Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Four months after Apple stopped selling the iPhone SE, the beloved device has made a sudden return to Apple's online store.

iphone-se-unlocked-800x507.jpg

Apple is offering the iPhone SE with 32GB of storage for $249 and with 128GB of storage for $299 on its clearance store in the United States. These are brand new, unopened, and unlocked models with unchanged tech specs, including a 4-inch Retina display, A9 chip, Touch ID, and 12-megapixel rear camera.

Prior to being pulled, the iPhone SE was available with 32GB and 128GB of storage for $349 and $449 respectively, so Apple is offering $100 to $150 off. The device was originally released in March 2016 and was popular among fans of smaller smartphones and those who preferred the iPhone 5-like design.

It's unclear why Apple is selling the iPhone SE again, but it would appear to be clearing out stock. The iPhone SE remains on sale at select authorized resellers, as reflected on Apple's compare iPhone models page when the iPhone SE is selected.

iphone-se-clearance-800x532.jpg

Of course, with Apple recently lowering its revenue guidance for the quarter just ended due to fewer iPhone upgrades than it anticipated, speculation will certainly mount that Apple is doing everything it can to boost iPhone sales.

While many customers have hoped for a so-called iPhone SE 2, with some rumors suggesting one was in the works, oft-accurate Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo cast doubt on the possibility of a new iPhone SE last year. And in July of last year, one research firm said Apple abandoned its plans for a new iPhone SE.

Apple is offering the iPhone SE in Silver, Space Gray, Gold, and Rose Gold, with delivery or in-store pickup available by next week.

As of now, this appears to be U.S. only.

Update: iPhone SE stock is sold out as of Sunday morning.

Update 1/23: Apple has additional iPhone SE models in stock as of Wednesday afternoon, but available supply may sell out quickly.

Article Link: Apple Begins Selling iPhone SE Again on Clearance Store, Starting at $249 Brand New [Back in Stock]

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Desperate times... No, actually, it's still a great little phone. Now they need to take the XR design, shrink it down to around the SE size, and watch how many people buy it. I'm not a small phone person but I think there's a big enough market to justify an SE2. I actually think if they stuffed the A11 processor, upgraded camera, added an upgraded display to wide gamut, they could sell this thing fro $400-$450 all day.

Shoot at that price, I'm nearly tempted to pick up a 128GB.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I went from a iPhone 6s Plus to the SE due to me misjudging how much I would like a larger screen. The 6s Plus was just too be for me and impossible to use one handed.

I also didn't care for 3D Touch and found it to be annoying, especially during one-handed use.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone else think this move is strange?

I can't remember another time that Apple discontinued a device, then months later, start to sell it again as clearance.

They actually still listed it on their site, fairly hidden, as 'available from selected resellers' even when they 'discontinued' it (did Apple ever use that word, I don't recall seeing it).

I bought my second iPhone SE not long ago for actually a bit less than Apple is selling these.

Reactions: Sasparilla and V.K.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Desperate times... No, actually, it's still a great little phone. Now they need to take the XR design, shrink it down to around the SE size, and watch how many people buy it. I'm not a small phone person but I think there's a big enough market to justify an SE2. I actually think if they stuffed the A11 processor, upgraded camera, added an upgraded display to wide gamut, they could sell this thing fro $400-$450 all day.

Shoot at that price, I'm nearly tempted to pick up a 128GB.

I think if they made an SE replacement that could provide the same 4.7” display as the old standard iPhone, I would buy it for sure. The text on the SE’s screen is too small for my eyes, but the 4.7” iPhone gets by just fine.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
They actually still listed it on their site, fairly hidden, as 'available from selected resellers' even when they 'discontinued' it (did Apple ever use that word, I don't recall seeing it).

Okay...

I thought I remember a MR article stating that Apple was officially discontinuing the SE... Maybe it didn't happen.

Reactions: amerikenny

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Okay...

I thought I remember a MR article stating that Apple was officially discontinuing the SE... Maybe it didn't happen.

Yes, I know various blogs and sites used the word 'discontinued' but I don't recall Apple themselves doing so. I could be wrong.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Anyone else think this move is strange?

I can't remember another time that Apple discontinued a device, then months later, start to sell it again as clearance.

I bought my second iPhone SE not long ago for actually a bit less than Apple is selling these.

Okay...

Yes, I know various blogs and sites used the word 'discontinued' but I don't recall Apple themselves doing so. I could be wrong.

Thanks, I could have sworn I remembered this.

Reactions: Reindeer_Games
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.