iPhone SE exists because:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreenWolf, Mar 22, 2016.

1. GreenWolf macrumors newbie

Come September they should of started offering iPhone 6's for £350, going by their pricing strategy for the last however many years. The year old phone drops from around £550 to £450. The 2 year old phone becomes £350. Now they don't have to do this and can offer the slightly updated 3 year old phone for the 2 year old price! Those in marking HQ are genius!

They are simply cheaping out because they don't want to give you a bigger screen for the price.

Small token offering of a better camera is alright though.

Thoughts?

2. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

The SE exists because a large number of people want a smaller iPhone and are willing to compromise on screensize to get that.

3. bransoj macrumors 6502a

They are giving folk who want one a smaller screen\phone for the smaller price.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

It's partially true. Of course they don't want to offer an iPhone 6 at $450. They know a large portion of people only care about a large-enough screen and not anything else in the phone. The SE avoids that problem.

5. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I bought an iPhone 6 a year ago, but I returned it two days later. Too big, slippery and hard to use one handed. I don't need a giant screen if it compromises usability. Can't wait for the SE :)

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's all to do with Rett syndrome. I'm convinced!

7. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

1. Clearly there is demand for small form factor smartphone. Not everyone are willing to deal with large screen. So Apple is simply respond that demand. But 5SE to me is Apple's lazy way to respond that demand.

2. Apple is clearly tap into mid range smartphone market. As iPhone's sale start slowing down, Apple need give consumers more incentive to buy iPhone. Clearly, you never seen $399 new iPhone. $399 is also where most middle tired Android phone at, excluding those Chinese offering (like Oppo, OnePlus One or Huawei). Clearly Apple is trying to use price as weapon for attract more Android switcher.

3. Since there is demand and Apple can do it relative cheaply by recycling components, Apple can do it fairly quickly and price it at lower than normal pricing. So it is making sense for Apple to do that.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, people have been clamoring for that form factor, the sales of the 5s is still significant and others are still holding on to their old phones.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I upgraded to the 6s just a while back from a 5s
    Now I am thinking I wish I had waited
    I really like the idea of the SE and it would have been perfect for me

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This X 1 million. They opened the iPhone part up by mentioning that over 30% of people on IOS are still using a 4" screen or smaller.

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Slightly upgraded 5s? The only thing that really matters is current spec.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Slightly?

I think that's an understatement. Except for the display and force touch, its using just about all of the components of the 6s,

13. BeeGood, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

What's "lazy" about what Apple is doing? They're going after additional market share while simultaneously appeasing an existing segment of their customer base.

Sounds more like "being smart" to me.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why is that the only thing matters? To many typical users most of that doesn't matter that much.

15. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

The only reason it exists is because Apple heard the (rather vocal) feed back from their customers: that being that people wanted smaller phones and were pretty upset about the increasingly bigger and bigger iPhones that lacked grace in terms of design.

My only gripe is that it's a re-hashed and recycled design from the iPhone 5S. They could have designed a new phone, in my opinion. But kept it small.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Designing new phone would mean higher costs, which wouldn't allow for a smaller price tag that this phone has.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple's cheaper iPhone model now lags behind the flagship by 6 months instead of 12 months.

I don't see how anyone can see that as anything other than a positive development.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It is a faster phone (faster then the 5s), so that's a plus, and the camera is on par with the 6s (the back camera). I understand there had to be difficult choices made on a non-flagship model that is priced so much cheaper then the 6s.

The more I look into what it does and doesn't have, the less I like it.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2016 ---
    A correction, I am now starting to agree to the slightly comment, as I start to do a deeper dive into the SE, I'm seeing some omissions that negatively impact my needs or wants in an iPhone.

19. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Even at that price? I don't know man, I feel like Apple knocked it out of the park and made the correct compromises. I don't necessarily like what's missing (3D touch, improved front camera specifically) but I get it, unlike other phones that were missing things for no reason (5c...cough cough).

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I don't understand why they omitted some items from the phone, I think it's been made clear to Apple that people want a smaller iPhone 6S, that equals all the features of their larger flagship.

I will consider one of these if my 5s starts to feel much slower. I do often pop the sim out of my 6S, and cary my 5S when pocket space is at a premium. When shooting trackside, I don't often have time to run back to the media room / hotel / car, and at times like that, every spare CM of space counts.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It exists because while they had record sales of the 6/6S a lot of those were driven by people switching from Android rather than upgrading their old iPhone. Apple wants to keep their current customers that like a small phone.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I guess my perspective is that the alternate plan was to just put 5S internals into the 5C this year.

Compared to that I see this as a much better option.

23. ascender macrumors 68000

I think they got it pretty much spot on to be honest. There's some functionality missing compared to the latest larger models, but are any of them really killer features? I'd argue not and the sales figures speak for themselves - I think the SE will sell by the bucketload and will tempt some iPhone 6/S users to "downgrade". I really like the iPhone 6, but I'll be honest, I've still never really got used to the size of it and do miss being able to use it comfortably with one hand.

24. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Apple sold 30 million 4" phones in 2015 even though those phones are now at least 2 1/2 years old. That is why the iphone SE exists.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd agree that they knocked it out of the park, and compromises had to be made. The question is, does the SE have enough pros to justify the purchase over some the cons? That sort of question is personal, as well have different needs and wants.