Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
While I would love cheaper iPhones/storage, clearly the people still want iPhones at these price tiers.

Agreed. I am interested but was taken aback by the pricing of the last two updates of iPhones. Consequently, I am still using an iPhone 4S. Apple risks a cycle whereby people hold on to their phones until they fail becuase the new models are so expensive. I suppose that is good for the environment, but it is not good for the Apple 'ecosystem'. Let me put it this way: how many people do you see rocking obsolete or outright broken iPhones? Where I am the number seems to grow every day and this hardly projects the kind of image I think Apple wants to project.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Flawed logic. You would be better off with a smaller size and iCloud then the other way around.

The 512GB iPhone is $1449.

Being that I plan on keeping the phone for 4 years (my last phone I kept for 3 years), I think it works out in the long run.

I've had nothing but a headache and hassle with iCloud, Apple Music, and iCloud Photo Library. To this day I have STILL have problems with it and I'm sick of it.

I can put my entire photography, family photos, music, and home videos at full quality on the device and still have 100 gb to spare for apps/games.

I'm getting tired of depending on having a connection for things to update (ie Google Photos does all its tricks in the cloud then send the info to the apps) since they insist on doing everything on the phone (on each damn device) that takes forever to process while connected to power and on wi-fi, there's no benefit to using Apple's iCloud servers.
[doublepost=1537813576][/doublepost]
Agreed. I am interested but was taken aback by the pricing of the last two updates of iPhones. Consequently, I am still using an iPhone 4S. Apple risks a cycle whereby people hold on to their phones until they fail becuase the new models are so expensive. I suppose that is good for the environment, but it is not good for the Apple 'ecosystem'. Let me put it this way: how many people do you see rocking obsolete or outright broken iPhones? Where I am the number seems to grow every day and this hardly projects the kind of image I think Apple wants to project.

Every day I see people with more and more outdated iPhones. It's just not a thing anymore to have the latest and greatest. Apple can talk all day about powerful CPU's and GPU's, but at the end of the day, most people are only use Safari, Facebook/Instagram, Mail, Music, and iMessage. None of that requires a Geek Benchmark score of 25,000.

I personally will be rocking my XS Mas for at least 4 years.

Reactions: VulchR

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
People want the most Innovative storage possible and 'It's Not Cheap to Do That'

/ Tim "greed is good" Cook

Is Apple greedy because he charges more than you want or are you greedy for wanting it for less? I’d say that the tie goes to the latter, just because you’re the only one accusing anyone of greed.

Reactions: I7guy

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I can see clearly from a company and consumer perspective view and understand the economics of it all. I don't agree with how Apple is structuring the price of its products but at the same time I see why because of a consumer's willingness to spend. Overall, iPhone is profitable as there is no other Apple product line where we see a new model coming out yearly.

That's true. I guess just I miss when Apple measured success by how it improved customers' lives rather than by the price of the company's stock. I can honestly say that the Mac, Laserwriter, and iPhone made my life more productive and enjoyable. That's why I was willing to pay high prices for them. Now, however, Apple's products are m'eh and I am reluctant to pay premium prices for incrementalism, particularly when IMO the wrong technical specifications are begin optimised (e.g., the DPI for the screen rather than battery life of the iPhone). I say this as somebody who first started using Apple products with the Lisa and has brought the company a great deal of business over the years....

Reactions: AutisticGuy

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Well this means we can give up on ever getting an SD slot.

It truly amazes me there are so many people here who will brag about how great Apple is *because of* their high profits, when the reality is other companies simply aren't as eager to gimp their products in pursuit of the short term bottom line.

Timmy's Apple simply can't comprehend what came so naturally to Jobs, that long term customer loyalty trumps short term price gouging. Apple truly is the new Microsoft and it's only a matter of time before someone comes along and disrupts them.
Apple failed under Jobs too. Forget that part? Why do you guys think Apple was so great with Jobs and so poor with Cook?

Cook has taken Apple to the next level and Cook was always the genius behind Jobs. Read the articles on it. Jobs valued Cook more than anyone, which is why Cook had the highest salary at Apple and got the most stock options of any executive.

The supply chain was a disaster before Cook got there. He MADE Apple work. Jobs was a great idea man, but Cook is a better negotiator (Jobs said this himself) and a great manager.

Cook is a GENIUS, no 2 ways about it. I don't care if Jobs handed him the iPhone. Cook sells over 3X the iPhones Jobs ever sold and has refined the supply chain to be world class.

Cook also pushed silicon to be the best in the industry, produced the number 1 watch, and has made the best iPhones ever at Apple.

When the numbers start saying differently, I'll change. Until then, stop hating. Jobs LOVED and respected Cook probably more than anyone in business. If Jobs gave the reigns to Cook, how can he be the devil y'all make him out to be?

