Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
razrs... prolly 7,000... cuz they were very expensive when they first came out... iphone?? um prolly a million in a month...

The RAZR apparently holds the previous record for highest monthly sales, so that's the record I'm wondering about. Maybe that was after it got cheaper?

Then again, the RAZR did cost about the same as an iPhone.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
RAZR took a while for sales to take off.

Do we know how many iPhones the big flagship stores each received?

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Right now it isn't practical for me to own an iPhone (as much as I want one!), especially cause I am a college student and just bought a MBP :)

But like someone else said, for every person buying one now, there are those waiting for reviews, different revs, and people like me that are set on getting one but in about a year when I can afford it ;)

I am still impressed with the $60 voice and data plans, because that is only $20 more than I pay for my dumb cell phone plan as it is, and I think this is what helped a lot sales happen - the cheap plan.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
And for every early adopter there are 10-20 people ready to buy in the next quarter! This is a groundbreaking paradigm shift.

Yes. Apple well on its way to dominating smart phone sales, just as they dominate music player sales.

The smell of fear pervades the entire internet.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Yes. Apple well on its way to dominating smart phone sales, just as they dominate music player sales.

The smell of fear pervades the entire internet.

It's amazing, now asia is trailing our technology. In the past, we've always been a few years behind in regards to cell phone technology.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
If we don't slow down to less than 2 iPhone articles per day, I think I will go out and hang myself.

I've said this several times on these forums already but I'm surprised people (especially on this site) aren't catching on to this point. This "phone" Apple is selling is just a scaled back portable computer that happens to be able to make phone calls and emulate an iPod. And since it's running OS X, it is, for all intents and purposes, a Mac. Don't let the name fool you. If you're a Mac fan, you should be hanging on for every iPhone story. Personally, I'm most interested in how many non-Mac owners are buying these things. It's a trojan horse for getting OS X into people's lives--including people who have never bought Macs before.

Secondly, for those of you debating the profits vs. R&D, remember that much of what's going on with the iPhone is being spun off to and from other Apple technologies (OS X, iPod, etc.) That wholly estimated $200M R&D budget you're all wondering about should be cut up between several different, major projects at Apple, so the iPhone doesn't have to make all that back before it's a profitable venture.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I've said this several times on these forums already but I'm surprised people (especially on this site) aren't catching on to this point. This "phone" Apple is selling is just a scaled back portable computer that happens to be able to make phone calls and emulate an iPod. And since it's running OS X, it is, for all intents and purposes, a Mac. Don't let the name fool you. If you're a Mac fan, you should be hanging on for every iPhone story. Personally, I'm most interested in how many non-Mac owners are buying these things. It's a trojan horse for getting OS X into people's lives--including people who have never bought Macs before.

Secondly, for those of you debating the profits vs. R&D, remember that much of what's going on with the iPhone is being spun off to and from other Apple technologies (OS X, iPod, etc.) That wholly estimated $200M R&D budget you're all wondering about should be cut up between several different, major projects at Apple, so the iPhone doesn't have to make all that back before it's a profitable venture.

Completely agree. iPhone is Newton 2. A UMPC. A Tablet. I cant stress how important it is.

BlueT

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
It's amazing, now asia is trailing our technology. In the past, we've always been a few years behind in regards to cell phone technology.

The iPhone, except for the touchscreen, is a knockoff of years old Asian technology. There is nothing even remotely "revolutionary" about the phone, except the touch screen. Now, there was nothing revolutionary about the 1G iPod either. So there's that.

But, unlike the iPod, the iPhone requires a two year, $60/month contract. So it won't "take off" like the iPod. There is hope that Apple comes out with several models of iPhone (like the iPod and Macs). But until that happens, all everyone is really doing right now is reveling in the "blown smoke up the ass" that Apple has created with the marketing of this product. I played with it; it's cool. But the bottom line is that the average cell phone costs between Free-$100. People don't pay $600 for phones. Especially ones that offer extremely limited capability (8 GB? Come on. The Nano has had that for almost a year now and memory prices are plummeting.)

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Why are people complaining about iPhone articles on a Mac rumor site? This is probably one of the most significant jumps for Apple since the Intel shift, it must be covered. This device could change portable computing altogether for Apple, and people think this is a bad thing?

Oh the iPhone is definitely more than a "wow" for now machine. It's going to be around for quite some times -- and while everyone might not want one now, they definitely will in the next few years. Everything that's holding people back now (price, capacity, speed, etc.) will be solved in future versions. Even the fact that it's locked to one network will eventually change (although people will have to wait a little bit longer for that one).

