Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cola79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
i bought my SE one week after it was aviable at the shops.

Now, after less than 2 years the battery health has already sunk to 86% according to the battery life app.

On average i charge my battery every two days, i don’t play games or such, just calls, safari and email/whatsapp.

My 4s that i used before had over 94% after 4 years.

I am really disappointed that apple has gone down in battery quality so drastically.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Now, after less than 2 years the battery health has already sunk to 86% according to the battery life app.
Which battery app are you using?
Try using Coconut Battery. Download it on your computer/laptop then connect your phone to your laptop.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Which battery app are you using?
Try using Coconut Battery. Download it on your computer/laptop then connect your phone to your laptop.

Not everyone has a MacBook.
[doublepost=1515279553][/doublepost]

On average i charge my battery every two days, i don’t play games or such, just calls, safari and email/whatsapp.

I am really disappointed that apple has gone down in battery quality so drastically.

You used your phone for close to 2 years and now the battery is at 86% and you complain about it. You still get 2 days of battery life, so what's the complain exactly about?

Reactions: tonybarnaby

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Not everyone has a MacBook.
If you dont have a Mac, you can do a quick chat with Apple Support and they can check your battery status remotely. Thats how I use to check my battery status on my 4

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
If you dont have a Mac, you can do a quick chat with Apple Support and they can check your battery status remotely. Thats how I use to check my battery status on my 4

Or iBackupBot on windows (and mac).

Apple's diagnostics is very lax IMHO. I have seen batteries that show low 70s high 60s on coconut battery pass Apple's tests.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
You used your phone for close to 2 years and now the battery is at 86% and you complain about it. You still get 2 days of battery life, so what's the complain exactly about?
According to OP's light use of the phone, 86% isn't too well. My mothers iPhone 4s had 88% wear level after she used it for 3.5 years. She was a light user like OP.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
According to OP's light use of the phone, 86% isn't too well. My mothers iPhone 4s had 88% wear level after she used it for 3.5 years. She was a light user like OP.

cycles matter too. Batteries dont age linearly. The rate of degradation is not constant with every battery. for eg . If you are in cold or hot weather, your batteries will degrade faster.

The point is OP is still getting 2 days of battery life, which is not all that bad. He can get it checked out by Apple if he thinks something is wrong.

Reactions: bruinsrme

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I really don't see anything to complain about 86% with almost 2 years of battery usage on your iPhone SE. Doesn't seem entirely abnormal to me pending your usage and charging sequences.

Disagree. I don't think Apples battery quality "Has gone down drastically". More so, when I owned the iPhone SE, it was one of the strongest iPhones I owned that had excellent battery life.

And on a sidenote, having used Apple's products throughout their entire lineup, the battery life has been more than impressive through various devices with the AirPods, Apple Watch, iPad and iPhone line up. Partly due to the way iOS is managed as well.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I agree with Relentless Power, all my iPhones have had excellent battery life. All had over 90% capacity after 2 yrs of use. My X has been getting 8hrs of use with 25-30% remaining which I think is outstanding. To the OP, if your getting 2 days between charges I think your doing better than average.

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
My 4 year old iPhone 5s has just over 1000 charge cycles and 86% battery capacity left according to coconutBattery. Gives me 5 hours of use on average.

You charge your battery on average every two days? That sounds pretty good actually. You need to check your total hours of use between charges though.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Disagree. Although mine has almost your same level of wear... My 5SE lasts up to 2.5 days on a single charge. Mind you, this is a work given phone.

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
after 2 years your battery is pretty good; most users i know from all phone manufacturers have trouble with battery; I never have; my SE is 2 yr old and I charge it usually every second day; but I do not have many apps nor do i use it for heavy use such as video games and what not;; i do on occasion but no heavy usage

if you update to latest software that is a common culprit of battery killer (no matter what they tell you)

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Disagree. Although mine has almost your same level of wear... My 5SE lasts up to 2.5 days on a single charge. Mind you, this is a work given phone.

I cringe everytime someone calls it a "5SE". It's a SE, not 5SE .

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Or iBackupBot on windows (and mac).

Apple's diagnostics is very lax IMHO. I have seen batteries that show low 70s high 60s on coconut battery pass Apple's tests.
Ibackupbot is not accurate. They use the closest 100mAh to estimate remaining health. Coconut reads the battery hardware for a real time, accurate reading.

As to Apple’s diagnotistic. They use a two week average of the mAh to determine if it’s healthy or not. So if your battery has failed within the last two weeks. Or seriously gone down hill, the diagnostic will not pick it up.

They use the average because battery capacity can fluctuate 20% in a day depending on load, temp and if it’s charging or not. When one is checking the battery health, you should only do it when it’s fully charged and the temp of the device is room temp. This gives the most accurate reading.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
+1 for nothing unusual. This is after around 360 charging cycles. Textbook degradation. It comes with the territory on mobile devices. 86% is still alright. Yes, Apple's battery replacement is pricey but I will be having it done with my SE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.