Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone!

I wanted to get your thoughts on this.

I currently have an iPhone SE. It’s been pretty alright since I didn’t go out much. But lately I’ve been going out a bit more and the battery on this thing is horrible. I love how light it is, but it’s died on me a few times out in the wild when I really needed it. It also tends to be a little sluggish sometimes. Nothing major, but noticeable enough.

Putting that aside, I’ve also been thinking of getting an iPad Mini. Mainly for person stuff, like watching TikToks, scrolling Instagram, and watching… other stuff 👀

I do have an iPad Pro, but I mainly use it for school and business and would rather not mix that with my personal interests. An iPad mini is also light enough for me to use with one hand to read when walking on a treadmill.

Anyway…

I’ve been debating on whether to spend money on the iPhone SE 2022 (because of the better battery and can handle more) and an iPad Mini, or wait and get the iPhone 14 Pro Max (better battery and pretty big enough that it almost seems like a mini tablet).

Your thoughts?

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I'm weighing buying an iPhone 13 PM now due to the deals that are currently available. Not sure if they will still be there when the iPhone 14 is available. Also, announcement is different than availability. Not sure if we will see new phones until Oct.

Reactions: arkitect

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
14 Max (not pro max) will be significantly lighter than the pro max but will have the same sized screen. It might just be the perfect iPad mini replacement. Use it with a loopy case and you can safely carry it on the treadmill or when walking outside

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi everyone!

I wanted to get your thoughts on this.

I currently have an iPhone SE. It’s been pretty alright since I didn’t go out much. But lately I’ve been going out a bit more and the battery on this thing is horrible. I love how light it is, but it’s died on me a few times out in the wild when I really needed it. It also tends to be a little sluggish sometimes. Nothing major, but noticeable enough.

Putting that aside, I’ve also been thinking of getting an iPad Mini. Mainly for person stuff, like watching TikToks, scrolling Instagram, and watching… other stuff 👀

I do have an iPad Pro, but I mainly use it for school and business and would rather not mix that with my personal interests. An iPad mini is also light enough for me to use with one hand to read when walking on a treadmill.

Anyway…

I’ve been debating on whether to spend money on the iPhone SE 2022 (because of the better battery and can handle more) and an iPad Mini, or wait and get the iPhone 14 Pro Max (better battery and pretty big enough that it almost seems like a mini tablet).

Your thoughts?
Have you considered an SE 2020? My carrier, T-Mobile, has them for $399 right now. I just bought my daughter one to replace her 6s (cracked screen, bad battery). My son also has an SE 2020.

Reactions: Javi74

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
I literally downgraded to an iphone SE from a 13Pro

why? wayyyy less stuff to break and I feel like the quality is higher on the SE design.

first the entire 13 pro is basically glass. even parts of the side are glass on the 13 the SE is all metal except the front and back.

also having touch ID is way better than Face-id.

The phone does not trap dirt in the gaps like the 13 Pro does but in fairness both phones have the display gap.

The metal on the SE does not trap fingerprints all over it

it's funny cause a 5 year old design seems to be way more refined then the new flat designs on the 12 and 13

I'll probably upgrade to the 14 when it comes out because it's a second gen design

TLDR wait for the 14

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
It sounds like you need the phone capabilities regardless… so I would weigh the importance of that with the size of the iPad mini and carrying that around as your primary phone device… the old SE needs to be replaced regardless… as its not 5G compatible… so it boils down to size you want/need for the phone. I am thinking only you can make that decision based on what you’re comfortable with carrying around for a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.