The iPhone is eventually going to get to the point where it doesn't make sense why you would choose any other phone. Just like where the iPod is right now for digital music players...

Well, I'm sure the folks at Apple are pretty psyched about the success of the iPhone's launch, unlike the rather subdued AppleTV debut, which then faded into the background after a few days of hack threads and add-on announcements.

But, eventually, if Apple is going to appeal to a wider market, it'll have to create lower end models with smaller form factors to appeal to those that want a slick phone that eats up little pocket space, like the nano to the iPod.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
The iPhone, except for the touchscreen, is a knockoff of years old Asian technology. There is nothing even remotely "revolutionary" about the phone, except the touch screen. Now, there was nothing revolutionary about the 1G iPod either. So there's that.

But, unlike the iPod, the iPhone requires a two year, $60/month contract. So it won't "take off" like the iPod. There is hope that Apple comes out with several models of iPhone (like the iPod and Macs). But until that happens, all everyone is really doing right now is reveling in the "blown smoke up the ass" that Apple has created with the marketing of this product. I played with it; it's cool. But the bottom line is that the average cell phone costs between Free-$100. People don't pay $600 for phones. Especially ones that offer extremely limited capability (8 GB? Come on. The Nano has had that for almost a year now and memory prices are plummeting.)

Your criticism is as moot as any criticism presented against the iPod and the Mac. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the UI is ALL.

And this includes not only the MOST advanced touchscreen on the planet, but also the most gorgeous graphics and the best OS out there. This alone is worth the price of an iPhone...this device is the next revolution for Apple. And that's why it's gonna sell like bananas, be it 60 or 600 bucks.

BlueT

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
Your criticism is as moot as any criticism presented against the iPod and the Mac. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the UI is ALL.

And this includes not only the MOST advanced touchscreen on the planet, but also the most gorgeous graphics and the best OS out there. This alone is worth the price of an iPhone...

First of all, do you know what "moot" means? It means inconsequential. And the iPhone has been out for 4 days. So to suggest that my comments at this stage of the game are already inconsequential show a severe lacking of foresight on your part. Or, to dumb it down a little, quit drinking the Kool-Aid for a split second to realize that there have been many, many Apple failures. (BTW, calling it Newton-2 is freaking hilarious in that maybe it will fail just as badly as its predecessor. Normally, if I release a product that bellyflops, I try not to bring back memories of it.)

And I agree that the OS is critical to the phone. You know what happened to Apple's stock after it announced that the phone would not be open to third party development? It tanked (as much as it could, given the hysteria at that point). Paying $600 right now for a phone that has no real innovation except the touchscreen doesn't make any sense. It doesn't offer anything new. Which is precisely why either Apple is going to have to push through some major new software releases for the phone really quick, or risk losing the hype it created. Early adopters and Mac Kool-Aid drinkers buy anything. That's not Apple's target audience. Middle America is Apple's target with this phone, and so far, it's too early to tell if this phone will take hold. And if the phone's capabilities don't ramp up soon, people will keep doing what they do now: buy an iPod and a crappy phone made by the countless number of phone manufacturers that offer reasonably priced phones.

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx

i completely agree! in march or so, i plan to buy my first mac laptop in 4 years, all thanks to my awesome iPhone :)

First of all, do you know what "moot" means? It means inconsequential. And the iPhone has been out for 4 days. So to suggest that my comments at this stage of the game are already inconsequential show a severe lacking of foresight on your part. Or, to dumb it down a little, quit drinking the Kool-Aid for a split second to realize that there have been many, many Apple failures. (BTW, calling it Newton-2 is freaking hilarious in that maybe it will fail just as badly as its predecessor. Normally, if I release a product that bellyflops, I try not to bring back memories of it.)

And I agree that the OS is critical to the phone. You know what happened to Apple's stock after it announced that the phone would not be open to third party development? It tanked (as much as it could, given the hysteria at that point). Paying $600 right now for a phone that has no real innovation except the touchscreen doesn't make any sense. It doesn't offer anything new. Which is precisely why either Apple is going to have to push through some major new software releases for the phone really quick, or risk losing the hype it created. Early adopters and Mac Kool-Aid drinkers buy anything. That's not Apple's target audience. Middle America is Apple's target with this phone, and so far, it's too early to tell if this phone will take hold. And if the phone's capabilities don't ramp up soon, people will keep doing what they do now: buy an iPod and a crappy phone made by the countless number of phone manufacturers that offer reasonably priced phones.

first of all, did you check the stock today? up nearly 6 bucks... and i just made over 800 dollars in one day thanks to that stock... also, how bout you actually own an iphone or use one for more than 30 mins then you can make an honest opinion. these iphone bashers are all the same... they've just never used one and they feel righteous to bash it.

