Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's debut of the new third-generation iPhone SE at its spring "Peek Performance" event, Apple has dropped the previous second-generation iPhone SE from its lineup on the online Apple Store, which means the cheapest new iPhone Apple offers has gone up in price.

iphone-se-2020-top.jpeg

The old iPhone SE 2 featured an A13 Bionic chip, 3GB RAM, and a low starting price of $399. It came in white, black, and red, and was offered with 64GB or 128GB of storage.

By contrast, the new iPhone SE 3 features the A15 Bionic processor - the same chip found in the iPhone 13 series – as well as improved battery life, a new 12MP Wide camera system, and 5G connectivity (although not the fastest mmWave). As a result, pricing for the new model starts at $429, up $30 from the previous model, and is offered in the same three colors.

The new version of the iPhone SE also includes a new 256GB storage option not offered on the previous model, coming in at $579. The iPhone SE continues to be compatible with Qi-certified chargers for wireless charging, and also supports fast charging.

Preorders for the new iPhone SE 3 begin on Friday, March 11, with the first devices shipping on March 18.

Article Link: iPhone SE 2 Discontinued, iPhone SE 3 From $429 Now Apple's Cheapest iPhone

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
$429 unlocked and carrier pricing. Just checked.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I see how they can milk reluctant iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 8 users for that price.
But for the rest, no way, especially if you consider pricing outside of USA and lack of Apple trade-in programs in many countries.
Where I live this one will probably start at 499 euros at best, thats just too much for what it is. I know, its not apples to apples comparison, but for 500 euros one can get pretty decent Android phone with acceptable software upgrade time as well as considerably larger battery etc. For 150-250 euros more you can get iPhone 11/12mini/13mini on sale here and those, imho, are far better value than 500 euro for upgraded iPhone 8.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I see how they can milk reluctant iPhone 6, 6s, 7, 8 users for that price.
But for the rest, no way, especially if you consider pricing outside of USA and lack of Apple trade-in programs in many countries.
Where I live this one will probably start at 499 euros at best, thats just too much for what it is. I know, its not apples to apples comparison, but for 500 euros one can get pretty decent Android phone with acceptable software upgrade time as well as considerably larger battery etc. For 150-250 euros more you can get iPhone 11/12mini/13mini on sale here and those, imho, are far better value than 500 euro for upgraded iPhone 8.
As the owner of a 12 mini, I can unequivocally say that the new SE is a much better value than the 12 mini.

JLD94

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Texas
Slightly disappointed the higher price and not keeping 2nd gen around at lower price. I knew it was a long shot but would have been a nice surprise. I'm hoping to find a discounted SE 2 somewhere for a family member

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I upgraded from a 4S to the SE 2020 because I liked the size and price. I think this new SE is aimed at people like me with older phones and 1st time iPhone users like my grandkids. There is nothing in it to make me want to upgrade.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Apple247

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2021
It's a price increase of 7.5%. When you consider the rate of inflation since the SE 2 came out, has the price even really changed?

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I upgraded from a 4S to the SE 2020 because I liked the size and price. I think this new SE is aimed at people like me with older phones and 1st time iPhone users like my grandkids. There is nothing in it to make me want to upgrade.
Life’s short upgrade to the SE 2022 for 5G, more battery and more speed

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Too expensive. Nice processor but you can a much better overall package in the Android space for that kind of money.
Android doesn’t have the ecosystem is all. I’d buy it in a heartbeat to replace dads 8 if I could get it for $500. It’s a great phone if you get it at the $450 price.
I wouldn’t mind having it as a secondary phone either. Slap on some MagSafe rings at the back and you have a small phone with a15 & LCD & fake MagSafe.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I agree, It has been looking outdated since the iPhone 8 days.... As many Android phones have bigger, higher resolution displays with notches and hole punches for less than half the price of this "new" SE.

The problem is the “Android” part. If you want an iPhone, you want an iPhone. This is not the cheapest phone you can buy, it’s the cheapest iPhone you can buy.

TheMacPotato

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2006
London
You keep saying the price has increased. In the UK it hasn’t. It’s the same starting price as the previous SE: £419

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.