Reactions: I7guy and G5isAlive

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
Enjoy paying $300 for an upgrade that costs Apple $30, making $270 extra for doing no innovation just limiting your device from having tons of storage and freedom to inter-change storage, wow so nice of Apple to stop that and charge you 10x more. Where do you guys come from?

Haha- yup, kinda funny, isn't it? Every time there's an article about Apple price gouging, there's a bunch of little minions on this site that are quick to weigh in and DEFEND the fact that they're getting absolutely hammered on up-selling by one of the richest companies in the world. Apple sure does know how to build a brand, don't they? These people would rather give that money to Apple than keep that money for their own families.

These valiant defenders of Apple's honor actually applaud the company for charging them more. No kidding. And they will mock you for wanting this trillion dollar company to make do with slightly thinner profit margins and give you the customer more for your money.

Either they are rich and have hundreds of thousands invested in apple stock, or they actually work for Apple, or their parents buy all their really cool iToys and they absolutely don't care how much it costs.

I get it, I like some of their stuff too. But its ok for ask for more for your money. It really is. Apple will be ok.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Frankly, I don't see any reason to buy more than 64 GB in a cell-phone. I've had that for the last year on my iPhone X, and I've never run out of space. (Note: I have 2 TB in the cloud, so everything is accessible to everything.)

Reactions: StyxMaker

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
That's true. I guess just I miss when Apple measured success by how it improved customers' lives rather than by the price of the company's stock. I can honestly say that the Mac, Laserwriter, and iPhone made my life more productive and enjoyable. That's why I was willing to pay high prices for them. Now, however, Apple's products are m'eh and I am reluctant to pay premium prices for incrementalism, particularly when IMO the wrong technical specifications are begin optimised (e.g., the DPI for the screen rather than battery life of the iPhone). I say this as somebody who first started using Apple products with the Lisa and has brought the company a great deal of business over the years....
I, for one, don't want to pay at these prices for the XS and Max because there are features that I don't use and unfortunately smartphones nowadays have become multi-use all-in-one. TBH, the only thing peaked my interest with the XS is the Gigabit LTE modem but after researching and no definitive date when the carriers say it will be available (it may be a year, two or three year years away from consumers getting close to those speeds), I think I can wait and probably by then I will upgrade. I primarily use my i6 for talk, text and internet and it serves my purpose for what I use it for. I use an iPod to listen to music and since Apple only supports it for short-term (last time iOS update available for my iPod was over 3 yrs ago) so it make no sense for me to buy a new one and I have a feeling it will be dropped soon and with new iPhones now available in large memory capacities. Since I don't use the iPhone for gaming and videos, so do I wait until new model come out and buy an older one? I think it may be the only option if I don't want to pay at these prices for new model. At least with the iPhone, the iOS updates will still be available for 4-5+ yr old models.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Then buy one with less memory or buy a cheaper phone.

It costs $3M for a 800 square foot house in the city I'm in right now. Is that greed? Or is that just what it costs?
Well that depends , is there 600 other selling the same house for half the price?If so, then yes it is greed.
And btw wee are not talking if you can or can't buy a phone but the price of that phone in max storage, mind you iPhone doesn't have sd port...so yeah.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well that depends , is there 600 other selling the same house for half the price?If so, then yes it is greed.
And btw wee are not talking if you can or can't buy a phone but the price of that phone in max storage, mind you iPhone doesn't have sd port...so yeah.
You can’t buy “the same” phone for less. You can buy a crappy android phone for less.

Reactions: G5isAlive

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Never saw a fellow Porsche owner complain.

Between tequipment options and the exclusive program at Porsche. We love the ability to personalize the car to our specifications, and yes this comes at a cost, but one that customers are willing and eager to pay.

Most do complain about time involved in waiting for a car to be completed.

Its not clear that all the Mac/Apple Watch/iPhone/iPad complainers are actually owners either.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have a 128gb ipad pro 12.9” that is almost 3 years old. I also have a 32 gb iphone se. Every 6 months I quickly airdrop my photos and videos from the phone to the ipad then drop everything off onto my PC. I have 24 tb on the pc for storage. I do like to take pictures and videos along with screen shots. I organize everything into dated folders on my PC. Has worked for me for 20 or 30 years so far (the pc with dated folders).

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
Why would anyone need 500GB in a phone. Then again I find it bizarre people actually want a 6.5 in screen on a phone, but that's another topic.

Just because you or I do not need those features does not mean nobody does. Clearly some people do or Apple wouldn't make them.

Apples seems to not understand elasticity of demand. They consistently overcharge to the point I rarely buy their products now.

