iPhone SDK Feb 19th or 26th + New app on launch day...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boss1, Feb 7, 2008.

1. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I'm not claiming to be a fortune teller. but it's reasonable to be inclined to narrow it down to the title of this thread.

SDK release event summary:
    I'm guessing it will be a small conference, roughly 1 to 2 weeks notice to invited guests only.

After the SDK introduction there will be an general elaboration of what can, who can, and how to develop apps through SDK. afterwards....

I expect 1 or 2 pre seeded developers to present at the event to show off the amazing types of apps can be developed with the SDK exclusively on the iPhone.

...available through iTunes immediately after the event.

EDIT: also no announcement for 3G or any other upgraded iphone hardware components.

2. jeremy566 macrumors member

are they going to charge us to get new apps just like on the itouch

3. CKohkah macrumors 6502

I'm gonna say that the core apple software updates like 1.1.3 will continue to be free, but any SDK applications from 3rd party vendors are gonna cost some money.

I don't expect it to be a large amount of money tho, 5-10 bucks per application? Could end up being even cheaper then that....

I hope its on the 26th, I would love a "gift" like this from Apple on my Birthday. :)

4. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Hopefully, (fingerscrossed) that some developers who have made existing installer.app apps will make some for the iPhone SDK and keep them free!

5. rikako18 macrumors newbie

rikako18

Does anybody think that any developer would make a type of installer.app with the SDK??:D

6. biffstephens macrumors newbie

Oh I am sure they will make it but I am not so sure they will be aloud to sell it....

:)

I would also not assume that the updates will be free.....the updates for the Itouch were not free....so be ready!!!

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I beleive you may be right on your second option.

I actually am thinking that SDK should become available the 24th or something later that month.

8. hobo macrumors regular

The software update for the iPod Touch was free. The "extra" applications were not.

9. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Eventually I would bet yes.

10. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

No problem with paying for apps if they are good. Cant wait! Hopefully the first one is iChat!

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Most Apps will be free.

Depends on the company.

12. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I really hope BeeJive gets to dev for the iphone :)

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I would say, depends on the app. Any that needs to go outside the device for data (or store more than a little on the device, or use the camera, etc) will probably need a certificate.

If it's like OSX on the desktop, then you'll need to pay $200-300 EACH YEAR to get a cert and keep it current.

Although I suppose it's possible that if it were popular, Apple would pick up the tab... or charge 99 cents.

14. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

15. bbirch macrumors newbie

My two cents: I think the apple with have two different options for developers which will affect consumers.

Option 1: developers will purchase a certification for programs that will be charged. So the developer will purchase the certificate for $300/year or per program, with a new certification required for program updates. Then the developer will charge a fee on itunes for the program--anywhere from $5-$30 depending on the program. Likewise the developer will get a majority of the proceeds from the itunes sales (minus a nominal portion going to apple).

Option 2: No certificate fee for developing a program (a "free" program) but apple will charge $0.99 for each download to consumers as a "quasi shipping and handling fee." This way apple will be making a profit from "free" programs. No matter what I envision that apple will charge for ALL programs to some degree or another

Apple is positioning itunes to be essential for all its mobile hardware platforms, this will enable apple to continue to profit in addition to its hardware sales--just like the iphone does for them currently.

16. antibact1 macrumors 6502

They aren't going to charge just to be able to develop software for the platform, and it will be up to the discretion of the publisher to charge. With competition such as the Android platform, which already has a full SDK, they are going to have to position themselves with respect to that. As is right now, Android will have more applications available for it before a device hits the market than iPhone/iPod Touch will have > 1 year after launch. Sure Apple makes cool products, but if you can get something almost as cool for free, people will often go the free route. The typical jailbreak/SSH route is far too complicated for a lot of people, despite how easy it is, and further software and hardware updates will only make this more difficult.

17. kaostheory777 macrumors newbie

kaostheory777

Mac Sabre Please

I know it's a gimmick but an iPhone version of MacSabre would be kind of cool.

18. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I agree 100%

Core updates have always been free and I believe will always be free. But we have always paid small amounts for applications like games and stuff reguardless of who created it. I don't see it being any different.

19. one1 macrumors 65816

For everyone following the jailbreak scene, you'll note that most all of the devs have stopped producing apps and state they are waiting on the SDK. This means that Apple has succeeded in taking the apps they were not getting a cut of and let greed do the job for them by offering a chance for freeware devs to make some cash and apple to lock out the "better" developers from the jailbreak scene.

Apple knows money talks and they have used it to pull the best devs out of the scene and make it cost you money to achieve the same output as you were getting free to begin with.

You are in essence excited about your own funeral. The good free apps are now going to cost from the same devs. I've donated to them, by my own free will.

20. Alphy macrumors member

What's wrong with people getting paid for their work? I mean, you really have to be a cheapass to buy a $299 iPod touch or an even more expensive iPhone, and not dish out $5 or so for an app you like.

21. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Uh...It's called business!
    Apple is there to make money.

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The quality alone would make these apps worth paying for. They will be more functional as well because the developers are getting paid for their efforts.

23. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

My guess is that we will see free widgets like white pages, yellow pages, sports ticker, and possibly a game. Apps like Facebook (Tentative) and possibly IM will cost a few bucks. Apple will definitely do what they do with widgets, though. They will go over the apps to see that they are only gonna help the iPhone, not hurt it. (I'm thinking of their "Made for iPod" sanctioned sticker, but "Apple Approved Application" instead.)

24. one1 macrumors 65816

Uh... there's a lot more at stake than money.

25. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Like what?

Apple is there as a business to create a product that sells better than the competion so they can "make money." If they hire the "best Devs" they aren't taking them from any scene. If the "best devs" decide to work for Apple then they choose to do so for their own personal benefit (money). What they choose to do with the money is their own business. Maybe they will feed their families, feed the homeless or creat their own dev business. Reguardless, it is all business and the bottom line of a business is to make money. Otherwise, they go out of business...