Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple iPhone was seen at the CTIA Wireless 2007 trade show and caught the interest of Kevin Martin, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission. According to this news article:

"He spent more time with it than I did," Stephenson said in an interview afterward. For a minute, "It seemed like he wouldn't give it back," Stephenson joked.

AT&T's Chief Operating Officer demoed the device during his keynote speech.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
cute?

I guess that's nice and all, but wouldn't he (/would he) have had a chance to do anything he wants with it when the device was submitted to the FCC? Obviously the chairman doesn't look at/play with every device that comes in, but if he was that interested, he could have made the trip to the lab. Or maybe it was just one of those, "It's time to see what all the fuss is about" moments. Whatever, as long as he came out liking it!

Yahgo

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2006
Harrisonburg, VA
I work for a Wireless Company which almost all our SVPs, VPs and Directors are attending CTIA this week, however I just work in Marketing so I don't get to go, but never in the history of Wireless has a device (iPhone) changed the landscape so much. I love it, becuase I'm a huge Apple Fan and I was telling the VPs and Directors here about the iPhone long before it was launched that it would be a game changer not only in pushing wireless technology forward, but in the way the industry prices phones. In normal fashion they brushed it off as they normally do and focused only on new products coming from Motorola, Nokia, LG and Samsung. Here is why the iPhone will change the Wireless industry. If apple sells the iPhone for $499 and $599 it will be the only phone out there at is not subsidized (discounted). For example our company pays $249 for a Razr and we sell it to a customer for $39. The Motorola Q we pay $435 and turn about and sell it for $99. The most expensive Smartphone we sell is the Palm 700 which cost us $591 and then we turn around and sell it for $299. The Wireless Industry is about the only one that sells it's products to a customers for less then it paid for it. Now we do make it up in Monthly Service Charges :) . However, people are used to paying next to nothing for these phones because they don't know how much they really cost. As Apple has said, people pay nothing because they are worth nothing. Amen to that! Some phone we carry are not worth $400 or even $200. So if we see Customers paying $500 and $600 for the iPhone you can bet that Motorola, LG, Nokia and Samsung are going to pissed. These companies hate that we Service Providers discount their phone so much, because it makes them look worthless and their products worthless. For one I can't wait to see how the Industry changes due to the iPhone.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
New feature?

Just noticed on the photos from this event, that the home screen (with application icons) is showing on the phone, but that it has the clown fish image in the background - previously, we've only seen the home screen with a black background. Looks like it has customisable backgrounds (previously, I think we've only seen the locked screen and the phone application screen with customisable backgrounds.

Very minor point, I know :)

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I work for a Wireless Company which almost

just kidding :D

Well surely this is another good sign that not just Apple fanboys want it! Unless Kevin Martin already is an Apple fanboy :p.

If apple sells the iPhone for $499 and $599 it will be the only phone out there at is not subsidized (discounted).

Actually, Yahgo, the latest rumors say that there will be some sort of discount on the phone.

-=|Mgkwho

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Just noticed on the photos from this event, that the home screen (with application icons) is showing on the phone, but that it has the clown fish image in the background - previously, we've only seen the home screen with a black background. Looks like it has customisable backgrounds (previously, I think we've only seen the locked screen and the phone application screen with customisable backgrounds.

Very minor point, I know :)

What pictures are you talking about? Indeed, that is a new development from before.

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Just noticed on the photos from this event, that the home screen (with application icons) is showing on the phone, but that it has the clown fish image in the background - previously, we've only seen the home screen with a black background.

Excellent observation. It does appear that now the icon screen can/will have a darker, ghosted image of one's wallpaper behind it.

(Also, it appears the calender app was functional on this iPhone -- the accurate date of "27" can be seen -- unless of course they simply Photoshopped the correct date onto a static icon just for this presentation... 'cause they knew we'd be a-lookin'!)

Attachments

• iphone_ctia.jpg
    iphone_ctia.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,927

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
"Home" icon screen wallpaper? Maybe not...

Excellent observation. It does appear that now the icon screen can/will have a darker, ghosted image of one's wallpaper behind it.

Upon examination of video footage of this speech, it seems that the question of wallpaper on the "home" icon screen is still inconclusive. Despite the photo (or video still?) above, actual video footage of the speech has now surfaced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Q59niQtT0

In this video it is clear during the demonstration that the "home" icon screen's background is black, as previously seen on the iPhone.

The only explanations I can think of for this discrepancy are that the photo above was Photoshopped (although it appears to have come from official news sources, so why would the press go to that trouble?) or that the photograph was taken at the exact instant where the "lock" screen transitions into the "home" screen and the last moment of fade-out has been captured (although that seems awfully unlikely).

Aside from this wallpaper issue, this video of the demo is notable in that is shows a supposed first-timer easily operating the iPhone with one hand, using his thumb. He doesn't attempt to type on the keyboard -- perhaps the biggest challenge for this one-handed thumb approach -- but he does unlock the phone, navigate to a video, and return home fairly handily using only his thumb. This may be a good sign for those previously concerned about the notion that the iPhone would require two hands to use easily.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
In this video it is clear during the demonstration that the "home" icon screen's background is black, as previously seen on the iPhone.

What about this bizarre image near the end of the video clip? It looks like a glitch appeared. Blue screen of death? :eek:

Attachments

• iphone_grbg.jpg
    iphone_grbg.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,110

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
That's an album cover for Coldplay's X&Y album from a few years back.

(Or my sarcasm-detector is broken)

mokujin776

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2007
Thank you so much for providing this.
I am sure that it will be very helpful for many peoples.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.