'iPhone SE Plus' Concept Imagines Bezel-Free Compact Device With 4.7-Inch Display

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone SE, introduced in March of 2016, is the sole device that the company continues to sell in a smaller 4-inch form factor.

The iPhone SE wasn't updated in September alongside the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, and there are no real rumors hinting at an imminent refresh, but that hasn't stopped designers from Curved.de from imagining what an iPhone SE with an iPhone X makeover might look like.

Curved.de has mocked up an iPhone SE with the same general form factor as the existing iPhone SE, but with the elimination of the bezels, it has a larger 4.7-inch display.

Like the iPhone X, the imaginary iPhone SE features an OLED display and a TrueDepth front-facing camera with accompanying notch. The iPhone X only features a black front-facing panel, but Curved.de's iPhone SE is depicted in multiple colors, some with a white front panel. Curved.de also imagines aluminum back, a dual rear camera, and rounder edges.

While it's fun to imagine these changes in the iPhone SE, in reality, it's not clear what Apple's plans are for its 4-inch device.

There's been a questionable rumor suggesting Apple supplier Wistron is gearing up to manufacture a next-generation iPhone SE set to begin shipping in the first quarter of 2018 and an entirely unverified rumor that suggests the next model will have an A10 chip, 2GB RAM, a 12-megapixel rear camera and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera, but we have not heard any information about a new iPhone SE from a reliable source at this point.

Whether or not Apple plans to introduce another version of the 4-inch phone or stick to larger sizes going forward remains to be seen.

Article Link: 'iPhone SE Plus' Concept Imagines Bezel-Free Compact Device With 4.7-Inch Display
  2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2016
    It would make sense if the supposedly shelved 5.28” OLED iPhone filled this category (possibly replacing the SE), considering the smaller bezels and aspect ratio.

The fact that they may not be going ahead with it is baffling, there is a market of both SE and 4.7” users that would go for a phone in this category.
  3. Ben2998 macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2015
    Not only I would buy that, I would wait in line in front on an Apple Store to be the first at the condition that it’s priced appropriately.
  4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    I would like to see the iPhone SE revamped in 2018. One of Apples best iPhones that's released in the last two years was the iPhone SE. Affordable and has outstanding battery life in a compact form factor.
  5. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Apr 2, 2008
    New York.
    I’m assuming the SE will be on a 2 year refresh cycle. Expect a Blush Gold iPhone X and updated SE in March/April 2018.

You heard it hear first. :)
  6. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2008
    I think this concept misses the point of the iPhone SE...
  7. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

Dec 8, 2015
    This size? YESSSSS
    This design / these colors exactly? No
  8. JasonQG macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2011
    If this was sitting on the shelf next to the X, even if it cost hundreds more, I would buy this.
  9. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Nov 19, 2013
  10. mondaiguy macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2010
    I will rock the iPhone SE until they update it. Period.
  11. rp2011 macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2010
    Too late for the SE. The cellular Watch has already taken that spot for many, me for one. It’s only going to get better with each iteration making the idea of an SE moot.
    ....well at least for those of us who like to own a big phone along with an SE.
    And the X fits the bill for the general purpose sized phone now.
  12. needfx macrumors 68040

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
    I also liked the track and asked under the video on youtube.
    If anyone here knows about it, please be so kind to share.
  13. Lioness~ macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2017
    Gothenburg, Sweden

This is my new SE!

See what happens 2018 for little warrior SE :D
  14. Dissonance macrumors member

Nov 22, 2007
    Boston, MA
  15. neliason macrumors regular

Oct 1, 2015
    Personally I don't mind bezels. I put my phone in a case. And my fingers sometimes curve around the screen. I also am not excited about glass. Glass breaks too easy. And, again, I put my phone in a case. I do like wireless charging. But I don't like it so much that I embrace glass.

I have an SE and I love it. I love it for the size. And I love it for the price. I've started to come to the conclusion having a $1000 item that is easily breakable which you casually pull out of a pocket while walking around on concrete isn't the greatest idea.
  16. TheRealTVGuy macrumors 6502a

Jul 21, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    If this thing were real, and had the same processor and rear camera of the X, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

I don’t understand why those of us who love this form factor have to settle for older, weaker, slower specs and miss out on certain features.
  17. seanmcbay macrumors member

Oct 9, 2009
    I would buy this if it had the portrait camera. I really want Apple to include that in their smaller phones.
  18. TheRealTVGuy macrumors 6502a

Jul 21, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Then where do you propose the sensors and front camera be located?
  19. GADify macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2017
    I want that. Apple - PLEASE make this!

I just upgraded from a 5S to an 8 and while my eyes love the bigger screen my hands hate the bigger device.
  20. jbsiii macrumors newbie

Nov 22, 2014
    La Jolla, CA
    The SE form factor is perfect for lots of folks. The addition of a bezel-less design would make a great phone even better.
  21. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2007
    Never understood posting articles around non-existent devices. This isn’t front page news, it’s not news at all.
  22. Lioness~ macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2017
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    It’s definitely not news, it’s rumours, you are at MacRumors :p
  23. cbaca51 macrumors member

Sep 11, 2016
    The 5/5s/SE body is so overrated. The iPhone 6 and beyond are way better

It's not the best version of the phone
  24. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2011
    New Zealand
    That's exactly what I was thinking! What's the point of having a 4" phone if you're only gonna imagine it larger??

Apple have already moved on from that design lineage, and it's unlikely they'll go back to it. The SE is a reminder of the better days of Apple.