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I must admit, I'll probably never own an iPhone (too much phone for my minimal requirements/too expensive) but it's one dandy doohickey. After trying other smartphones out there, I'd have to say that Apple is on to something, as a great deal of those other phones out there are pretty much key-messed globs of plastic by comparison, even if for now have more useful functions. Hopefully this changes soon.

Fwink!

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2002
Earth
I'm guessing 100K - 300k phones actually sold.

On "p" day all the apple stores had stock at the end of the day. Sure the AT&T stores sold out, but they all had just 40-60 phones.

Be aware that phones delivered to stores, are not phones sold.

Apple has put off a "massive victory" banner on it;s site for a reason, they are waiting to numbers to be spectacular. IF they had sole 500K phones, THEY would be saying so themselves.

It's tiring to see all you Apple apologists unable to accept that the iPhone is vasty overpriced, and beyond the budget of most.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
And since it's running OS X, it is, for all intents and purposes, a Mac. Don't let the name fool you. If you're a Mac fan, you should be hanging on for every iPhone story. Personally, I'm most interested in how many non-Mac owners are buying these things. It's a trojan horse for getting OS X into people's lives--including people who have never bought Macs before.\

I noticed people playing with iPhones (highly impressed of course) and mentioning that they never used "a Mac" before but it was pretty easy. Non-Mac people are already thinking of the iPhone as an example of using a Mac. (Which in many ways it is.) That can't hurt Mac sales!

I'm guessing 100K - 300k phones actually sold....

It's tiring to see all you Apple apologists unable to accept that the iPhone is vasty overpriced, and beyond the budget of most.

That's some quality, original trolling :p And if the iPhone is vastly overpriced, all those other phones (like Motorola Q) that cost even MORE after 2 years must be outrageously overpriced! :) "Cheap" phones shave off some initial cost and slap it back on every month. And consumers have done that math.

Then look at the phones (like Nokia N95) that cost $700-$1100 :eek: And they don't even have the big screen, long battery life, thin form, and mass storage of an iPhone. So what's a GPS worth to you? :)

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Overpriced?
My f#$%@ RAZR was overpriced at 500+.
I am a demanding early adopter and I am blown away by this "phone"

As for the comment about old technology..
Its not the guts, its the form.
And as always the software interface.
Plus the chance to own a dream from Steve Jobs, a gifted future thinker and his team at Apple.

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
As others have noted, technology is more than just hardware -- it's also software and user interface. And the UI on the iPhone is truly revolutionary -- Apple has created a touchscreen interface that, within a very short time of starting to use it, feels completely natural. And it's unlike any computer interface I've ever encountered. That's what really blows away every person who sees my phone.

JNB

macrumors 604
As one reviewer so succinctly noted, it's more than the sum of its functions. That's where the FUDders don't--and never will--get it. They look at a feature set like a bunch of Marketing 101 zombies, and why they'll continue to think that all the MS, Moto, Sony, and other manufacturers are "innovating" through feature bloat (coupled with truly vile design).

Personally, I think we should start a PayPal fund to buy one for Ballmer. The man needs serious inspiration.

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
As others have noted, technology is more than just hardware -- it's also software and user interface. And the UI on the iPhone is truly revolutionary -- Apple has created a touchscreen interface that, within a very short time of starting to use it, feels completely natural. And it's unlike any computer interface I've ever encountered. That's what really blows away every person who sees my phone.

Agreed, i cant stand trolling sometimes...

ksjcorpus

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2006
blue you're missing the point

over the weekend i would have agreed with you but there's clearly a ground-swell how middle america is reacting to the product. you're right there's nothing superbly cutting edge except for the touch screen but ..... here's the big but ..... the common everyday person can now have a smart phone with push email, the internet on wifi and a media player. the iphone wasn't meant to compete with the blackberry as much as for all those razr that people generally hate. 50 million razrs have been sold and apart from the iphone there's no other game in town. blue have you even seen an N95?

Rocketman

macrumors 603

I couldn't agree more. In fact I posted that months ago.

Rocketman

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/277584/
and others before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.