iPhone Showing Fully Charged Icon in Corner When It Really Isn't

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bernie-Mac, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Does anyone else have this problem? My 3G iPhone is showing the fully charged icon in the corner when it really is not. Also I cant do that thing where you take a screenshot by holding down the home button and switching the silent button on/off. Anyone else with this issue?

2. beaken macrumors member

Screen shots are done by pressing the home key and on and off button up top not the silent button.

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

hold the home button down, then press the sleep wake button...

how do you know it isnt fully charged?

edit: beaken beat me to it... BAH!

4. Bernie-Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

oh my bad for the screenshot, but for the fully charged thing, when its charging on the lock screen the battery is about half full but the icon in the corner is giving the fully charged icon

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

6. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

have you tried rebooting the phone? if that doesnt work restore it like nick said...

If you still have a problem, 1-800-my-apple

7. Bernie-Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

I was trying to avoid a restore since the backup is going to take forever but i tried restarting and still nothing, oh well restore it is

8. jplan2008 macrumors regular

If you're talking about when it's plugged in, that icon in the corner isn't showing that it's fully charged, it's showing that it's chargING. (a white battery with some kind of line or x in the middle, can't remember exactly).

So, when it's plugged in, you need to look at the big battery with green/red. When it's unplugged, the small icon should then be more or less correct.

9. Bernie-Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

No, there are two icons in the corner, one with a lightning bolt looking thing in it indicating it is chargING and one with an plug looking thing indicating it is fully chargED

:edit: When i plug it into the wall charger I get the icon probelm but when i plug it into itunes it is fine, the same with my OG iphone with no service or anything......interesting...

10. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Hmmm ... not on mine (first gen) -- just lightening bolt and big battery icon in middle that you say is correct.

11. Bernie-Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

What firmware are you running? I think they changed it to that in some update like 1.1.3 or later or something

12. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Mine just did this. Corner icon showed full charge. Hit the top button, then home to start up again and was told I only had 10% charge, out of nowhere. All day it's shown a full charge in the upper right corner.

Now when I unplug it the battery icon on the top does reflect the same percentage shown when I plug it in, so I'm not sure what was wrong. I'm running the 3G iPhone with 5A347.

13. Bernie-Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

I took two pics with my camera, they are really crappy quality but you can kinda see the difference, the one on the left is for charging the one on the right is charged, if you notice the one on the right has low battery on the big icon but fully charged in the corner. This is only happening when i plug it in to the wall charger for some reason for both my 3G and 1st gen

Attached Files:

14. tobyg macrumors 6502a

This problem is not what I just had. Your seeing a full charge on the icon with a charge bolt in the middle. That's normal when charging.

My problem was my icon showed a full charge all day and then all of a sudden I was down to 10%.

15. Bernie-Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

No it is not normal, do you guys see the icon in the battery in the corner? Forget the fact that it is full, the one on the left is a lightning bolt, indicating it is charging. The one on the left is showing a plug icon in the battery which is supposed to indicate its fully charged, that is not happening with my iphones

16. matthiasgoodman macrumors member

matthiasgoodman

I have seen the same thing with my 8GB iPhone 3G on 5a347. I took it to the Apple store but they didn't know what I was talking about. I wasn't able to reproduce it there so the seemed not to believe me. I am having a hard time getting through the day this way.

BTW, it does charge correctly SOMETIMES with my wall charger and with my car charger (that the sold me at the Apple store, telling me my previous one probably just didn't work right). It seems to charge fine for a few minute and then go into this "fully charged" mode on the little battery icon but it still shows near empty on the lock screen. I can confirm that it doesn't not charge when in this "I think I am fully charged" state of mind. The batterry will go down in this mode, rapidly.

17. matthiasgoodman macrumors member

matthiasgoodman

I just got off of the phone with Apple support and they want me to go and change it out tomorrow at the Apple Store. We'll see if that works better.

18. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Mine doesn't seem to like charging on my computer (Shows the fully charged icon in the corner, but the battery is low), but fine in the wall outlet. Thinking about it though I was trying to charge on PC through a USB Hub on a External HDD, so that might be the problem.

19. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I had the opposite problem, it showed constantly empty, I charged and charged and didn't get fuller. Honestly I thought my computers USB port was broken...tried turning the phone off and on and it went to full.

20. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I also had this problem but found out it was my firewire charger. When plugged in with the firewire charger it would show the full icon, but it really wasn't charging at all. I then used the USB charger and all went well.

21. coohou macrumors newbie

I got the same problem...did anyone solve the problem? Please update it. Thanks![​IMG]

22. coohou macrumors newbie

did u solve the problem after that? Thanks!

23. ActionJax macrumors member

I know this is an ancient thread, but the iPhone 3G did not tolerate poor quality power supplies very well. If you were using a cheap wall charger with a poorly regulated output voltage, the iPhone 3G could show the "charged" icon when it shouldn't. This is because the iPhone thinks that it's done charging when in fact it just has an unstable input voltage. As one of the posts mentioned, the iPhone's battery is actually draining quickly when this failure happens.

I think this problem is unique to the iPhone 3G. I have not observed it with the iPhone 3GS. But this kind of failure is why it actually is smart to pay a little extra for a "Works with iPhone" or "Made for iPhone" charger.

24. hosierr macrumors newbie

I've experienced the same thing with my iphone 3G ( Shows fully charged icon in corner but when I unplug it it shows not fully charged). I have had this happen with all power supplies to include the standard power supply from apple.

I have found with mine that the phone get's hot for whatever reason then show's false fully charged icon. I unplug it and allow it t cool off. If I am in my truck I turn on the AC and hold it in front of the vent for about a minute then plug if back in and it charges fine. Removing it from the case speeds up this process for me. I hope this helps. :)

25. sabshire macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS does this too

From what I have found, it seems to happen like hosierr said. When it gets hot from extended use of network, or GPS, and it's plugged in, it does this. Confirmed that it's likely not a faulty iPhone when my wife's 3GS did the same thing on a recent trip. dropping out the network/gps intensive app, and let the phone cool, and it is back to normal.