Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
To all my fellow SE devotees, I have to ask...are we getting concerned that we are at the end?

It would appear from the leaks and rumors over 2018 that perhaps there was a time when Apple was close to pulling the trigger on an SE2 of some variant and they decided against it.

It gets concerning when you couple that with what we hear about a "budget 6.1 inch phone", which likely is to address the foreign markets currently targeted by the SE and not doing great, where they want cheap but also big screens...

So..

Do we think we are cooked and there will never again be a sub iPhone X physical size new/updated iPhone model?

(or at least no time in the foreseeable future I mean)

Last edited:

AudreyHorne

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
I have used an iPhone SE since it came out, finding everything else to be too big, and just loving the classic feel and design of my 5s-esque baby. Still, this year I am jumping in the deep end and forgoing my small phone, for either size of the XS! I think it will ultimately be beautiful, as I think the reason why I’ve stuck with the SE is my resistance to change. If I can let go of that, and embrace a large phone, I believe I can be happy! I am so desperate for the telephoto lens!

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Yeah, I think we’re done. I do think we’ll see a budget “SE” phone, separate from the “budget” 6.1 phone mentioned above, that will be based on the iP7 manufacturing line. It will be even cheaper than the budget 6.1 phone.

Hope I’m wrong, though. :(

Good point I forgot about the whole budget iPhone 7 size thing…
I have absolutely no interest in that.

I sort of wonder who does and why they wouldn't just shove existing iP7/8's at any of those buyers.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Good point I forgot about the whole budget iPhone 7 size thing…
I have absolutely no interest in that.

I sort of wonder who does and why they wouldn't just shove existing iP7/8's at any of those buyers.

Because an iP7 is too “old” at this point to attract new customers. Just speculation, but a rebranded phone that is essentially an iP7 at a rock bottom budget price will target new and old users in the emerging countries.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Because an iP7 is too “old” at this point to attract new customers. Just speculation, but a rebranded phone that is essentially an iP7 at a rock bottom budget price will target new and old users in the emerging countries.

lol - fair point..

Old house...new coat of paint and sign on the door..

Suddenly marketable again..

Reactions: dcpmark

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
To me, SE indicates a swan song. iPhone SE is the best 4" form factor iPhone.

While 4" form factor makes a great deal of sense to one-handed loyalists, I think it's time to call it quit. Many apps, including built-in apps, look kinda ridiculous on 4" screen.

iPhone SE came out 6 months after iPhone 6S, or 18 months into 4.7" form factor.

Next spring marks 3 year anniversary of iPhone SE, when 5.8" form factor would approach 18 months.

So it's logical to expect SE2 to be based on 4.7" form factor.

On the other hand, Apple can sell iPhone 8 at $500-550 and iPhone 7 at $400-450 and be done with SE branding. But the feature difference between iPhone 7 and 8 (A11, Qi charging, True Tone) are too minor for folks not interested in getting the latest iPhone.

So it seems logical for Apple to merge iPhone 7 and iPhone 8, downgrade components a bit (e.g., LCD) and call it iPhone SE2.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
To all my fellow SE devotees, I have to ask...are we getting concerned that we are at the end?

It would appear from the leaks and rumors over 2018 that perhaps there was a time when Apple was close to pulling the trigger on an SE2 of some variant and they decided against it.

It gets concerning when you couple that with what we hear about a "budget 6.1 inch phone", which likely is to address the foreign markets currently targeted by the SE and not doing great, where they want cheap but also big screens...

So..

Do we think we are cooked and there will never again be a sub iPhone X physical size new/updated iPhone model?

(or at least no time in the foreseeable future I mean)
Sadly, I believe the SE in the form-factor that we know and love has come to an end. It will probably continue to sell, unchanged, for quite some time, but I don't think we'll see something with a similar form-factor and upgraded internals.

There are too many aspects of the current SE that go against the Apple grain... headphone jack, crazy battery life (at least until the battery starts to fade), tried-and-true design that has stood the test of time, price/value.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Sadly, I believe the SE in the form-factor that we know and love has come to an end. It will probably continue to sell, unchanged, for quite some time, but I don't think we'll see something with a similar form-factor and upgraded internals.
One of the often debated questions is whether iPhone SE is popular due to its portability and classic design OR whether it is value priced.

4" loyalists have many valid reasons for preferring SE: easier to use one handed, more grippy, beautiful classic design, and so on.

But at the same time, if you are looking to purchase cheapest iPhone, SE is the cheapest at $350 (vs. $450 for iPhone 6S that Apple still sells).

