iPhone SE price drop after iPhone 7 announcement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FrozenInferno, Sep 3, 2016.

1. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

Does anybody expect the iPhone SE to get a price drop in the very near future, or do you think the prices will hold steady at least into the spring given its seperate timeline from the flagships?

2. Math889 macrumors 65816

3. ErnstStavroBlohard macrumors member

Nope.

SE doesn't directly compete with the flagships.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

It's like 6 months old. It's not getting a price cut.

6. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

My guess is that it is still appropriately priced, no price reduction.

7. Math889 macrumors 65816

Probably IPhone 6 will be dropped from the line up-

I predict -7 ,7 plus , 6s, 6s Plus, iPhone SE

8. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Unlikely considering how relatively new it is. Like poster above pointed out, I think the 6 and 6+ will be dropped, the 6S and 6S+ will cost as much as the 6 today, and the 7 as well as the 7+ will cost just like most new iPhones. Unless the 6 happens to stay alive but seriously Apple please don't do that.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Yes, its 6mo old and has some real power inside. But in many areas its several years old.

- 2012 quality screen
    - No Force Touch
    - Old TouchID
    - 1.2MP Facetime Camera
    - 16GB Entry Point
    - And of course... a headphone jack. Who needs that. :D

I'm not saying its a bad phone. I just sold mine and, while its an impressive device, it definitely isn't a modern one. So dropping the price isn't that crazy.

10. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

The price is already super-low, relatively speaking of course (oh and not in Canada btw). I feel like a price cut is unlikely at this point. I don't think there ever was a $400 iPhone by Apple before. But you're right. I do think they should make better specs even for something not that expensive.

11. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

None of that has anything to do with dropping the price though. The only reason you drop the price of a 6 month old product is if you're not selling any. The SE is selling alright I assume, since I haven't seen or heard anything that suggests otherwise, why would they start selling it for less?

12. FrozenInferno thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in Canada, and need the 64Gb model, so with the 15% tax rate in my province I'm looking at around $800 if I was to buy one outright. Still a few hundred cheaper than a comparable (aka NOT 16GB) 6S for sure.

13. urkel macrumors 68030

I dont disagree. The Macbook Air and Mac Mini have embarrassingly outdated specs yet the price doesnt change. So why would they discount a product that sells.

But still. In today's market then $400 does feel like a lot for a phone who's primary selling point is that it is nostalgic. (And again. Not arguing. I had an SE and it was kinda fun to go back there (for a little). But I think the 4" market deserves a much better product than this)

14. Math889 macrumors 65816

iPhone 6 has 1 GB of RAM. That alone is the reason to kill it.Just 2GB IPhones
    will stay in the line up. Next year , we will probably see a RAM upgrade , they already took too long to increase the RAM, so they won't increase this year . Expect a huge performance bump next year.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

The problem is that the 4" market is now something of a niche market. No company is going to put everything they've got into a 4" device and treat it like a flagship anymore.

16. Math889 macrumors 65816

I still prefer iPhone 5 design. Is the best. I hate 6 design .
    --- Post Merged, Sep 3, 2016 ---
    I would Stick with my previous IPhone 5 if they didn't release the SE

17. willmtaylor, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm not sure I agree, but it probably depends on one's definition of "niche."

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Not the majority. Not where the most profit can be made. Not saying there's not still a market there, but it's not like it was in say 2011.

If this wasn't the case, everyone would still be offering 4" flagships. Now, even budget phones and ones labelled as "mini" are never smaller than 4.5". Apple is the only company that even offers a high-end flagship as small as 4.7". 5" is pretty much the standard, though thanks to large top and bottom bezels Apple's 4.7" phones are about the size as others' 5".

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Sounds reasonable to me.

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I don't know that it's either reasonable or unreasonable. It's just the way the market has shifted. People do more on their phones, so larger displays are more practical for most people, but some still value easy one handed use above all else.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Being the SE is another iPhone in its own and not in the flagship line, in addition to the low price it's currently at, it will be priced the same.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This

23. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

I am more wanted to know if Apple will bump base storage for all iPhone line up.

The rumours pretty much confirmed that 32GB will be base storage for iPhone 7(where are the people yelling 16GB is enough? That is slap in the face). Wondering if iPhone 6S and SE will also see base storage bump to 32GB
    --- Post Merged, Sep 3, 2016 ---
    399 for 16GB is not low price. Though I still brought SE.

24. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Even if people feel that way, why would they yell that? Sure, 16GB is enough for many people and businesses, but that doesn't mean they're going to complain about an increase.

If it's a slap in the face, upgrade and don't get slapped. These assertions were always humorous to me.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's low enough where customers have paid outright for the Phone, being its the cheapest iPhone in Apple's line up. That was my point.