I think Apple has proven that the demand for their products is not elastic. They are able to charge what they want, and while I agree the prices are too high - they're not too high for most of their customers apparently. They've left me behind though if they keep this up.

KhrisGarcia

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Do you know basic math?

$90 Intel 512GB SSD drive bought from store vs $350 Apple markup going from 64GB to 512GB. That's almost 4x markup to end user.
Not a comparison you can make giving the circumstance. The intel ssd isn’t even nvme.

Reactions: FFR

AZ63

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Well this means we can give up on ever getting an SD slot.

It truly amazes me there are so many people here who will brag about how great Apple is *because of* their high profits, when the reality is other companies simply aren't as eager to gimp their products in pursuit of the short term bottom line.

Timmy's Apple simply can't comprehend what came so naturally to Jobs, that long term customer loyalty trumps short term price gouging. Apple truly is the new Microsoft and it's only a matter of time before someone comes along and disrupts them.
It all comes down to when does Apple bother you enough to stop buying their products. I still use the 6s because I don't like the changes. I was going to update to the new SE but Apple did away with that. So I continue with the 6s. I am fine with keeping my money. I was going to buy the last Mac Mini update but Apple crippled it so I didn't. Still using my 2012 SSD MacBook Pro as our home machine as Apple has not created a headless Mac worth buying, IMO.
Steve Jobs, at a press conference, once said, when responding to complaints, we create products we think people will want, if people don't buy them then we will evaluate the product to make it something the public will buy. That is not a perfect quote, hence no quote marks, but you get the idea. If people don't buy Apple products in large enough quantities then Apple will change. But if Apple has record profits and Tim can tout his top customer sat. stat. then all is golden in the world of Apple's product lines. It all comes down to the public. Capitalism, make people happy and you get rich. Apple can testify to that. I, for one, am a little less happy with Apple over the last 3 or so years.

Reactions: DevNull0

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I agree. At the very most, the most expensive iphone should only cost as much as the most expensive ipad pro...if that. I know that more and more people now use their iphone as their only computer, camera and entertainment device...but come on. I guess Apple knows how addicted people are to their iphones. It’s like a crack addict & their dealer. They know they’re hooked and can charge them whatever they want.

There is a clear differentiating strategy. Overall, one might even argue that Apple is offering more options and lower pricing on excellent products overall, while bumping the margins and retail costs on the absolutely latest and greatest. It's a clever approach -- they end up with volume driving but possibly lower margin options, while enjoying healthy margins on the latest models. I suspect cost is also an issue. The latest models do employ the latest technology. Some components do doubt cost more.

Storage, on the other hand, is a cash grub. Margins must be off the charts on those "upgrades." But again, those who need it will pay for it. Apple didn't become a trillion dollar company by accident, right? :D

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
It's not about the price to me, it's principle. I pay a premium for Apple products, I won't pay more for iCloud storage. I'd rather just turn iCloud off.
If you turn iCloud off anyway, then whatever Apple offer for free doesn’t matter then. :p

Reactions: FFR

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
not well. doesn't stop people though :)

Hahaha, that’s a great response.

Did you catch any of the posts that were complaining about being forced by apple to purchase the Xs max 512gb. They claimed apple was personally insulting them.

It was wierd .

Reactions: G5isAlive

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
64GB is plenty for me, I don’t need all my photos and music all the time.

128 should be the entry level though.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
While 512Gig model would make more $$$ for Apple, its a strange way to say "We want users to use iCloud"

While, in comparison... if you waned to get people to use a service wouldn't you wanna NOT give them more local storage ?

That would force people to delete, and use the cloud more. As Apple gives you more storage with every phone release, All they are doing is weakening the amount of data you store in the cloud less and less, and shifting it to local storage on the phone, more and more

Last edited:

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
In my industry, it is true that eventually, all companies take that approach. It marks the company’s entrance into the death spiral. There is the founding of the company, its birth, growth, plateau, stagnancy, desperation, and death spiral, followed by rebirth and repeat. The only products produced over the lifecycle of a company that have any lasting value are those produced during its birth and growth phases, during which the company is generally chaotically led by product people/creatives/artists, maximizing real value into every product. This is the phase during which the company exists to give the customers products they will undeniably desire, and forges the companies reputation. The other phases are the best for business and finance people and exist to extract the cash value of that reputation while decimating the product line to only the best sellers and stripping as much cost of each, while keeping prices as high as possible. Apple is not unique. It has and continues to follow the same path hundreds of companies I worked with over the years have, that now exist only as logos on stickers. Luckily, electronics numbers are so large it should be able to weather the storm of more rebirth-death cycles.
I believe companies exist in all of those stages simultaneously. In other words, you can make great products and charge whatever you want (really whatever the market bears) for them at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.