iPhone stolen after delivery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Missbritt4, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Missbritt4 macrumors newbie

Missbritt4

My boyfriend for some dumb reason decided to get his bland new iPhone delievered to our apartment building right in front of our door, & it was stolen when we weren't home. Is there anyway to track it once it's turned on and activated, will Apple be notified?

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

AFAIK, you can't track it unless you sign in and have Find my iPhone enabled. I would first contact UPS/FedEx and say you never received it. Normally someone has to sign for it. If they aren't any help I would call up Apple and explain what happened.

3. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

4. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Just wondering, how would they have the serial number if they never received the device? I don't remember the serial numbers being on the receipt, but I could be wrong.

5. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

How was it delivered without a signature? If that was not authorized by your BF, then the shipper should be liable for it. If your BF gave his permission for it to be delivered without a signature, then it's on him, and he's likely SOL.

You could try monitoring local eBay and/or CL sales of "New, In box iPhones", especially if you have the serial number and IMEI number from Apple. If you find someone selling one matching the description of your BF's phone, ask for the numbers to make sure it's not locked. And then report to the police ASAP. After reporting your BF's phone as stolen, as mentioned above, of course...

C

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

If the OP bought it through Apple, when they ship it, the serial gets posted to your Support Profile page (https://supportprofile.apple.com/). I had my serial number long before I received my phone last September.

7. canuckRus, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

I believe all delivered Apple products require a signature. Suggest you contact Apple first to explain problem, next, carrier as well as your credit card issuer to establish a claim.

8. aKansasKid macrumors regular

When your order is ready to ship, Apple gives you the option to pre-sign for delivery. I ordered one last night and declined that option.

9. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

This is not true. Most high-end Apple products purchased from/shipped from Apple do require signature, but third party retailers have their own rules. Also, the cheaper items purchased from Apple do not require signature for delivery.

Most shipping agents offer the ability to pre-sign a waiver or release to have the item left at a designated location, but I've also heard that Apple does not allow this option for iPhone, iPad and Macs.

Not really sure what to make of this whole thing. I guess the OP is going to have to provide some details, but his best bet is to contact Apple and the shipping agent and see what they are able/willing to do.

10. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Yeah, the support profile would be good to check. Receipt might have the IMEI, which you can give to Applecare so they give you the serial. I guess it depends on where you got it how accessible the serial number will be. :confused:

11. cynics macrumors G3

If the delivery company can't help report it stolen to Apple.

People think Apple can't do anything but its not that they can't, they just don't want to be bothered with it. Which in a sense I can understand, its not their problem.

My roommate unknowingly bought a stolen Mac Mini a few years ago. Just slightly more then 24 hours after he signed in using his AppleID two local cops came to the door to take it and question us. It ended up being stolen directly from Apple. By some miracle the seller refunded his money without a return, we never found out if the seller was in on it or not however we think he was since he refunded the money with virtually no questions asked.

12. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Sounds like OP is trying to create a precedence for replacement or refund by starting a thread here and will probably try to link it when a complaint is made to Apple.
    Sounds very unlikely cause Apple doesn't allow delivery for iPhones without signature. This story about the courier dropping it off is very fishy!

13. cynics macrumors G3

You can leave a note for FedEx as a signature waiver. Its up to the drivers discretion whether its safe to leave, generally they will to avoid the headache of an anger customer. If they don't feel its safe they will deliver the next day.

14. TheTom9 macrumors member

TheTom9

Nonsense, you need a signature even for a delivery with clothes or if you decide not to then the only option is to keep the item at a safe place (most likely) which then isnt UPS's fault. On the other hand, delivery companies like UPS/FedEx would never do such a thing as leaving a parcel at a door whether it's worth $3 or $900

15. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

16. cynics macrumors G3

Like I mentioned you can just leave a note.

http://videocenter.van.fedex.com/learn/signature-required

17. TheTom9 macrumors member

TheTom9

Alright, my mistake then. I just never received a thing that would not require a signature, that's why it seemed a bit strange, but then again, why would you do such a thing when you are buying something in that price range.

18. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I never said it was smart... :) I'm pretty sure that if you do that, you relieve the shipping company of liability if the package disappears between the time they drop it off and the time you look for it. I sure wouldn't do that for something I valued. You know, like a $1000 cell phone... I'd rather have it held at the nearest delivery center, personally...

C

19. cynics macrumors G3

I'm not saying that is actually what he did and I agree its a pretty dumb idea depending on the circumstances.

I say circumstances because the packages I get that need a signature I always leave a note. I know all the neighbors in my building and they will bring stuff in from outside passed the locked door, I do the same for them. On things that are really expensive like my Mac I ask my neighbor to sign for it and she'll keep it in her house until I get home.

20. TheTom9 macrumors member

TheTom9

That's right, it's strange especially because I'm not aware of the "no signature needed" deliveries here in the UK from any courier, that's why I assumed it's the same for the US.

On the bright side, these courier companies are often very flexible when it comes to an issue like this because they want to keep their good name and the customer so I don't see why they wouldn't compensate the amount of the iPhone (in case it hasn't been signed) and in case there's no picture of the delivery box where it was placed when delivered, Because they usually take a picture of that too for reference.

21. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

The shipper can instruct the courier to not leave package unless signed for. Apple does this in Canada. Here, the courier has no choice but to adhere to the shippers instructions. The customer has no say in the matter!

22. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

You guys are freaking out lol. UPS left my iPhone 6S at my door step with no signature. It happens.

23. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Or simply request a hold for pick up at your local fedex. I either have it delivered to my work or I have request a hold for pick up in which I can go ahead and pick up at my local fedex. I never have fedex deliver at my house as I am never there during the day and I would rather pick it up after work.

24. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

UPS recently dumped a $3,000 telescope on my front porch where it sat all day until I got home in the evening, I was shocked. Other times they have left notes saying they were there and a signature is required, so either there is no rhyme or reason to sig or its on the request of the sender.