iPhone + Sauna ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by javiwankenobi, May 26, 2011.

1. javiwankenobi macrumors member

So Im one of those people who just cannot go to the gym without music. I would like to use the sauna at my health club from time to time. But I know the humidity will **** up my iPhone.

Do you guys think that the humidity sensor strip would tigger if I stick my iPhone into my backpack and just take out the earbuds while Im at the vapor? Or does it sound like a recipe for disaster all together?

Im open for suggestions :)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You serious now?
    Yeah go for it, jump in the jacuzzi with it while you're at it.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

4. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Heat, steam, and condensation do not mix with technological devices.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd buy an iPod Shuffle and then STILL wrap it in platic. And even then I wouldn't be surprised if you have to buy a new one from time to time.

6. fender57 macrumors 6502

Can't you go 30 minutes or whatever without having phones plugged to your ears? Seriously, I wouldn't even take a walkman into a sauna.

7. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Wow, you guys can be harsh.

To the OP... there's a bunch of waterproof cases out there. I'd think they should work. There's a new more "form fitting" one out that looks decent. Unfortunately, I forget what it's called. (saw it on Flipboard)

I think your question is a good one.

8. iqwertyi macrumors regular

I've never tried it, but I see a lot of people taking their phones (iPhones and Android included) in the sauna.

I do not know if there are any long term damages that will eventually occur, I'm just saying I see lots of people doing this and see them in say a months time and they're still using it.

To clarify, this is in a Sauna (dry heat, not steam where it'll get soaked for sure).

9. Sonic04GT, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Why would you risk your phone when you can get a Gen 1 Nano or Shuffle for probably like $15.

10. livspop macrumors regular

I take my latest generation nano into the dry sauna every and have done it with every nano I have had forever. Never once had a problem. That said, I do upgrade every time the newest model comes out, so I couldn't say what the effects would be after, what, a year and a half?

I never, ever would consider taking my iPhone in the sauna, even in a waterproof case. It would probably be fine, but for some reason I just can't pull the trigger on that one! :D

11. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Go buy a cheap MP3 player and headphones pretty much common sense here. Your money your phone.

12. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

if its a dry sauna ull be fine. I use my i4 in a dry sauna all the time and have never had a problem. i stay in for about 30 minutes btw.

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Like some others have said you might just wanna invest in a piece of crap MP3 player to use in the sauna instead of your iPhone. No need to get a Shuffle (unless you want to) but maybe one of those random generic looking MP3 players would suffice. I think they can be had for like $10 or something.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I think a lot of people are confusing a sauna with a STEAM ROOM. One is dry heat (mostly) whereas the other is wet. Either way, I wouldn't take the iPhone into either of them.

15. tkadrum macrumors member

Seriously? Are you that important that you must bring your phone into the danger zone?

16. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

some people are ;). i can't be apart from my phones while in the sauna b.c of work. my iphone and blackberry comes with me into the sauna all the time. and i NEVER have had any issues

Saunas are dry btw guys.

17. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

No doubt that the water vapor will damage the iPhone, but why hasn't anyone mentioned heat? Saunas are pretty ********** hot!

Not to mention the damage that can happen to you earphones (it's all cheapo Chinese plastic and rubber)

Anyway, I'd recommend leaving the iPhone in your locker ;)

18. iFiend macrumors 65816

Sheesh, this thread is ugly! Be nice :)

OP- my moisture sensor in the dock area got tripped and the only way I can see that it did is taking my phone in the bathroom with me while I shower. If that happens with just a steamy bathroom I would imagine you do not want to take it with you in the sauna :cool:

19. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

The building I live in has a dry sauna and one guy I know always has his iPhone4 in with him. Though it is a "dry" sauna we often throw water on the heater and the walls which creates a lot of steam and his phone is fine. I still wont bring my phone in with me though...

20. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

wow it shocks me how many people don't read. Your comparing a steamy bathroom to a DRY sauna. a dry sauna won't be cause any water indicators to go off.

21. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

22. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

to be honest it would probably be ok.....for a while. I would never do anything like that though. just sing to yourself instead.

23. eseminario macrumors member

Ok forums are for discussion...but I don't get posts like this :p

24. javiwankenobi thread starter macrumors member

To: tjmrpm04, h1r0ll3r, vincenz, iqwertyi, s.hasan546,Small White Car,msb3079
    Thank you all for all your constructive comments. I will look into your suggestions. I already checked out some cases/bags specially designed for these type of things, However, like some of you suggest, it might be more practical and cheaper to just buy a cheapo mp3 player.

To: tkadrum
    Don´t you know? Only important people go into saunas, son ;) . The rest just browse through discussion forums and try to articulate their intents of an answer to posted questions in order to feel important.

To fender57
    If you must ask, then the answer is: yes, I can go without my music. What you dont seem to grasp is that I am trying to improve my experience in there. Thanks for your input though.

To Interstella5555
    You should be concerned about your problem solving capabilities and how incredibly challenging this common situation seems for you. See, kid, let me help you out here; when I was talking about keeping my iPhone in my backpack, or any other suggested container, I was worried about the moisture, in the first place. So I was looking for a solution for a problem;perhaps too challenging from reading some the answers I got, which is sad.

I suggest you learn how to read first, and then, read up on "impermiability".

AmereckanPsycho
    Yep, Thats why I thought I would start a thread on how to accomplish a feasible solution.

Applejuiced
    There's people that do scuba diving with iPhones, Im not sure what your point is. Also jacuzzi is not the same as a sauna. Thanks