In India, iPhone 6 costs about the same as iPhone SE and despite its more outdated internals, 6 outsells SE by around 2-to-1 margin.

In the US, iPhone 6S is the cheapest 4.7" model, retailing at $450. Hypothetically, if Apple offers both 4.7" and 4" iPhone SE models at the same exact price, I don't think 4" would be nearly as popular as loyalists would like to believe. I believe a vast majority purchase SE for one thing: price.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
In the US, iPhone 6S is the cheapest 4.7" model, retailing at $450. Hypothetically, if Apple offers both 4.7" and 4" iPhone SE models at the same exact price, I don't think 4" would be nearly as popular as loyalists would like to believe. I believe a vast majority purchase SE for one thing: price.

Good points and interesting thoughts..

I'd be pretty fascinated to see how it would go if they offered a 4.5"-ish physically sized phone in the style of the X (edge to edge, latest internals, etc)..

It's never a fair comparison for the SE as it's now more than just choosing a size choice...you now have to accept very outdated internals too.

Reactions: splitpea

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
If they don’t release an updated SE March 2019, then I’d say it’s done.

Yeah, that's my take too. The SE was released about 6 months after the "main" models the last couple of times (with update), so I may hold out hope until then.

TBH, I don't really need an updated SE. I'd like a smaller version of the new ones - slimmer form factor, other goodies, etc. I just don't like the larger sizes.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
TBH, I don't really need an updated SE. I'd like a smaller version of the new ones - slimmer form factor, other goodies, etc. I just don't like the larger sizes.

Me too… I’m just really concerned because their version of the “smallest” continues to get bigger…

In the upcoming lineup, the current X is going to be the smallest “new” phone, which itself is already bigger than the iPhone 8

I mean seriously… Does everybody need to have a phablet?
This is completely ridiculous…

Apple is turning into a hardware store that only sells large jackhammers
How about some smaller tools for those of us with different needs?

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
SE as it is designed now might see its end soon. But I don't think the size is dead.
We're too many who wants a smaller phone. If Apple don't recognize that, f*** them.
I'll move to Android. That's it.

I mean seriously… Does everybody have to have a phablet?
This is completely ridiculous…
Agree totally.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
What android phone has a 4 inch screen and the SE form factor?

Yeah, the last I checked around, the smallest premium Android was the Sony XZ2 Compact, which was only slightly smaller than the iP8 and much thicker.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
SE as it is designed now might see its end soon. But I don't think the size is dead.
We're too many who wants a smaller phone. If Apple don't recognize that, f*** them.
I'll move to Android. That's it.

Agree totally.

LOL! Yes, that will teach Apple a lesson for sure!

Reactions: -Wolf- and EM2013

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If they don’t release an updated SE March 2019, then I’d say it’s done.

Agreed. All these conflicting rumors about the iPhone SE being updated in 2018 were frivolous, mainly because of where Apple is leading with phones today is very much different. If the SE ever is revamped, I doubt it will ever resemble what it once was and likely might even undertake a new title as well.

In The same respect, others should be grateful that Apple even offered an SE in the first place, considering that most smart phone manufactures have moved away from the 4 inch form factor and at that price the iPhone SE started at.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Exactly. As much as we all loved 3.5" and 4" iPhones, with superior ergonomics and one handed usability, the market clearly favors larger phones that can more effectively double as a casual use computer.

In fact, rumored 6.1" iPhone represent the average screen size on Android phones.

I think $350 4.7" iPhone will outsell $350 4" iPhone by a wide margin and I speak as someone with very fond memory of iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S.

Reactions: -Wolf-

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Exactly. As much as we all loved 3.5" and 4" iPhones, with superior ergonomics and one handed usability, the market clearly favors larger phones that can more effectively double as a casual use computer.

In fact, rumored 6.1" iPhone represent the average screen size on Android phones.

I think $350 4.7" iPhone will outsell $350 4" iPhone by a wide margin and I speak as someone with very fond memory of iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S.

Outstanding post. I completely agree with you. The iPhone SE will always will be a landmark for where the iPhone once was why in its current 4” form factor and granted Apple did revive it with the A9 processor in March 2016, but I truly believe it was a one time offering making it an affordable entry-level device, and not just for the consumer wanting a smaller device, but for emerging markets across the world as well.

But the current market has seemingly has spoken otherwise, where smart phones have exponentially grown in size and it seems the consumernis comfortable with those changes over the years, where they want the larger display and battery primarily, and everything else is just bonus features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.