Host name type your iphone ip adress u can get it going to iphone general settings wifi.now careful on username u need to put root and on passsword alpine make sure u type it right. Now press save and then login its gona take like 45 sec until gona pop up some screen u need to type yes. when u loged in on right side is all your iphone folder and more.
on top is name root pres it and change it to / <root> now go to library and ringtones(if u want u can delete them all.) minimaze winscp u gona need it after 3 step.
2.download this program its audio converter good one :)
http://www.download3000.com/download-Switch_Audio_File_Converter-count-reg-31135.html
install it run it and convert your song to .m4a format
3. after u done these steps find that song which one u cenverted rename it to .m4r.
4. and now just open winscp and copy your song to ringtone map.
:):D

r1mantuxa

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
weeeee

sry about english i hope u understod me i m not enlgish i m form latvia so i m just learning it :) if something wrong tell me :) and i got iphone with 1.1.4 version it worked for me i dont now about other versions

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Not sure if you noticed but the last post before yours was from June of last year. There's load of different ways of doing this today.

Azmontana

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Is this possible on the iPhone 3G or is there an app which will allow me to use my mp3's as a ringtone

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
VERY easy

ok, this is definitely the best and easiest way to make ringtones for the iphone

just use the site, make your own folder called ringtones, put all the ones you want in there, and double-click to add to itunes, they will automatically go into your ringtones tab and sync...the site also has pre-made ones you can search for

http://audiko.net/en.html

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
use iTunes to convert the file to AAC (m4a) then rename the file to .m4r, then reimport it to iTunes

cut it down to 30 seconds or less

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Umm... songs as ringers work fine, plus it would use a different speaker (loud external) and mute your headphones if you were listening to music.

I've used mp3 ringers on my Palm phones that I've made myself since like... 2003. I like being able to make them myself and not have to pay a fee for them when really I already "lease" the copyrighted material for myself, and the ringers are just for me on MY phone. Charging for ringtones has always seemed a ridiculous and unnecessary glut of profits and I refuse to buy them.

If there is no even 3rd party hacked way to put your own music ringers on the iPhone from music you own, I will be PISSED. That could almost be a dealbreaker because it would make me so angry. But I know Apple wants profits and blabla... so I'd probably get an iPhone anyway and just wait it out or deal with the defaults, and maybe buy one special ringer for the hubby. :) But still, I'd be angry having to pay for it. :mad:

I use hacked ringtones one my iphone right now...
so everyone YES you can but you have to go through the conversion process. Just watch the million youtube videos that explain how this works.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
ok, this is definitely the best and easiest way to make ringtones for the iphone

just use the site, make your own folder called ringtones, put all the ones you want in there, and double-click to add to itunes, they will automatically go into your ringtones tab and sync...the site also has pre-made ones you can search for

http://audiko.net/en.html

VERY EASY
Thanks for that link

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
well you can also crop 30 secs of the song(whatever you want thats in your iTunes), right click>Convert Selection to AAC format> rename it to whatever~Ringtone or somethin wit ringtone on the end of it...go to My Documents>My Music> Itunes> iTunes Music>(the artist of that song)> and rename the ____~Ringtone.m4a to ____ringtone.m4r....and then add file to iTunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.