Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Very nice, Im glad its out for free so people dont have to pay $100 to unlock their phones. Thats way high IMO.
Alot of steps though, I hope in the future they release a program that would do all those file copys and installation automaticly.

hevaKmaI

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Very nice, Im glad its out for free so people dont have to pay $100 to unlock their phones. Thats way high IMO.
Alot of steps though, I hope in the future they release a program that would do all those file copys and installation automaticly.

Heh.....give it a week or two, I'd be willing to bet you'd find it on installer.app.

ascham87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Heh.....give it a week or two, I'd be willing to bet you'd find it on installer.app.

I'd guess more like 1-2 days. This all came about in the matter of 18-24 hours, so it shouldn't take much longer for someone to make something really nice and user-friendly.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Sweet, they are doin great things with this phone and its still very new out there.
Imagine the stuff available in 6 months or a year down the road. :)

Did you get your Tmobile sim to work bro?
How long did it take? No probs so far?

it workS!!!!!

my life is complete.

I can't believe it happened so soon.

hevaKmaI

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
I wonder what all those resellers are thinking now. "Crap, we just wasted $2000" :D:apple:

Hah....just like all the ebayers right after the price drop, or that lady who bought the first spot in line on iPhone day for $800 only to find out she was limited to 1 phone.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Damn, I just bought 100 licences at $50 each :D
Lol
I was telling people to wait a little there will be a freeware out there instead of these pay companys.

I wonder what all those resellers are thinking now. "Crap, we just wasted $2000" :D:apple:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Too bad I can't even figure out how to jailbreak my phone using iNdependence. I should just wait for a friendly version to come out, but... I really want to be able to pop in my co-worker Al's T-Mobile SIM tomorrow and make a call!

ascham87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Just an update that comes via Engadget:
iPhone Dev Team's HaRRo is promising a GUI version in a few hours, so fingers crossed!

Keep holding on guys, by tomorrow anyone that wants an unlocked iPhone will have one with virtually no hard work involved. However, the amount of work that has gone into this from the dev team has been very great, please consider donating: iPhone Dev Team Donation Link.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Hell yeah, these guys did a great job.
I think people that will unlock their phones to be used in Canada, Europe or even here in the US with Tmobile should really kick in something to them.
Even if its not alot, $10-20 here and there would be well spend and deserved towards these bros.

iPhone Dev Team's HaRRo is promising a GUI version in a few hours, so fingers crossed!

Keep holding on guys, by tomorrow anyone that wants an unlocked iPhone will have one with virtually no hard work involved. However, the amount of work that has gone into this from the dev team has been very great, please consider donating: iPhone Dev Team Donation Link.

Congrats bro.

another confirmed unlocked iphone, right here :)

I dont think thats going to happen.
They got a 5 year deal with them, unless they want to buy them out but for what? To provide Tmobile service? I dont think that company is that big compared to AT&T or Verizon.

Apple is secretly helping out with these hacks, in hopes that enough unlocked iPhones will cause Apple to have a reason to break the contract with at&t in a friendly way. Saying "Look at what's happening to our product! The demand for it to be unlocked is huge, it is better for us to profit from this, then let it hurt at&t. So we want to sell a new version that's unlocked for $200 more and we will give you (at&t) that $200."

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Apple is secretly helping out with these hacks, in hopes that enough unlocked iPhones will cause Apple to have a reason to break the contract with at&t in a friendly way. Saying "Look at what's happening to our product! The demand for it to be unlocked is huge, it is better for us to profit from this, then let it hurt at&t. So we want to sell a new version that's unlocked for $200 more and we will give you (at&t) that $200."

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I'm definitely okay with waiting another 2-3 weeks. I want to make sure this app has no issues and completely unlocks the iPhone for sure. If not I'll probably just settle for T-Mo's BlackBerry Curve 8320 :)

ascham87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
another confirmed unlocked iphone, right here :)

If you mind, could you indulge us with what method/tutorial you used so that I can begin to clear some of the links out/streamline the post? Thanks! (Also for those wondering, I successfully unlocked it yet have no T-Mobile sim in order to test it! DOH!)

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Another mirror

Here's another mirror for iunlock-Contains-Files.rar

Noobs, please note that the included software is to be run on your iPhone, not on your Mac. Please, no "the file's got no extension" or "the software doesn't run" or "hey, it's a movie file, and VLC doesn't play it" posts. Thank you. ;-)

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2003
I'm definitely okay with waiting another 2-3 weeks. I want to make sure this app has no issues and completely unlocks the iPhone for sure. If not I'll probably just settle for T-Mo's BlackBerry Curve 8320 :)

I've done exactly 30 hardware unlocks. I just ran this software on a fresh phone; it is the real deal :apple:

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I have a question. Could i do this if i wanted to use the iphone as my ipod touch. Because i plan to eventually switch to At&T but not right now but i really want all the other non-phone functions now. Can it thus be undone, persay.

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California

For me the hard work is the exciting part. :) Doing my unlock right now, let's see what happens. Rogers, here I come!

cowm007

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
I got mine unlocked and working perfectly by following the tutorial at http://iphone.unlock.no

I can confirm the iPhone is working on the "Telcel" network in México.

Edit: I did it on a 1.02 iPhone, iTunes 7.4, and a MacBook. I just used App Tap Installer to install the OpenSSH and then used Transmit (via SFTP) to put the files in the correct places. I have an AT&T contract so I was activated before hand. I did follow the tutorial step-by-step though, including replacing the "lockdownd" file.

Edit 2: iTunes syncing works just fine. No issues with having a different SIM card in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.