iPhone SE water resistant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CashDude, Mar 25, 2016.

1. CashDude macrumors regular

Does anyone know yet if the iPhone SE will have water resistant electronics similar to the iPhone 6S?

2. Sea Bass macrumors regular

Sea Bass

Apple has said nothing regarding water resistance.

We won't know until the SE is in someone's hands and they test it for water resistance.

3. CashDude thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I figured Apple wouldn't mention it since they didn't with the 6S. I'll be anxiously awaiting the teardown. If it is water resistant, I'm all over it.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The body is identical to the 5/5(S). = No.
    Apple mentioned nothing about it. = No.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

To be fair the same could be said about the 6s (compared to the 6), yet tests seem to have shown it to be noticeably more water resistant.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

True enough for the latter point but not for the former.

7. 617aircav Suspended

If it was Apple would have said so.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, again, Apple didn't say anything in relation to that about the 6s and yet it's noticeably more water resistant than previous iPhones.

9. justiny Contributor

justiny

I agree. We've seen liquid dunk tests with the Apple Watch survive on YouTube but Apple won't acknowledge that feat. I believe Apple is hesitant on water resistance until they are 110% confident, if that ever happens at all.

Could you IMAGINE the public backlash and outcry of Apple releasing a "water resistant iPhone" and it fails all over the world?

I wonder what "-gate" that would be called.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Pretty much the only real "-gate" that actually existed and was tied to a scandal.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Apple will never admit it to be water resistant because the general public will take that as being water proof. Imagine the complaints they would get from people with water damaged phones trying to get warranty.

12. justiny Contributor

justiny

I was being facetious, but you got it. :cool:

13. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

But the real question is..... Will is blend? If it can survive the morning blended shake accident, then we have something.

14. 617aircav Suspended

Are saying they can be dumped in water?

15. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

Here is a link to a water test on a 6s and 6s plus. Over an hour dunked underwater, so I would conclude they are unofficially water resistant!

16. I7guy macrumors G5

The real question is: is it flame retardant? If you accidentally hit it with a blow torch will the phone survive?o_O

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

just wait for the iFixit teardown...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2016 ---
    Apple sealed the iPhone 6S, even if they didn't claim it to be water resistant.
    Maybe it was a real world test for the iPhone 7.

18. Neco1963 macrumors newbie

Neco1963

GOOD VIDEO

19. Charadis macrumors 6502a

If Apple wants to continue the trend into each new product since 6s/+, I would not be surprised.

The fact they've replaced the Apple logo with stainless steel one, like 6-series, and made the chamfered edges matte shows they are aiming for wear resistance from outside of casing, so who knows what other changes are made to add x-resistance from inside..

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like one of the recent posts in this thread demonstrates it.

21. mrex, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016

mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

sinking the phone under the water is quite pointless... air has difficulties to escape and water cant go inside without air escaping at the same time... also the surface tension and the cohesion plays significant role here..

it would be much interesting to see test results in a high humidity and testing the condensation too. or at least they should put the phone under water in a slight angle to help air to escape.

22. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

Here is a video link of an iPhone 6 getting blow torched. I doubt a 6s would do any better on a test like this, 7000 series aluminum or not, and probably not something you'd want to test on your personal phone!

23. I7guy macrumors G5

Pointless to you, interesting to me. I wouldn't do it. Why don't you do a proper video with your phone and test it out.:D

24. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

From Apple's perspective:

Quietly making its devices more water-resistant = customers take greater care of their stuff = fewer unhappy accidents/more happy customers = lower customer support costs + fewer debates over what constitutes a warranty-covered repair.

Claiming its devices are water-resistant = customers take less care of their stuff = customers unhappy that their devices weren't sufficiently water-resistant = more debates with customers about what constitutes a warranty-covered repair = fewer happy customers = higher customer turnover + higher customer support costs

Which choice would you make? (The same holds true if Apple starts using a more crack-resistant screen - the fewer up-front claims, the better - let word-of-mouth sell the feature

The fact that the SE uses essentially the same case as the 5s does not mean it would necessarily be less water resistant than the 6s. What happens inside the case is more important than the externals. I'm sure we'll have an ifixit tear-down soon enough.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

So basically don't 'em the shell of the phone is stronger, the camera lens is stronger, the gorilla glass is stronger, the home button is stronger, the water resistance of the phone has been improved....because if you do, more people will abuse the phones, satisfaction will go down and genius bar appts and warranty service will go up?

I'm not sure that's the way it really works, but ok.