Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeglongo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Hey guys, I decided I want to get the iPhone, and it seems to me that Sprint has the best individual plan for me. They also said they have a student discount for me.

Anyone have thoughts on sprint, negatives/positives?

I hope positives... because I really am not sure how I'll be spending more than 80 bucks on an individual plan for myself

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
It depends where you live. There are some areas that have data speed problems. I don't in the Seattle area, however.

TheiPhoneChick

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
Here comes the Sprint bashing thread!! In all honesty, I don't have problems with Sprint or their coverage. My speeds on the 4S are pretty much the same as before with my Evo. I am happy! Their customer service is not the best in the world and can be a pain sometimes but they are getting better and I don't have a problem when I call in any more. Just my experience, I am sure others will have other things to say about theirs.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Sprint is great for me in Michigan , great speed and there price can't be beat for me.

hwnstyle21

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Not too sure how much your student discount takes off but a quick way to save $10 and gain 50 extra minutes is by using the Open Employee Referral Program. Sprint's VP of Strategy has openly given out his email/cid (Russ.S.McGuire@Sprint.com and 383) via his own website. Not so much of a big thing like the old school $30 sero plan (I used to have). I'm not with Sprint (I just switched to ATT) but I thought it'd be helpful.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Be sure that you want to stick with Sprint service because even if you cancel between the 2 week cancellation period, they'll still come up with some nonsense and charge you a lot (even if you only tried out Sprint service for 3 days).

Greg M

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Be sure that you want to stick with Sprint service because even if you cancel between the 2 week cancellation period, they'll still come up with some nonsense and charge you a lot (even if you only tried out Sprint service for 3 days).

They nailed me and I only had their terrible service for 4 days. I ported my numbers to them and then ported them out. Numbers I've had for 10 years! They want to charge me for a whole month as well as activation fees. They say because I ported my number out they charge for the whole month.

Don't believe their coverage maps. My area showed strong signal but I still had trouble with dropped calls and nonexistent data. Real easy to offer unlimited data when it's so hard to get it!

beret9987

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Personally, I haven't had an issue with Sprint. I go to school near Sacramento, travel frequently to San Francisco and Seattle and it's done me good. Granted, there are some rough spots like any carrier but overall, its a good bang for your buck in my opinion. Just make sure you check out your coverage in person with the phone during your trial period(like you should with any new carrier) and you should be fine! Enjoy your new service/iPhone :D

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Switched to Sprint from AT&T. My company has a nice discount with Sprint and AT&T was dropping calls like crazy for me and my family. While the data is slower than AT&T I haven't been dropping calls so all in all it has been a good move.

mikeglongo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Oky, thanks guys, At&t also has a discount for students, so I might actually look into At&t now because they offer me more of a discount

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.